Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about a holiday in Skye

How are you getting there? The train from Fort William to Mallaig is AMAZING.

Beautiful place, would totally recommend. My knowledge of places to eat is really out of date so I will leave that to others but for walking it is stunning. And with the weather not being all that great it shouldn't be hugely busy I'd have thought.

You forgot to mention that you travel over the 'Harry Potter' viaduct at Glenfinnan.

Honestly I would say don't go - there are hardly any intensive care beds in the Western isles, 8 in Stornoway I think and that's it - anyone who gets seriously ill with Covid has to endure a long journey to Inverness which is the nearest ICU. Don't risk bringing it to Skye from London.

You wouldn't go to Stornoway from Skye, it would be plane to Inverness and Raigmore.

Honestly I would say don't go - there are hardly any intensive care beds in the Western isles, 8 in Stornoway I think and that's it - anyone who gets seriously ill with Covid has to endure a long journey to Inverness which is the nearest ICU. Don't risk bringing it to Skye from London.
Thanks for this- I see the 8 beds were put in place as a response to covid, we up in Orkney still have 2 but they aren't really for level 3 patients so they ultimately need to be airlifted to Aberdeen.

The scottish air ambulance service has 2 helicopters and 2 planes serving the whole of rural scotland. Folk in smaller isles need airlifted to the main local hospital up here too, or onto aberdeen- the delays are known to be hours long even pre covid. And in Orkney we have 1 land ambulance which is needed for transfers as local hospital doesn't have helipad so if that is out on a call there's a delay at our end too- we recently had 2 hours without any cover at all. Some smaller isles have no medical staff on them at all, that will also the case in the west I imagine. T e r r i f y i n g!

On the way back from Uist, we arrived in sky. Portree was rammed in august. never seen as many tourists and fast food outlets doing business. Havent beeen to skye since the early 2000's. We did however get a taste for the place, saw it wasnt raining and decided to fuck off the planned the drive to london and find a deserted hill loch and free camp for another night

6 days in scotland and no rain !

Check out the dinosaur footprints at Staffin, quite humbling and a beautiful swim off that beach. There were a lot of RVs when we went though, slightly ruin the atmosphere. There's a beautiful looking campsite between the bridge and Staffin. If it went back I would go round the North and West if the Island.

Back
Top Bottom