Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thailand tips needed please

skyscraper, can I just use my British card or Turkish card to get cash out? In Turkey the phone places at the airport are a rip off and charge more than the normal shops, is that not the case in Thailand?

How many days would people advise for Bangkok, at the end of the trip? I do like cities but I already live in a huge, hectic city..

I'd give it at least a couple of days to get a taste of the place, though of course the place is so big it'd take a week to scratch the surface. You will probably be OK with a British or Turkish ATM card, but could be wise to have a plan B, sounds like the king might be on his way out and the whole country will probably shut down for at least a day or two when that happens.

Can heartily recommend here for some beach time on the islands. Amazing food, setting and easy to meet people if you're alone: Welcome to The Sanctuary Thailand

Ps, don't go to Samui!

Agree about samui. I would say go to the west coast of koh phangnan for the sunsets. Takes a couple of hours from surat thani airport but well worth it and easy to do from the airport. I'm at Haad yao at the moment which is fecking gorgeous. If you want accom advise or anything let us know.

you can stay around the corner at barcelona resort on haad yuang beach for about 7-9 quid a night, you can walk there from the sanctuary. very very nice and chilled part of the world

Yeah, there are five other resorts very close to the sanctuary (eg: one min walk) where you'll find accom for less than £10.

I'm going to the sanctuary on the 23rd Jan for two weeks. Drop me a pm if you want info or a meet up!

Enjoy :)

skyscraper, can I just use my British card or Turkish card to get cash out? In Turkey the phone places at the airport are a rip off and charge more than the normal shops, is that not the case in Thailand?

How many days would people advise for Bangkok, at the end of the trip? I do like cities but I already live in a huge, hectic city..
Tell your bank you're going to be in Thailand and give them the dates as banks have a tendency to assume your cards have been cloned and cut them off when they start getting used over there unexpectedly.

Yeah, there are five other resorts very close to the sanctuary (eg: one min walk) where you'll find accom for less than £10.

I'm going to the sanctuary on the 23rd Jan for two weeks. Drop me a pm if you want info or a meet up!

Enjoy :)

Yoga or detox or colonic irrigation? ;)

No, nothing like that here Maharani. Thanks though. I'll get one the next time I'm in the UK. It's really expensive to use my Turkish card abroad so will stick to the British one.

There's something I'm worried about. When I'm really tired, or I've had a few drinks, I have a habit of losing/dropping things. Just in the last few weeks I've lost my discounted Istanbul card (like an Oyster card) and my bank card. It's like a weekly event for me. If this happens when I'm travelling alone in Thailand, the consequences could be really bad. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can avoid this happening?

I'm also trying to decide - long flight - window seat or aisle seat? (I'm not even taking a middle seat into consideration, hoping if I try the online check in as soon as I can, I have a good chance of getting the seat I want. And finally - backpack or wheelie?

Have two ways to get money. One on your person and one in your pack. At least that way you will not be left with nothing if a bag is nicked/left somewhere.

If that fails have somebody at home who can get you some money via western union.

As a third plan hide a $100 note under the sole of your shoe or somewhere

While your at it, make a pdf of your passport and other docs and email them to yourself incase you lose the passport.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
No, nothing like that here Maharani. Thanks though. I'll get one the next time I'm in the UK. It's really expensive to use my Turkish card abroad so will stick to the British one.

There's something I'm worried about. When I'm really tired, or I've had a few drinks, I have a habit of losing/dropping things. Just in the last few weeks I've lost my discounted Istanbul card (like an Oyster card) and my bank card. It's like a weekly event for me. If this happens when I'm travelling alone in Thailand, the consequences could be really bad. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can avoid this happening?

I'm also trying to decide - long flight - window seat or aisle seat? (I'm not even taking a middle seat into consideration, hoping if I try the online check in as soon as I can, I have a good chance of getting the seat I want. And finally - backpack or wheelie?

Get one of these:

Saved my life many a clumsy/drunken time.

How was it? Where did you go and what did you see?

Just had the best two weeks on koh phangan and koh tao. Absolute adventures in paradise :)

I am back and it was great!
As soon as I arrived in Bangkok, I got a train to Ayutthaya, which was a really nice intro to Thailand. Green, ruined temples. Rented bikes and went on a sunset longtail boat cruise around the ruins. Then went to Chiang Mai (via a very slow train), which I wasn't overwhelmed about. I was expecting more. Weather was boiling for the first few days and then tropical rainstorms for three :) Accidentally went on a 15 mile jungle trek, was horrendous as we thought we were just going for a little walk, were drenched in sweat and felt very very unfit. All due to a lack of communication and not wanting to ride elephants. Then we left the city and stayed at a lodge in the countryside, which was amazing. Even though it poured tropical rain relentlessly, we sat in front of a roaring open fire, drinking and reading and occasionally venturing out into the countryside.

At that point my friend and I parted ways as she was off to Cambodia. I went to Koh Phangan on my own. Wow, loved it! It poured with rain for the first day but picked up after that. I got a scooter and explored the whole island, visited lots of amazing beaches, waterfalls, had an encounter with monkeys, went to the night market, ate fabulous food, went up to a sunset point, swam in the sea at dusk, and fell asleep every night to the sound of the waves (my bungalow was right on the beach). Oh, and went to the English pub once - wow, it was just like a country pub back home!

I'll definitely go back. The only thing was I didn't have a conversation with anyone for a whole week! I'd prefer to go with a partner next time. There seemed to be lots of couples there and not many people alone, although I wasn't really bothered. Read lots, was riding the motorbike smiling to myself.

