Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Back of the Kitchen Cupboard

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I expect many people are sorting out their kitchen cupboards these days. Finding items which need to be used up or thrown away. To make this more interesting post up anything that you want to use up, but are stuck for ideas. Then other people can make suggestions, ideally with common ingredients. So we reduce food waste and don't need to go to the shops so often, and learn new recipes.

I'll get the ball rolling with Agar Flakes, which I can't even remember why I bought (Vegetarian recipes).

I expect many people are sorting out their kitchen cupboards these days. Finding items which need to be used up or thrown away. To make this more interesting post up anything that you want to use up, but are stuck for ideas. Then other people can make suggestions, ideally with common ingredients. So we reduce food waste and don't need to go to the shops so often, and learn new recipes.

I'll get the ball rolling with Agar Flakes, which I can't even remember why I bought (Vegetarian recipes).
You could mix them with a nutrient, simmer the mix in a little water, then decant it into Petri dishes, and use it to isolate a single strain of mushroom from spores.

I have a jar of small lemons in brine :D

Over a year out of date but probs pretty well preserved. Suggestions?! Or just save them til the zombie apocalypse.

we had a cupboard clear out prior to all this nonsense - various out of date tins inc mackerel in some odd flavour sauce, peaches :), low calorie soup, chestnut puree.

I want to make a peach and almond cake of some description - even bought ground almonds for it.

Over a year out of date but probs pretty well preserved. Suggestions?! Or just save them til the zombie apocalypse.
Definitely save them for the zombie apocalypse. They sound too wrong to eat on any lesser occasion. Maybe buy some Pot Noodles to stash with them.

Ive got:
Tin of 2 year out of date pinapple rings.
Small tin of pilchards in tomato sauce.
Half a tub of chicken gravy granules.

Thinking bout making pastry and making a pie with the gravy. Got potatoes and some veg and various pulses and dried things. No meat but too bad!
The pineapple rings could go on my panna cotta!

For the pie filling just fry the potatoes and veg, add the gravy granules and water, and simmer for a bit. Add some grated cheese too if you have it.

do you have any chicken? bake salty lemons n chicken maybe some olives and any veg chucked in, few toms (ha;f a tin?) serve with carb of your choice.

At the back of my kitchen cupboard I found...

...a secret door

:eek:
Your secret door's no secret anymore.

gaccalamityjane.jpg

Reactions: Sue
I've been on a no/low carb diet so all the pasta I stopped eating is luckily still in the cupboard, won't last that long though. No bread to make sandwiches for my daughter but amazingly I did have some flour and yeast that I bought absolutely yonks ago . . .but only maybe enough to make three small loaves, and with veg running out and nothing in the shops Mrs Suplex and I will be needing carby bread stuff soon just so that we are still eating.

Anyway here is my first cake tin shaped loaf. A little bit flatter than most people would want, but not quite as flat as the picture makes it look. How do I make it rise more and be lighter?IMG_20200324_192322.jpgIMG_20200324_192322.jpg

we had a cupboard clear out prior to all this nonsense - various out of date tins inc mackerel in some odd flavour sauce, peaches :), low calorie soup, chestnut puree.

I want to make a peach and almond cake of some description - even bought ground almonds for it.

Ha, I had three year out of date chestnut puree that I threw out only a couple of weeks ago.

Make a chocolate, chestnut, truffle cake. The best use for chestnut puree

I have jar of (probably 5 year old) marmalade that hasn't quite set properly.

I was thinking of making a steamed pudding with that as a sort of drizzle, but idealy I'd prefer something savoury - I shouldn't really be having pudding if I can help it.

Any ideas? I know it goes really well with mackerel, but I'm looking for something veggie

I have jar of (probably 5 year old) marmalade that hasn't quite set properly.

I was thinking of making a steamed pudding with that as a sort of drizzle, but idealy I'd prefer something savoury - I shouldn't really be having pudding if I can help it.

Any ideas? I know it goes really well with mackerel, but I'm looking for something veggie

Grilled haloumi with a reduced hot marmalade and booze sauce and a rocket side salad? Savoury marmalade ideas are a toughie!

Are you sure it's ok btw? Def enough sugar in it?

Grilled haloumi with a reduced hot marmalade and booze sauce and a rocket side salad? Savoury marmalade ideas are a toughie!

Are you sure it's ok btw? Def enough sugar in it?
Oh. that does sound good.

Yeah, it'll be fine to eat. More than enough sugar in it. It's a preserve. It just didn't quite hit the right temp when it was on a rolling boil

As nogojones said, grain salads, but I'd also stick them in stews, especially Moroccan tagine type ones. I'm making a lot of variations on a basic tinned pulses/beans + chopped tomatoes + garlic and onions and paprika/ chilli with or without rice dinners at the moment and a little chopped preserved lemon thrown in would work well with that.

Yeast was in a sealed packet, but pretty damn old. Proved for two hours. It actually expanded quite a lot, but out more than up, and went down again in the oven.

Sounds to me like you've over-proved it, yeast is definitely not dead if it rose a lot on first prove. It should still have some oomph in it for after you've knocked it back and initial bit of cooking where it will rise some more, that is what is missing.

Back
Top Bottom