Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

That is a question which needs thought.
... which is why it’s useful to consider what researchers have found about how certain attitudes and behaviours are formed and entrenched.

See? I knew we’d get there in the end.

That is a question which needs thought. I would have said allowing people to have freedom and rights was a step in that direction.

The magic man in the sky is far too powerful for the simple minded though.
They have freedoms and rights but that also includes the freedoms and rights to practice whatever religion others see fit.

And stop its with this "magic man in the sky" nonsense, ffs. It makes you sound like an idiot.

Yes, I asked the question to Dandred in the context of what Dandred has been saying.
You missed my point rather, though. If your aim is to reduce the influence and power of organised religion (no easy task), a defence of secular values has to be the starting point.

... which is why it’s useful to consider what researchers have found about how certain attitudes and behaviours are formed and entrenched.

See? I knew we’d get there in the end.
No, we didn't.

There is no excuse for fuckwits beheading people in the name of someone who doesn't exist.

For the record, my secular values include not making policy decisions that prevent religious people undertaking their cultural norms (such as banning the wearing of headscarves) or informing immigrant populations that their beliefs in general have no place in my society.

For the record, my secular values include not making policy decisions that prevent religious people undertaking their cultural norms (such as banning the wearing of headscarves) or informing immigrant populations that their beliefs in general have no place in my society.
First part I largely agree. Second part is not so straightforward because you still have to address how to support people within those populations who are smothered by certain repressive beliefs. How do you protect both group and individual freedom? These things are often in conflict.

First part I largely agree. Second part is not so straightforward because you still have to address how to support people within those populations who are smothered by certain repressive beliefs. How do you protect both group and individual freedom? These things are often in conflict.
You don’t do it by cementing a “them and us” mentality, for a start.

Choose the parts you have a moral objection to and focus on attacking those specific actions, I would say, with evidence and reason. No moral relativism but also no blanket dismissal.

Oh, I’m a long way from being an enthusiastic supporter of multiculturalism in all its forms. There are many ways of formulating multiculturalist theories, however. They don’t necessarily require separation of community identity — quite the reverse, in fact.

Last edited:
Not really needed though is it?

Don't be a cunt because you believe in a magic man in the sky would be better advice, don't you think?

Don't be a cunt because you don't believe in a magic person of any or no gender in the sky would be a good piece of advice, don't you think?

Last edited:
I have a French friend and noticed she posted on Facebook the Charlie front cover with the title "not afraid".

I think its a thing on social media in France

Back
Top Bottom