Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Beatles’ albums ranked - submit your ranking

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
The Beatles Albums Ranked. By me.

This is my ranking. Do yours.

1. Rubber Soul
This where the Beatles come into their own as songwriters and musicians. They had great songs before this, but not, I'd argue, truly great albums. I think it's their first not to have any covers. Earlier albums saw them rushing records out alongside their busy touring schedules. Here they seem to have had more time to spend on a finished product. (Although, charmingly, there are mistakes left in. McCartney said to Rick Ruben in McCartney 321 that their attitude was that if George Martin didn't notice, it got left in).

Rubber Soul is their stoners' album. They are smoking hash and including more countercultural themes into their work. There is more attention spent on their parts, and McCartney's bass throughout is terrific. The fuzz bass on Think For Yourself is great.

I'd argue too that Lennon's songwriting is at its peak here. In My Life is a masterpiece.

Right from the start there are surprises, including the deliberately misleading metre on the guitar intro to Drive My Car. It's hard to tell where the downbeat is once bass and drum are in, but it's certainly not where you'd initially expected from the guitar lines.

2. Revolver

For decades I'd have said this was my favourite, and had I done this list another day I might have put it at number 1. It's their best psychedelic album. I love the guitar sound. They were playing a new Vox tube and solid state composite amp at the time (they used it in Sgt Peppers too), and their guitar tone is beautiful.

The harmonies, by which I don't just mean vocal harmonies, are the best there had been in pop music until that time. Listen to the riff on Harrison's I Want To Tell You, and when the vocals come in, the piano hammers out a wonderful discord.

The lyrics are much more countercultural now, full of drug references and an urgency to share a different way of seeing the world. We've got backwards guitar, Indian inspired vocal ornamentation, and an end to side two that must have been a sonic shock to many Beatles fans at the time.

I think this is the peak of McCartney as a songwriter. In my view, Here, There and Everywhere is his best song.

OK, Harrison moaning about tax might not be very becoming, but it's a great song and right from the opening count-in you know you're in for something special.

3. Abbey Road

Lennon famously didn't rate it. He thought it was too slick. I kind of see what he means, but it's got Harrison's great songs on it. McCartney's bass on Something is a masterclass in how to serve a song. Busy when it needs to be, leaving space where that's called for, supporting the harmony in interesting ways that never detracts from the melody.

There's also I Want You (She's So Heavy). That mesmerising riff and the inclusion of non standard (for rock) chords.

Even the novelty songs sit nicely in the running order. Ringo can sing all he likes about Octopuses. He's Ringo fucking Starr.

4. Let It Be

Production wise, a bit of a mess. Some of the playing is sloppy. (Lennon's bass work on The Long and Winding Road is not up to scratch. He is clearly loaded, and has checked out). Spector's string arrangements are syrupy. They'd have been far better letting George Martin do it. But that all said, it's great. They're jamming with their old friend Billy Preston, and they're a damn good rock band.

5. Sgt Peppers

It's difficult to place this one. The cultural significance it embodies is literally phenomenal. But am I going to stick it on the turntable of an afternoon? Probably not. But then I was 2 years old when it came out. I don't "get" it in anything like the way listeners would have at the time. I can though appreciate the soundscape they sculpted, all on a four track. I've got more recording power in a free app that came with my phone that they had to record that groundbreaking album on!

Listen to Lucy In the Sky. The bass line totally lifts the chords. The disorientating tonal centre Lennon was going for is enhanced beyond measure by McCartney's bass. I remember as a youngster knowing the chords in the song book I'd bought were nothing like I was hearing on the record. And that's mainly to do with what McCartney does.

They wanted Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on the album, but the record company had demanded singles that weren't going to be reproduced on an album. (Interestingly, their US label, Capitol, had the opposite opinion). I think it would have benefited the album to have had those songs and maybe not a couple of others. But taken as a body of work, the album and that double A-side is quite an outpouring of creativity.

6. The White Album

See other thread. Flawed but fascinating.

7. Beatles For Sale

Their songwriting is becoming more reflective and starting to move away from boy meets girl love songs. Still replete with covers, but an album I will stick on the player in it's entirely.

8. All the others.

1 - Sgt Pepper. Day in the Life is probably the best track they ever wrote and nothing else touches the magic of For the Benefit of Mr Kite.

2 - Magical Mystery Tour. Technically an EP but it deserves the second spot.

3 - Revolver. Tomorrow Never Knows is a killer track.

