Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The art you like thread.

There are many articles about Dali being a misogynist as could have been the case with a few artists. Painting women without heads, tied up, pinned down etc. It's Really Surreal How Salvador Dalí Was a Fascist Who Hit Women
Interesting article.

But it does beg the question about separating the man from the art. It's a difficult one to answer. Can you love the art while despising the man? I think you can. I Dali's he was a self proclaimed narcissist and craved attention. I think a lot of what he did was for this end. But then he went so very much too far in a lot of what he did.

Even today he's causing controversy. I think he'd have liked that.

I'm not sure people saying 'This mans work is empty and vacuous, and he was a fascist misogynist' is evidence of Dali's trickster fingers spinning the wheels of controversy while he chuckles along tbf Dess.

I remember going to his folly/burial monument thing in Figueres in my early 20s and thinking pretty much everything in it was shit. At that tender age, I thought it was me and I wasn't "appreciating" it. Now I know that it really was just a bit shit.

Interesting article.

But it does beg the question about separating the man from the art. It's a difficult one to answer. Can you love the art while despising the man? I think you can. I Dali's he was a self proclaimed narcissist and craved attention. I think a lot of what he did was for this end. But then he went so very much too far in a lot of what he did.

Even today he's causing controversy. I think he'd have liked that.
Any publicity is good publicity if it helps raise the profile of the artist...Jeff Koons, Bruce Nauman, Robert Mabblethorpe, Tracey Emmin, Damien Hurst Etc.

On the other hand, Rembrandt was generally respectful to the people who commissioned him but went to town on those who took him for a ride. Freud was brutally honest about his subjects then lautrec who painted women, including prostitutes with sympathy, compassion and respect.

Freud was a creep who banged his students, I was not very surprised to read at a small exhibition of his I went to in the spring. Although the card I read this on was eye-rollingly euphemistic about it.

1589917348445.png

Youngest recognised son, too. <boak>

Celia Paul's own work is real good too, mind. But if you look her up she's always adjacent to Freud.

Great painter. Many artists had their "muses" neither of which is any excuse. As Someone has already said, can you separate the artist from their work.
there are of course glaring examples of great artists being implicated in immoral behaviour let's say. An obvious answer on who, for many, the jury is out is Bowie.
There are one or two I mentioned earlier who I can't stand nor can I stand their work and many would argue otherwise.
we digress from an otherwise beautiful thread.

I think it's ok to talk about the artists that created the work we're posting about, or it's just a wall of images - context is important. Freud was a great painter though, I agree. Despite being a creep and a cad.

I like his early style most - we have this one in my local municipal gallery

1589918539547.png

I love this guy, Alfie Carpenter. He does amazing landscapes made of bits of stuff stuck on to the canvas and painted over:

396B2D73-9B8D-4D56-BA90-AFC659CE77BA.jpeg

I met him when I cared for him in hospital, and he made art out of bits of patient information leaflets. Later, once he was discharged and better, someone commissioned him to make a painting of the Cow & Calf rocks on Ilkley Moor for my birthday. It’s got maps and other stuff stuck under. I love that painting so much, it’s one of my top 5 possessions.

I think it's ok to talk about the artists that created the work we're posting about, or it's just a wall of images - context is important. Freud was a great painter though, I agree. Despite being a creep and a cad.

I like his early style most - we have this one in my local municipal gallery

View attachment 213569
I love Freud too, I find his paintings almost all really beautiful.

John Atkinson Grimshaw painted a lot of sentimental nonsense, but his cityscapes were wonderfully atmospheric.

T00902_10.jpg

Liverpool, 1881

princes-dock-hull-john-atkinson-grimshaw.jpg

Hull, 1879

610c0dbae0b74a8320d62776d0b5d74a.jpg

Piccadilly, London, 1885-6

2019_CKS_17294_0142_000(john_atkinson_grimshaw_whitby_at_night).jpg

Whitby, dunno but probably about 1880

In Manchester Art Gallery they have some great cityscape paintings by a French painter called Valette, who lived and taught in Manchester - he was Lowry's teacher and you can see the influence (they are displayed side by side with a load of Lowrys - personally I prefer the Valettes, although they are more conventional paintings for their time).

1589981172743.png

All the art I've ever loved turns out to have been made by shitty men.

Paula Rego is the way out of that mess.

All the art I've ever loved turns out to have been made by shitty men.

Paula Rego is the way out of that mess.
I found at least one exemption! Congratulations to Christopher Campbell, dream artist and mentor without permission. Special badge headed your way x

I found at least one exemption! Congratulations to Christopher Campbell, dream artist and mentor without permission. Special badge headed your way x
Oh! And Dr Geof the tea and cats in tanks fetish comic overlord dude, obvs

I really need some guidance on whether this is even a thing iyswim :hmm:

I feel like I've been rickrolled by a new upcoming artist, but with a Sam :hmm: and I'm not sure what to make of any of it.

Finding it made my head explode like that Cindy Sherman? thing at the tate, two sheds , and did disconcerting things to my heart and nervous system and blood sugar levels :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom