Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

You are inviting other people to look at your body, and some of them will find looking sexually provocative. What on Earth do you think when you put on a short skirt?! :D

I haven’t worn skirts for years, but when I did, it was because I liked how it made my legs look. To me. I didn’t want people to notice me, I didn’t ask for and I didn’t invite comments or stares.

What about girls who go on holiday to places with pretty strict modest dress codes that all local women abide by and walk about in hot pants and strappy tops is that them standing up for liberal values or just being stupid ? It’s not a simple thing this.

I’m not sure I entirely agree. (I mean obviously I agree with the final sentence, and denounce this crime etc. I just aren’t convinced that we can just go about our lives being as provocative as we choose and expecting to be protected from the consequences).

Worst expected consequences might be a warning from your employer or even being sacked, not having your head hacked off.

I know I keep coming back to this, but you keep setting it up so what else can I do?

A few months ago you 3d-printed a facemask in the shape of a skull so you would look super cool and scary when you were out and about. That wasn't just 'for you' was it?
Of course it was for me. First and foremost it was to test the limits of my printer. If it had worked, I'd have worn it, and if anyone saw it and laughed or cried, bonus, but it was absolutely for me.
Do you not buy clothes, that you'll only ever wear in the house, purely because you like how you look in them? I do this with all of my clothes, because, again, I couldn't give a rat's arse if people like my clothes or not.
I'm sorry you feel that you need to dress to impress others.

What about girls who go on holiday to places with pretty strict modest dress codes that all local women abide by and walk about in hot pants and strappy tops is that them standing up for liberal values or just being stupid ? It’s not a simple thing this.

Tricky one. Deep down I don't agree with foreigners being jailed in Dubai for what seems like minor indiscretions, but at the same time I think you have to broadly respect the rules of the country you're travelling to.

Honestly, I think that’s naive.

I don’t think it is. I’m aware people looked. My point is I didn’t want them to. I don’t think I should have had to put up with it. I don’t think if something had happened to me, what I was wearing should have come into it. I’m not unaware of the world we live in but I don’t agree with it and would like it to change. We do not effect change by going ‘oh well, that’s the way things are’

Of course it was for me. First and foremost it was to test the limits of my printer. If it had worked, I'd have worn it, and if anyone saw it and laughed or cried, bonus, but it was absolutely for me.
Do you not buy clothes, that you'll only ever wear in the house, purely because you like how you look in them? I do this with all of my clothes, because, again, I couldn't give a rat's arse if people like my clothes or not.
I'm sorry you feel that you need to dress to impress others.
I don't dress to impress others, I dress in clothes I like the look of, and the feel of. But the reason I like the look and feel of stuff isn't just created in my own head is it? We build these things socially, from the clothes we see and like out and about, in films, in magazines etc, etc. The idea that what 'looks good' can be divorced from a wider social understanding of what looks good is fantasy.

Why do you have clothes you only wear in the house if you don't care what other people think about them? Why not wear them out?

Generally speaking, if you visit a place, I think you should respect local custom and not piss people off. This teacher was in France, though.

I think we have to accept that we are unlikely to start a revolution by wearing strappy tops in a country where those are banned. As a sole tourist I mean.

I don’t think it is. I’m aware people looked. My point is I didn’t want them to. I don’t think I should have had to put up with it. I don’t think if something had happened to me, what I was wearing should have come into it. I’m not unaware of the world we live in but I don’t agree with it and would like it to change. We do not effect change by going ‘oh well, that’s the way things are’
But purenarcotic if you wear items of clothing designed to show off your naked body, you cannot then act surprised if some people find your body arousing. We might agree that the person isn’t entitled to act on that feeling. But to deny that response may occur in the first place is naive, it’s denying reality. Me, I wear short skirts when I want, and I enjoy the game. But at least I’m aware there is a game ;)

I don't dress to impress others, I dress in clothes I like the look of, and the feel of. But the reason I like the look and feel of stuff isn't just created in my own head is it? We build these things socially, from the clothes we see and like out and about, in films, in magazines etc, etc. The idea that what 'looks good' can be divorced from a wider social understanding of what looks good is fantasy.