Then back to Bangkok where I met two friends, explored a bit, went to the cinema (we had to stand up for the anthem in respect to the King before the film!), um...ate, shopped and did a cooking course.

Thailand was so easy to travel in. I think living in Turkey has made me hard as I was on guard, waiting for someone to rip me off, but it just didn't happen. Had good experiences with taxis, tuk tuks, everywhere.

Thanks for all the recommendations here! Next time I think I'd go straight to the islands and spend more time there, I felt like the time in the North was a bit of a waste of my precious holiday time.

What did you get up to? I think I was near the Sanctuary at one point, is it on the East of the island?

The the english pub your talking about is the Masons Arms its a direct replica of the blokes pub at home. He copied it completely :)

Koh phangnan is amazing isnt it. I was there a couple of weeks and now in Cambodia heading down to Koh Rong :)

q5fKNDl.jpg

That's Erawan national park where I spent the best Christmas day ever a few years ago. Its a bus ride from Kanchanaburi, which is about 3 hours bus north from BK.

Pai, past Chang Mai, is another favourite.

EDIT I don't appear to have worked out image link yet, sorry.

EDIT 2, whoops, have now but its massive, sorry again.

I would say go to the west coast of koh phangnan for the sunsets.

Absolutely agree with with this too. And have a great example in a photo but not sure I should spam the thread with too many pics. We found some amazing cheap beach huts with their own Bay on the western side of the island.

I am back and it was great!
As soon as I arrived in Bangkok, I got a train to Ayutthaya, which was a really nice intro to Thailand. Green, ruined temples. Rented bikes and went on a sunset longtail boat cruise around the ruins. Then went to Chiang Mai (via a very slow train), which I wasn't overwhelmed about. I was expecting more. Weather was boiling for the first few days and then tropical rainstorms for three :) Accidentally went on a 15 mile jungle trek, was horrendous as we thought we were just going for a little walk, were drenched in sweat and felt very very unfit. All due to a lack of communication and not wanting to ride elephants. Then we left the city and stayed at a lodge in the countryside, which was amazing. Even though it poured tropical rain relentlessly, we sat in front of a roaring open fire, drinking and reading and occasionally venturing out into the countryside.

At that point my friend and I parted ways as she was off to Cambodia. I went to Koh Phangan on my own. Wow, loved it! It poured with rain for the first day but picked up after that. I got a scooter and explored the whole island, visited lots of amazing beaches, waterfalls, had an encounter with monkeys, went to the night market, ate fabulous food, went up to a sunset point, swam in the sea at dusk, and fell asleep every night to the sound of the waves (my bungalow was right on the beach). Oh, and went to the English pub once - wow, it was just like a country pub back home!

I'll definitely go back. The only thing was I didn't have a conversation with anyone for a whole week! I'd prefer to go with a partner next time. There seemed to be lots of couples there and not many people alone, although I wasn't really bothered. Read lots, was riding the motorbike smiling to myself.

Then back to Bangkok where I met two friends, explored a bit, went to the cinema (we had to stand up for the anthem in respect to the King before the film!), um...ate, shopped and did a cooking course.

Thailand was so easy to travel in. I think living in Turkey has made me hard as I was on guard, waiting for someone to rip me off, but it just didn't happen. Had good experiences with taxis, tuk tuks, everywhere.

Thanks for all the recommendations here! Next time I think I'd go straight to the islands and spend more time there, I felt like the time in the North was a bit of a waste of my precious holiday time.

What did you get up to? I think I was near the Sanctuary at one point, is it on the East of the island?

Was at the sanctuary for one week partying and having a good time and then doing couples things on koh tao. Had a really great second week on KT, we rented bikes and went to different beaches each day. Loved Au lak and the beaches around freedom beach.

Definitely all about the gulf of thailand islands, all the other stuff is touristy and can be seen elsewhere.

bump.

may be using airmiles for an october Half term thailand trip for the family - time is limited tho'- 8 days tops really. Aim is to have as much as we can on a beach with some snorkelling/ diving . I am loath to go to Phuket but it is easy to get to . Anyone got suggestions for a relaxing detination that is suitable for a family, ticks all the boxes, relatively easy/ quick to get to , and is not full of blokes in nylon toon tops cruising for prostitutes? Open to ideas - done thaliand a bit but not as a family holiday really......

Phi Phi is shit. Unless you want a party island. Come to Koh Tao for diving/snorkelling.

I've lived on Koh Tao for nearly 4 years. It's my favourite island out of all of them.

My experience of Phuket lat year suggested there is very litte to recommend it but of course I didnt go everywhere. You can fly to Phuket and get a boat to tge other islands including Phi Phi which is beautiful. Getting the boats between islands is very easy. Phuket airport is in the north of the island and the boats (at leat theboat we got) goes from the south so you will need transport - airport shuttle or taxi. We didnt do it that way round so you will need to research it.

There is a main town on Phi Phi that looks like it could be a bit of a hellhole but there are lots of resorts scattered around the island. You can only reach these by boat and the boat operators on the harbour of course have this all sewn up so don't expect any negotiation on price.

Depending on your flexibility, adventurousness and age of your kids, you could visit a couple of islands. Might be a bit much to pack into 8 days though.

I wouldn't take a family to phi phi. Koh lanta or lippe would be better. Or koh phang nan / tao on the other coast.

I wouldn't take a family to phi phi. Koh lanta or lippe would be better. Or koh phang nan / tao on the other coast.

Agreed, but with 8 days , is it really worth it? You're lookin at nearly a day to go from Phuket airport to anywhere nice. It's a long old flight for the kids. Why not go to the Canaries if you want some sun.

Avoid Phuket if you do go.

Back
Top Bottom