Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Death of Stalin

This looks good. From the writer of In the Loop.

Will we finally get a Stalin meme to go with all the Hitler downfall vids?

Anyway, Armando I. has a good track record, but this one has 'pet project' written all over it, which is never a good sign.

Will we finally get a Stalin meme to go with all the Hitler downfall vids?

Anyway, Armando I. has a good track record, but this one has 'pet project' written all over it, which is never a good sign.

Have you been on social media other than urban? It's overrun with teenage cos-playing tankies from Shitsville, Tennessee posting approving memes about Stalin and gulags. Shower of wankers sitting in shit.

Have you been on social media other than urban? It's overrun with teenage cos-playing tankies from Shitsville, Tennessee posting approving memes about Stalin and gulags. Shower of wankers sitting in shit.
I have observed the phenomenon.

Newman-and-Baddiel-History-Today.jpg

In terms of feature films, I think Iannucci's only done In The Loop and Alpha Papa, which were both spin-offs, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with original material. David Schneider and Ian Martin ("the swearing consultant") have co-written it too.

Sue's link led me to Yevtushenko's poem Stalin's Heirs, which led me to his:

"I first visited Moscow in 1951. I saw what I wanted to see and wrote a book called Journey into the Future (the title taken from Lincoln Steffens’ remark, “I have seen the future and it works”). With a whole generation of idealists I was caught in the web of Stalinism.

But disenchantment with the Soviet brand of Communism slowly crept upon me, and in 1962-63 I spent eight months travelling in the USSR, determined to write another, more truthful, book. I called it They Eat Their Babies in Russia."

Bob Gould archive. Heirs of Stalin, October 16, 2003

Disappointing.

Iannucci by numbers. Let’s get Kruschev to swear a lot! Let’s get Michael Palin to play that one role he does! Did you know Stalin wasn’t very nice, and that people were scared of him?

It’s not terrible, there are some good jokes and funny scenes, it just should have been a lot better.

In terms of feature films, I think Iannucci's only done In The Loop and Alpha Papa, which were both spin-offs, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with original material. David Schneider and Ian Martin ("the swearing consultant") have co-written it too.

Is David Schneider that tosspot who calls himself a 'social media expert' and does Guardian-sponsored seminars on how to use twitter?

Back
Top Bottom