Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Bute.

Last time I was on Bute, I was staying with the secretary of the Leo Sayer fan club who has a BnB there - and she managed to book him for a concert there.

To say she was ecstatic was quite an understatement...!

Otherwise, its one of those "Scotland in miniature" kind of islands. Fine scenery, Rothesay is a faded/old-fashioned Victorian resort with one of the best ancient castles in Scotland and a history back to Viking times and there are good cycling choices for getting around. Fine place. :)

Loved it. Fab place and not what I expected at all.

I was pleasantly surprised as I've been to Dunoon before and suspected it my be similar but it wasn't. Not that Dunoon was that bad but it reminds me of where we went on hols as kids, up the north coast of Wales.

Rothesay gave Dunoon a run for it's money on that front as it's similary run down seaside townish, with a lot of empty shops and ice cream eateries but it had a bit more Character and a reet canny barber who sent me home looking less windswept than I was yesterday. The Zavaroni's have 3 shops on the seafront still, a cafe, a chippy and an ice cream shop. I'd forgotten all about old Lena :)

We stayed on the south of the Island on a farm and pretty much had that end of the island to ourselves although saying that when we went walking in the north end we never saw anybody all day. The beaches are really interesting. Not one of them is he same, pebble, sand, shale and volcanic sand all in a 15 mile stretch. Beach combing was fucking ace. We've come back with enough fenders and buoys to open a chandlers and interesting rocks and shells :D

I was amazed at how many neolithic sites there were on the island too. We visited quite a few and never saw another soul. There were some fab long cairns on the west and the north of the Island, a stone circle and loads of standing stones.

We only ventured off the Island once to visit Kilmartin Glen and the stones up that way. That's my favourite place in Scotland.

I'll be back for some fishing I think too. They've even got what's his names restored Bluebird on loch Fad this year for time trials.

Lovely place, lovely people.

Haste ye back.

20180312_181904.jpg

20180311_112341.jpg

20180315_162743.jpg

B & Q hasn't made it to Dunoon yet.

20180310_083703.jpg

Excellent - I'd forgotten just how much prehistory there was on Bute till you reminded me.

Kilmartin is also calling - Its been a long time since I was last there and I was just thinking on it for a trip West in a few weeks when my arm is just a little bit better - So far its between Argyll/Kilmartin or Assynt/Cannich for a bit of camping and fishing - Or broken arm therapy as I'm not very likely to be able to cast very well yet but who knows! :D

Back
Top Bottom