Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Art Deco joy of Surbiton station

editor

hiraethified
It rally is a beaut:

surbiton-station-photos-01.jpg

surbiton-station-photos-06.jpg

surbiton-station-photos-08.jpg

In photos: the modernist swagger of Surbiton station – an Art Deco masterpiece in London

It's a striking station, with a pretty good burger van out the front too. Not very appealing at 8am on a wet December Monday when the platforms get so crowded there's danger of getting pushed on to the tracks :(

Used Surbiton quite a bit earlier this year. It's certainly a lovely building, in need of a bit of a paint job, but still grand.

Externally Richmond station is very similar, though its in need of a bit of love. Internally though its not as pretty. What there is are some cool BR posters from the 80's on display, such as:

southern_open_and_shut_poster.jpg
What I love is that in the second box the instructions for open do not match with the graphic on the left hand side. Very UK.

Love the "To The Trains" lettering over the stairs.

Gorgeous station. We don't have so much Art Deck Architecture in Ireland....

Dublin has a few nice buildings...
dit_lge.jpg

Dublin Institute of Technology...1939

I guess it's a major aspect in the way we use railway stations that we rarely stop to look closely at them - we're always in a hurry to be somewhere else or catch that train before it leaves. I've used Surbiton Station numerous times over the years but never really noticed the fine architecture.

It rally is a beaut:
surbiton-station-photos-08.jpg
That was my local (mainline) station, and for a good 20 years, that ceiling was a mouldering spectacle of peeling paint and neglect. They had just tarted it all up shortly before I moved to Wales - it's lovely to see it looking so good.

Platform 2, by virtue of the number of non-stopping trains that pass through it, has an unenviable reputation as a place where quite a few suicide attempts happen.

Platform 2, by virtue of the number of non-stopping trains that pass through it, has an unenviable reputation as a place where quite a few suicide attempts happen.

Wimbledon had the same, they've put barriers up now, but at Surbiton you do get the odd train stopping there, so they can't.

From Walton-on-Thames to Victoria had to change at Surbiton, then squeeze on to a packed stopping service to Clapham, then change to Victoria. Just one of the many, many things I hated about working in Victoria!

Back in BR days , you had a proper Station Manager , and several shift assistants. A job to covet I tell you.

Oak leaf cluster caps and all.

hadn't realised that the southern's brief foray in to art deco (ending with the restrained examples on what ended up as the Chessington Branch) was the work of the same architect, James Robb-Scott, as the Victory Arch at Waterloo, and the generation of 1920s stations like Bromley North

320px-18.02.12_Bromley_North_Station_%286898779907%29.jpg

(and I think there are one or two missing from the list of his stations on wikipedia)

I go through Surbiton once or twice a week, but far too fast to generally take it in. It does look superb from the fast train though. Are there any decent pubs in the vicinity, that would justify getting a slow train and having a proper look and a beer on the way home?

I go through Surbiton once or twice a week, but far too fast to generally take it in. It does look superb from the fast train though. Are there any decent pubs in the vicinity, that would justify getting a slow train and having a proper look and a beer on the way home?
I could probably reel off a list of names, but they'd be 15 years out of date. Surbiton was my stamping ground. :(

and another today

the lamp posts and boundary walls would almost certainly have been made 'in house' at the Southern's concrete works at Exmouth - a small collection of photos of Exmouth products here

cf0cbfaa62cd4c4280789536e0e9add2.jpg

Always liked Loughton station. Probably something the locals are unaware of...

If you know Loughton then you're appreciate the fact that the station used to actually end at Cafe Rogue, that's where the trains were kept and workshops there, as Loughton was the terminus for the line.

Station also feathure in a black and white clip, with steam trains and everything, in a docco I saw about the start of Metro Land, Loughton being one of them

My local station. Decent Fullers pub "The Flyer" next door to station, a spoons across the road in an old synagogue, and oddball but in a good way "The Lamb" a five minute walk away.

My local station. Decent Fullers pub "The Flyer" next door to station, a spoons across the road in an old synagogue, and oddball but in a good way "The Lamb" a five minute walk away.
My use of Surbiton as stamping ground largely predated "The Flyer" (which used to be Barclays Bank, IIRC). And, unless the 'spoons has moved, that was the old Ritz cinema - it wasn't ever a synagogue, though that big Star of David might be a bit of a misleading clue!

My old pub was the Southampton, which used to be in the building at the base of the tower block - that went in about 1990.

Back
Top Bottom