Why do you have clothes you only wear in the house if you don't care what other people think about them? Why not wear them out?
I'm sorry but I haven't been a fashion victim since I was 14.
I don't have clothes I only wear in the house. I just assumed you would, as it seems you pick your clothes to impress others.

Just to return to this, it wasn't random. This teacher was targetted for a very specific reason, and his name is now added to a sadly lengthening list of people who have been killed in recent years in France by Islamist fundamentalists.

It's random in so far as it's an attack on a teacher by an angry individual. There has been no suggestion that this was planned at any higher level, although they have rounded up a few of the usual suspects. We know little about the attackers background or his anything about his mental health.

The attacks of recent years were vile but they happened in a context. A context in which second, third and fourth generation migrants still find themselves at the bottom of the pile, where Islamophobic and anti-Arab rhetoric are the commonplace. Millions of French citizens are targeted by by the French right and marginalised by those with actual political power because of their surnames, their religion and their complexion. I don't think it's that surprising that a few turn to violence and that some of that violence will be couched in religious terms. About 9% of the French population are Muslims, a few dozen of whom became the Islamic fundamentalist murderers you obsess about.

It's random in so far as it's an attack on a teacher by an angry individual. There has been no suggestion that this was planned at any higher level, although they have rounded up a few of the usual suspects. We know little about the attackers background or his anything about his mental health.

The attacks of recent years were vile but they happened in a context. A context in which second, third and fourth generation migrants still find themselves at the bottom of the pile, where Islamophobic and anti-Arab rhetoric are the commonplace. Millions of French citizens are targeted by by the French right and marginalised by those with actual political power because of their surnames, their religion and their complexion. I don't think it's that surprising that a few turn to violence and that some of that violence will be couched in religious terms. About 9% of the French population are Muslims, a few dozen of whom became the Islamic fundamentalist murderers you obsess about.
FUck off with this 'you obsess about' shit. That's what this thread is about ffs.

I don't have clothes I only wear in the house. I just assumed you would, as it seems you pick your clothes to impress others.
How do you think you decide what looks good? It's all just in your head, no outside influences whatsoever?

That’s why he looks sharp, killer b has some flair. He’s not a nob about it, he has a laugh with it, but the man looks good when he steps out. If you want to live your life in grey trackies knock yourself out.

How do you think you decide what looks good? It's all just in your head, no outside influences whatsoever?
Yes. I have designed some of my own clothes. They don't look anything like anything in the shops. I don't care what other people wear, and rarely notice it, and I certainly don't care if people like what I wear, because I'm wearing it for me, not them.

That’s why he looks sharp, killer b has some flair. He’s not a nob about it, he has a laugh with it, but the man looks good when he steps out. If you want to live your life in grey trackies knock yourself out.
You may well have a point. If I wasn't so good looking I might care what my clothes look like. I guess I just look good in pretty much anything :D

But purenarcotic if you wear items of clothing designed to show off your naked body, you cannot then act surprised if some people find your body arousing. We might agree that the person isn’t entitled to act on that feeling. But to deny that response may occur in the first place is naive, it’s denying reality. Me, I wear short skirts when I want, and I enjoy the game. But at least I’m aware there is a game ;)

But it isn’t a game. It’s a skirt. And I always wore leggings so there was no bare skin. Can’t remember the last time the public saw my bare flesh. Years at any rate. And why? Because of people looking when I didn’t want it. So in the summer I boil to death because I feel too uncomfortable in anything that isn’t jeans or trackies. So I’m thrilled you enjoy ‘the game’ but a lot of us really don’t and we don’t want to be forced to play it.

Back
Top Bottom