Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

It's in the article if you read it.

“Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.
“But by and large, the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn’t. Instead the French should teach their people to respect other people’s feelings.”

I did read it. That's why I posted what I posted.

edit: Read it wrong, as it turns out. :oops:

Last edited:
Mo defo existed. It's big JC who's backstory is a bit more sketchy.

Both have around five generation between their deaths and their histories being written.

A period of forty years separates the death of Jesus from the writing of the first gospel. History offers us little direct evidence about the events of this period, but it does suggest that the early Christians were engaged in one of the most basic of human activities: story-telling. In the words of Mike White, "It appears that between the death of Jesus and the writing of the first gospel, Mark, that they clearly are telling stories. They're passing on the tradition of what happened to Jesus, what he stood for and what he did, orally, by telling it and retelling it. And in the process they are defining Jesus for themselves."

For fairness, should mention that the full context of the quote is a little glossed over.

Why are you so keen on being 'fair' towards a politician who claims Muslims have a right to slaughter innocent people (a sentiment no amount of 'context' can make any the less despicable)? I find this trend of tacitly legitimising murderous right wing ideas bizarre and dangerous.

It's in the article if you read it.

“Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.
“But by and large, the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn’t. Instead the French should teach their people to respect other people’s feelings.”
He also refers to 'the offending teacher'. Utter cunt. The worms are crawling out of the woodwork.

Why are you so keen on being 'fair' towards a politician who claims Muslims have a right to slaughter innocent people (a sentiment no amount of 'context' can make any the less despicable)? I find this trend of tacitly legitimising murderous right wing ideas bizarre and dangerous.

Because I misread one of the sentences. :oops:
I thought it said "Muslims shouldn't". It would make more sense than saying that "the French shouldn't" because the French have not been killing in revenge for these murders.

It would have put a very different slant on the first part (not enough of a different slant that I would have agreed, but a different slant to the headline on its own).
But that's not what he said.
The wanker.

Sorry (esp to Dandred). :facepalm:

Last edited:
Both have around five generation between their deaths and their histories being written.

A period of forty years separates the death of Jesus from the writing of the first gospel. History offers us little direct evidence about the events of this period, but it does suggest that the early Christians were engaged in one of the most basic of human activities: story-telling. In the words of Mike White, "It appears that between the death of Jesus and the writing of the first gospel, Mark, that they clearly are telling stories. They're passing on the tradition of what happened to Jesus, what he stood for and what he did, orally, by telling it and retelling it. And in the process they are defining Jesus for themselves."

Next you’ll be telling me Q is made up and Donald Trump isn’t going to Drain The Swamp next week. :rolleyes:

Not really needed though is it?

Don't be a cunt because you believe in a magic man in the sky would be better advice, don't you think?
It’s not advice. It’s a summary of recent political and social psychological research (of all types). Research, that is, into the identity formation of immigrants, the reaction of preexisting populations and how this is mediated by assimilation and multiculturalist models. What you do with that research is up to you. Seems pretty silly, though, to attempt to form ideas about policy and practice without at leat attempting to engage with the academic research about the subject you are formulating ideas for.

It’s not advice. It’s a summary of recent political and social psychological research (of all types). Research, that is, into the identity formation of immigrants, the reaction of preexisting populations and how this is mediated by assimilation and multiculturalist models. What you do with that research is up to you. Seems pretty silly, though, to attempt to form ideas about policy and practice without at leat attempting to engage with the academic research about the subject you are formulating ideas for.

I agree, but when people who believe in magic men in the sky, and then behead people because of their beliefs, it doesn't matter how academic you make it.

I agree, but when people who believe in magic men in the sky, and then behead people because of their beliefs, it doesn't matter how academic you make it.
Yes it does. You think these things are unresearchable? I didn’t put that book chapter link up for a laugh. It’s directly relevant.

