Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Paging Sweet FA, met an absolutely delightful greyhound today, former therapy dog 'pparently, but kept shiverin' an' a-quiverin' so much he rattled his teeth - owner said this wasn't because he was cold but because he was happy and 'pparently this is what they're all like, is this true ? :D
My whippet always shakes & shivers, but always seems cold

Paging Sweet FA, met an absolutely delightful greyhound today, former therapy dog 'pparently, but kept shiverin' an' a-quiverin' so much he rattled his teeth - owner said this wasn't because he was cold but because he was happy and 'pparently this is what they're all like, is this true ? :D
Yes it's a thing :D When they're really happy or excited, their teeth chatter. They usually need to be pretty comfortable with the people they're around. Blue does it when he's having a cuddle and you scratch him under his chin.

You do need to watch them in the cold though - very short fur, zero fat; no insulation at all. When I first got Nico, the rescue people said the rule of thumb is 'if you need a coat, he does'. Atm he's wearing his pyjamas during the day cos it's bloody freezing.

Frankie shivered when he first came to my place last Marchish (don't check the web for illnesses that shivering can be a symptom of), but I realized afterwards that he'll have come from a centrally heated house. He doesn't do it any more touch wood. The electric blanket was on last night and he finally slept inside the covers down the bottom of the bed.

How exciting! What was the rosette for? Is there a rescue group or have I read that wrong?

We have a prime pedigree boy here that looks like a hedge dweller currently. I do feel a bit guilty sometimes but he’s too wild to be shown. 😄
He’s also just destroyed my duvet cover by jumping up for a cuddle after his walk.

Was delighted to see the OES win the pastoral group yesterday then had a little cry because I miss Lucy so much.

I have started laying the groundwork in my campaign. First, how much Humphrey needs a playmate. Then a subtle discussion about names. 👍

How exciting! What was the rosette for? Is there a rescue group or have I read that wrong?

We have a prime pedigree boy here that looks like a hedge dweller currently. I do feel a bit guilty sometimes but he’s too wild to be shown. 😄
He’s also just destroyed my duvet cover by jumping up for a cuddle after his walk.

Was delighted to see the OES win the pastoral group yesterday then had a little cry because I miss Lucy so much.

I have started laying the groundwork in my campaign. First, how much Humphrey needs a playmate. Then a subtle discussion about names. 👍
She came forth out of 63 of best working lab bitches. Not bad for her first ever dog show when she is used to being in the field working.

Yes I do believe there is a rescue one, can’t remember what it’s called. We are currently deciding what to do for dog number 2, I’m tempted with a curly coated retriever but we shall see

She came forth out of 63 of best working lab bitches. Not bad for her first ever dog show when she is used to being in the field working.

Yes I do believe there is a rescue one, can’t remember what it’s called. We are currently deciding what to do for dog number 2, I’m tempted with a curly coated retriever but we shall see

She is absolutely gorgeous!
Sorry if this is a daft question, I may have missed posts about her or forgotten if you said somewhere upthread or elsewhere on the boards, but what is her work?
Also curly-coateds are lovely and distinctive looking dogs :)

Following a sufficient period of mourning and rest after our 20-year-old beloved cat died last November, we started making noises about wanting to get a dog. Quite suddenly and unexpectedly, we find ourselves today the ecstatic owners of not one but two gorgeous dachshunds :)

1872D039-3F4E-4B42-A7B1-62C2CE76232B.jpeg

10.45 pm update. These fuckers have endless energy and won’t stop running around wanting to play, and following us with excitement every single time one of us gets up and leaves the room. We’ve taken them for a walk and then let them out in the garden three times, and still as hyperactive as a coked up City trader on a Friday afternoon.

I was expecting them to be a bit shy if not to whine yearning for the previous owner for the first few days, so delighted they’ve immediately taken to us and don’t seem to miss their previous family (they’re just over a year old), but I hope they get depleted soon :D

10.45 pm update. These fuckers have endless energy and won’t stop running around wanting to play, and following us with excitement every single time one of us gets up and leaves the room. We’ve taken them for a walk and then let them out in the garden three times, and still as hyperactive as a coked up City trader on a Friday afternoon.

I was expecting them to be a bit shy if not to whine yearning for the previous owner for the first few days, so delighted they’ve immediately taken to us and don’t seem to miss their previous family (they’re just over a year old), but I hope they get depleted soon :D

I had that same issue when I first took Kail home, hyper and following me around etc. I was told that his breed type chill out when they hit like 2 years old.

Lying bastards.

I had that same issue when I first took Kail home, hyper and following me around etc. I was told that his breed type chill out when they hit like 2 years old.

Lying bastards.
To be fair, they (and they’re both boys) haven’t been neutered, which I suspect amounts for some of the extra energy and vigorous behaviour. As soon as we feel they’re settled enough with us we’ll be giving them the snip, which I’m sure will help.

Has anyone tried one of those dog behavioural/ obedience courses, and did you see an improvement in your dog’s behaviour? Our new boys are lovely and not badly behaved in general, but one of them will just start barking non-stop at the very sight of other dogs.

The people we got them from said that bizarrely he’s much more chilled around other dogs when not on a leash, which would certainly make life easier when in a park. But we’d still like to make him not to on a barking frenzy when sighting other dogs.

Back
Top Bottom