4 - Yellow Submarine. Despite me not being fussed about the title track the rest are crackers.

5 - Rubber Soul. Isn’t it good?

6 - Abbey Road. Despite some great tracks I find there’s a lot of filler.

7 - The Beatles (White Album). Again lots of filler.

And then the rest.

4 - Yellow Submarine. Despite me not being fussed about the title track the rest are crackers.
Ooh, interesting. Do you mean the one with all the George Martin orchestration on side 2, or the “Yellow Submarine Songtrack”? The latter is properly a later compilation and not a contemporary release. (Although had it been it would have needed a place of its own in my list).

Agree totally with Rubber Soul being number 1. Their best album and also one of the best of all time. In my life is such a beautiful song that has many memories of the period in my life when I lived in Liverpool and was in my first 'serious' relationship.

2nd place for me would be Magical Mystery Tour (not strictly an album but it was a double EP which counts). Blue Jay Way, Baby you're a rich man and fool on the hill are fantastic tunes.

Then probably Abby Road, Sgt Pepper, Revolver, White, all the rest.

Ooh, interesting. Do you mean the one with all the George Martin orchestration on side 2, or the “Yellow Submarine Songtrack”? The latter is properly a later compilation and not a contemporary release. (Although had it been it would have needed a place of its own in my list).
The former. It’s got Hey Bulldog, Northern Song and All You Need Is Love on it. Wasn’t really rating it on the orchestral stuff from the movie.

Nothing before 1965, wow.
Outside of classical and jazz,
Albums weren't really seen as important as singles before then. More of a cash in, rush recorded, with quite a lot of filler. Beatles early LPs were better than that but is wasn't until Rubber soul that they approached it as a complete body of work. Influence of Dylan?

Outside of classical and jazz,
Albums weren't really seen as important as singles before then. More of a cash in, rush recorded, with quite a lot of filler. Beatles early LPs were better than that but is wasn't until Rubber soul that they approached it as a complete body of work. Influence of Dylan?
Indeed.

Joint top spot for rubber soul, revolver and Sgt peppers. With magical mystery tour soundtrack as a bonus add on.
This for me really was there purple patch and also included such cracking singles as strawberry fields, penny Lane, day tripper and paperback writer.
Some good stuff before and less so afterwards but pretty much everything they did 65 to 67 was gold.
Agree with dlr on genius of mc cartneys bass playing.

Joint top spot for rubber soul, revolver and Sgt peppers. With magical mystery tour soundtrack as a bonus add on.
This for me really was there purple patch and also included such cracking singles as strawberry fields, penny Lane, day tripper and paperback writer.
Some good stuff before and less so afterwards but pretty much everything they did 65 to 67 was gold.
Agree with dlr on genius of mc cartneys bass playing.
No Yellow Submarine?

Can’t be bothered to rank them all, but Revolver is a peak.

Of the early albums, Please Please Me and Hard Days Night are good and have a certain energy. However, I’ve never liked With The Beatles which is flat, lifeless and with some indifferent cover versions. Apparently the mono version sounds better though.

Not a big enough Beatles fan to give a ranking. But Seargeant Pepper definitely no.1. Maybe Rubber Soul or Abbey Road or Help! no.2.

Soft spots for the anthologies and the "naked" Let It Be. Latter of which might irk the purists. Although the original irked the purists as well...

1, Revolver - it's where the drugs kicked in, and it's just beautiful to hear these perfect 2-3 minute songs that nowadays would all get mixed out to 5-6 minutes long (yes oasis I'm looking at you)

2, The Beatles (aka 'White Album') - epic, eclectic, nothing else quite like it.

3, Sgt.Pepper's LHCB - a perfect 'live show as an album', being the position they found themselves in mid-60s of not really being able to play live any more. Contains Within You Without You, which has the best lyrics of any song ever.

4, The rest, no others tower above the way these 3 do for me (though some individual songs certainly do)

This seems as good a place as any to confess, when I was 13/14 I learned to play guitar by getting a Beatles Complete song book and learning nearly every song in it.

It's a good technique which I still recommend :D

Revolver
Rubber Soul
Magical Mystery Tour
Pepper
White Album
Help
Beatles for Sale
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Hard Days Night
Please Please Me
Let it Be
With the Beatles

I have a fondness for Beatles for Sale as it was the first one I ever owned and pored over obsessively until I had the cash to buy another - it cost £2.20 from the CO-OP in 1977. Help - as a soundtrack - is particularly strong with not much filler if any.

Back
Top Bottom