Pages 8-9, for instance:

The negotiation of migrant identities within ethnic groups concerns for example normative pressures to conform to ingroup obligations (such as the maintenance of cultural traditions) and outgroup expectations (such as labor market integration). These negotiations may take place between first- and second-generation immigrants, between parents and children, or between high- and low-status group members (Wimmer, 2004). As a result, any characteristics, beliefs or practices associated with ethnic groups may change over time, for example when longstanding traditions are replaced with modern customs. This emphasis on within-group variation and the active self-construal of ethnic groups is an antidote to widespread views of migrant groups as homogenous entities and helpless victims of majority discrimination (see Brubaker, Feischmidt, Fox, & Grancea, 2006).
Ethnic identification, that is, the subjective importance of membership in an ethnic group, has been shown to be particularly strong for migrant groups in receiving societies in which the legitimacy of their norms and values—and even their mere presence on national soil—is questioned. In a study on religious identification by Muslim (Sunni) migrants in the Netherlands, Verkuyten (2007) found that over half of the participants had the highest possible score on scales of religious identification. For these “total” identifiers, identification with the receiving Dutch society was lower than for those Muslims with lower levels of religious identification. These findings suggest that Muslim migrants are prone to stress their ethnic identity in a context of increasing tensions with the receiving society. The degree and nature of ingroup identification with migrant groups thus depends on the specific intergroup configurations in receiving societies. Migrants differentially construe their ingroup identities as a function of the intergroup relations with national majorities (Hopkins & Kahani-Hopkins, 2006). Hence, ethnic identifications by migrant groups are flexible and change as a function of the intergroup context in receiving societies.

What that says is that the more the French state stresses the incompatibility of their national values with that of Islam (such as by banning headscarves), the more that migrants will place higher subjective importance on their religious identity. So if you want to deemphasise a belief in magic men in the sky, you’re actually going to fail utterly if you do it by trying to suppress the religious practices associated with the belief.

Last edited:
Yes it does. You think these things are unresearchable? I didn’t put that book chapter link up for a laugh. It’s directly relevant.

Pages 8-9, for instance:

What that says is that the more the French state stresses the incompatibility of their national values with that of Islam (such as by banning headscarves), the more that migrants will place higher subjective importance on their religious identity. So if you want to deemphasise a belief in magic men in the sky, you’re actually going to fail utterly if you do it by trying to suppress the religious practices associated with the belief.

Why not address the real problem, people who believe in magic men in the sky.

That is the issue. Nothing else.

So that's 6 billion odd who are the problem. Which is clearly bollocks, it's the ones who kill in their god's name that are the problem which are a minute fraction.

I do feel this sort of statement is just a continuation of Western arrogance. We've spend several hundred years telling brown people that we know better than them and that Christianity is the only religion, and killed quite a few who resisted. Now we're telling them that we know better than them and that they mustn't have any religion and instead believe as we believe.

Fuck us really :)

So that's 6 billion odd who are the problem. Which is clearly bollocks, it's the ones who kill in their god's name that are the problem which are a minute fraction.

I do feel this sort of statement is just a continuation of Western arrogance. We've spend several hundred years telling brown people that we know better than them and that Christianity is the only religion, and killed quite a few who resisted. Now we're telling them that we know better than them and that they mustn't have any religion and instead believe as we believe.

Fuck us really :)
Who is this 'we'? It doesn't include me, for a kick-off. I'm agin all organised religions, state-sponsored or otherwise. There's not a lot I can do about it, but please don't blame me for imperialism, Christianity etc or I'll start blaming you for things for which you have no responsibility, and that would be silly.

I find it hard to believe it is just religious belief anyway. No doubt that affects the form things take but the idea frustrated young murder nutters are going away all other things staying the same seems a bit magical thinking itself.

Who is this 'we'? It doesn't include me, for a kick-off. I'm agin all organised religions, state-sponsored or otherwise. There's not a lot I can do about it, but please don't blame me for imperialism, Christianity etc or I'll start blaming you for things for which you have no responsibility, and that would be silly.

We = residents of western countries, particularly England, over the few centuries. Yes I don't like organized religions either, but as soon as we as individuals start telling people who believe in their religion that they shouldn't or that they believe in sky pixies and the like, then we're carrying on the western tradition of telling people in the rest of the world what they should believe.

We = residents of western countries, particularly England, over the few centuries. Yes I don't like organized religions either, but as soon as we as individuals start telling people who believe in their religion that they shouldn't or that they believe in sky pixies and the like, then we're carrying on the western tradition of telling people in the rest of the world what they should believe.
Well my western country of origin is Ireland and their sky pixie of choice is (or was) Catholic bullshit which they only clung to as a cultural antithesis to the English. I'm quite happy to express my views on religion to anyone prepared to listen and that's not a western establishment tradition at all.

The murder doesn’t arise from religious belief. It’s the interaction of group identity and political possibility

Back
Top Bottom