Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Blues

Never heard much Skip James, kb. Any recommendations?

just get the early recordings - it all fits on one cd, and then he didn't do anything until the revival era in the 60s - most of his 60s recordings were re-records of the 20s stuff anyway...

hard time killin' floor blues is probably his most famous.

also devil got my woman, beloved of a generation of geeks & teen goths after featuring heavily in the film ghost world

i'm so glad - i think cream covered this one

Amazing voice. I like the ones he does with his wife (whose name escapes me but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say 'Mrs Johnson') She's got this this really sweet high voice that's unbelievable contrast to his growl. I used to have a couple of great songs by him that I taped off John Peel - I ought to do a bit googling and see if they're out there in torrentland.

This is a great video of Sister Rosetta Tharpe playing on Chorlton railway station of all places.

Hard to find a good version of this one on youtube, but this will do

I don't use the word 'hero' lightly but Son House is definitely worthy. You can probably find his (1970?) Peel session online, where he clearly sees it as his role to enlighten the young hippety-hoppers about this thing called the blues, accompanied by the kind of throat-clearing that would shame Bob Fleming.

"The blues....ain't none of your foolishness". Indeed :cool:

Kind of reminds me of Mississippi Fred McDowell's lines: "My name is Fred McDowell. They call me Mississippi Fred McDowell. But my home's in Rossville, Tenn. But it don't make any difference. It sound good to me, and I seem like I'm at home there when I'm in Mississippi. . . and I do not play no rock and roll, y'all. I just play straight `A' natchel blue." YouTube has lots, like this one:

Thanks again to danny la rouge for 'splainin' how this damn 'embed' thing works. :)

I'm trying to find something which shows just how inventive a guitarist Son House was. Someone help me out.

Back
Top Bottom