Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Blues

Probably the best of the British bands of the 1960's (along with the early Yardbirds and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac). The only ones who were as inventive as the old blues guys:

I think I rate Son House higher than Robert Johnson...
Definitely. Must admit, I never really got Robert Johnson and the whole myth that built up around him is pretty naff. And without having a dig at anybody on this thread (I'm a blues fan too) the way the original delta blues has been frozen in time and essentialised is equally naff.

really interesting show here - only 4 days left to listen though! the real thing...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m32gk

b01m32gk_303_170.jpg

Radio 2 celebrates the life and music of the original hobo, David "Honeyboy" Edwards, whose death a year ago, severed a vital link to the music, memories and imagination that infuses all blues music.

American based music journalist and broadcaster Gianluca Tramontana conjures the "Wild and tangled forests, the broad, unhasting river flows, somewhere 'twixt Memphis and Tupelo", to the heart and home of Honeyboy.

Honeyboy Edwards was among the first generation of pre-war Mississippi blues musicians that rambled the countryside playing juke joints, picnics, house parties: anywhere music was needed.

He knew the first blues musicians to be recorded, such as Charlie Patton, and travelled with the founding fathers of blues music including Robert Johnson.

Honeyboy was one of hundreds of thousands teenagers hopping freight trains during the Great Depression. He travelled in search of work - to play music, but his weakness for gambling, wine and women often got him into trouble.

After the war he settled in Chicago where his reputation as the greatest country blues musician took hold.

Honeyboy's recent death marks the end of an era, that lives in the hearts of music lovers around the world. His life story is mostly untold, but it's a crucial slice of American history that has been in the shadows.

Tramontana hobos across the country - taking in Chicago, New York, Mississippi and the National Hobo Convention in Iowa - to understand the world and ways of a different type of American hero.

ALSO has a bit about modern day hobo style musicians in it...

I listen to the Honeyboy Edwards documentary. Interesting stuff. Nice there was a good mention of Big Joe Williams. I think he's great. Real rough and ready stuff - unrefined.

Probably the best of the British bands of the 1960's (along with the early Yardbirds and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac). The only ones who were as inventive as the old blues guys:

Not forgetting the man who gave a lot them their apprenticeship (a porbably the best 60 Brit blues album)-

Not forgetting the man who gave a lot them their apprenticeship (a porbably the best 60 Brit blues album)-

Yeah, I knew I'd forgotten John Mayal as soon as I hit "Post Reply". But at the same time I'm not that keen on John Mayal - I think he played it too straight. I like British blues which sound British, that do something with the genre.

Interesting record this...im digging it

"Electric Mud is a studio album by Muddy Waters. Released in 1968, it is a concept album which imagines Muddy Waters as a psychedelic musician. Producer Marshall Chess suggested that Muddy Waters record experimental, psychedelic blues tracks with members of Rotary Connection in an attempt to revive the blues singer's career.

The album peaked at #127 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart. It was controversial for its fusion of electric blues with psychedelic elements, but was influential on psychedelic rock bands of the era."

whole thing here

Pretty dissed record by all accounts - backward looking purists always bemoan this kind of thing
In an attempt to make Muddy more sellable to his newly found white audience, Chess lumbered him with Hendrix-influenced psychedelic blues arrangements for Electric Mud. Commercially, actually, the results weren't bad; Marshall Chess claims it sold between 150,000 and 200,000 copies. Musically, it was as ill-advised as putting Dustin Hoffman into a Star Wars epic.

Guitarists Pete Cosey and Phil Upchurch are very talented players, but Muddy's brand of down-home electric blues suffered greatly at the hands of extended fuzzy solos. Muddy and band overhaul classics like "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and "Hoochie Coochie Man," and do a ludicrous cover of "Let's Spend the Night Together"; wah-wah guitars and occasional wailing soprano sax bounce around like loose basketballs. It's a classically wrongheaded, crass update of the blues for a modern audience. The 1996 CD reissue adds interesting historical liner notes.

Cedric Burnside, on drums, is R L's grandson...

From up-country Mississippi.

There was a bit of a blues boom in the late 60s and at leeds University, they booked a small string of old bluesmen. I saw Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee a few times (who were great fun) but I was really impressed by Mississippi Fred McDowell..

Firing live Memphis blues session caught here - someone recommended some Robert Johnson to me and i came across this Richard Johnston by mistake!

great live clip here in a one man band style

Back
Top Bottom