Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Assynt.

friedaweed

Me and me girl named Jane
Got a cottage in Clachtoll end of August. Been tying some classics for the hill lochs.

Any must see spots and things to do Scurbzes?

Will be parking my canoe here.

property_pic_2_154.jpg

Heading to Brora for the second week but I know that area ;)

Oh nice. I was up that way last year. I had a black pudding roll at the wee shack in Clachtoll.

They were doing some work to create a viewing platform at the Clachtoll broch (to stop people walking on it.) It would be interesting to see how that looks now.

There's some peat roads near Clachtoll. I walked up one and didn't see anybody. A guy in the same hostel as me was using them to go fishing up in the hills.

I actually walked to Clachtoll from Achmelvich. There's a path that goes past an old mill and a quiet beach. I didn't see it but I believe there's a fish and chip van at Achmelvich on a Saturday night.

There's also a walk from Achmelvich to Lochinver. You get a great view of the surrounding hills and it goes past the Highland stoneware factory, which is worth a visit. The pie shop in Lochinver is quite famous but I gave it a swerve due to the exorbitant prices :D

All I did was walk to be honest, I'm not sure what else to tell you :thumbs:

Oh nice. I was up that way last year. I had a black pudding roll at the wee shack in Clachtoll.

They were doing some work to create a viewing platform at the Clachtoll broch (to stop people walking on it.) It would be interesting to see how that looks now.

There's some peat roads near Clachtoll. I walked up one and didn't see anybody. A guy in the same hostel as me was using them to go fishing up in the hills.

I actually walked to Clachtoll from Achmelvich. There's a path that goes past an old mill and a quiet beach. I didn't see it but I believe there's a fish and chip van at Achmelvich on a Saturday night.

There's also a walk from Achmelvich to Lochinver. You get a great view of the surrounding hills and it goes past the Highland stoneware factory, which is worth a visit. The pie shop in Lochinver is quite famous but I gave it a swerve due to the exorbitant prices :D

All I did was walk to be honest, I'm not sure what else to tell you :thumbs:
Cheers mate. Can you get a vehicle up the peat roads do you think?

I was up in that area a few weeks back - pretty amazing scenery just lying around everywhere. If you have a car or bike I recommend travelling the road from Lochinver to Drumrunie. Along the way is Stac Pollaidh, a classic but fairly easy climb.

The Lochinver Pie shop is a wonder to behold. Robin Cook died there on a walk. It was the first place I ever saw a Romaesque (not sure of exact name) cabbage/cauliflower thing. The landscapes up near Cape Wrath are other worldly.

tbh I thought the Lochinver pie shop was okay but overpriced. Get the pie with garnish, because if you get it with mash you pay about £6 extra for a spoonful of mash potato.

I've gotta be honest pie shops will be far from my agenda. Hill lochs and fishing and some Canadian canoeing with Finn Larden are what this weeks about. We can't take the bikes this year on account of an extra person coming, plus taking the canoe, so we'll mainly be on foot and probably will pack a tent for a couple of overnighters, just me and the lad and the trangier stove.

Saying that I'm sure our Narnia and her daughter will venture pie shop way :D

so we'll mainly be on foot and probably will pack a tent for a couple of overnighters, just me and the lad and the trangier stove.

There's a great long distance walk from Lochinver to Inchnadamph. About 14 miles and goes past Suilven. I never made it the whole way though, it was raining so I decided to turn north at the bothy. Bad idea as the path deteriorated rapidly. I ended up belly-flopping on the moor and got a tick for my trouble :(

There's a great long distance walk from Lochinver to Inchnadamph. About 14 miles and goes past Suilven. I never made it the whole way though, it was raining so I decided to turn north at the bothy. Bad idea as the path deteriorated rapidly. I ended up belly-flopping on the moor and got a tick for my trouble :(
What was the bothy like mate?

I was looking forward to getting into the bothy to get out of the rain but I got attacked by midges once inside :D

Other than the midges it looked good, 2 big rooms with sleeping platforms and fireplaces.

Back Hem.:cool:

I had a wonderful time in Assynt. It truly is a beautiful place and I have now completed my circumnavigation of the Scottish coastline, apart from the Isles of course (That's next). :D:thumbs: It was the one area of the coast that I'd not done and having done the drive up to Cape Wrath and the walk to The old man of Stoer from Lochinver and on by four whhels to Durness I can now say I've done the Scottish mainland coastline by hook or by crook. Its only taken me 35 years :D

The fishing was amazing. I had a couple of blank days but I don't know how anyone could not be happy just walking in those hills discovering Loch after Loch after Loch.

I was really lucky to meet Simon Barnes up in the hills who gave me a bit of his sage advice. He makes lovely rods...
Home

That's what i love about the people you meet in these remote places. They all want to share their knowledge with you.

I was fishing a small hill loch on my way to Loch an Leathhaid Rainich and out of nowhere appeared these two gorgeous black Labradors followed by Simon himself. He's a Crieff man who builds rods and I was busy telling him how I'd just lost a good fish at the net when he shared his set up and the concept of drift on dry fly over cast and the unsatisfactory arm ache of retrieving wets. Anyway he was right as from then on I hit fish on every Loch I visited and I continued this on my fishing on the Hill Lochs of Sutherland the following week. All on my own hedgehogs I might add. :D

20180804_195441[607].jpg

After a week in Assynt we all headed cross country to Brora and stayed in a lovely gaff there and found fossils on the beach and tucked into some nice Haggis from the Golspie butcher's.

I fished Loch Horn, Buidhe and Loch Brora again and had my best day with 6 netted on Horn including these lovely fish..
20180830_152820[665].jpg

20180830_171723[666].jpg

All catch and release currently so nothing in the pan.

We watched the Salmon pooling at The Mound for 3 nights. The rivers are really low and you can see fish jumping in the sea at Helmsdale, Brora and Fleet trying to get to their spawning grounds just waiting for some rain. Even the Lochs were noticeably low.

Sadly this seems to be currently being exploited by a few folk who are netting fish in the dark of night at various spots. all a bit sad really.

Anyway. Assynt is the place if you like to fish on the fly :cool:

Last edited:
Back in Assynt just now - weather is challenging/all types in one day and there is still a tiny bit of snow clinging to the corries of some of the higher hills - apparently they got a short lived dusting just last week!

Deer have wandered past me unconcerned, birdlife is varied and vocal, people are few and far between and fish have been caught.

So all-in, a good trip!

Back Hem.:cool:

I had a wonderful time in Assynt. It truly is a beautiful place and I have now completed my circumnavigation of the Scottish coastline, apart from the Isles of course (That's next). :D:thumbs: It was the one area of the coast that I'd not done and having done the drive up to Cape Wrath and the walk to The old man of Stoer from Lochinver and on by four whhels to Durness I can now say I've done the Scottish mainland coastline by hook or by crook. Its only taken me 35 years :D

The fishing was amazing. I had a couple of blank days but I don't know how anyone could not be happy just walking in those hills discovering Loch after Loch after Loch.

I was really lucky to meet Simon Barnes up in the hills who gave me a bit of his sage advice. He makes lovely rods...
Home

That's what i love about the people you meet in these remote places. They all want to share their knowledge with you.

I was fishing a small hill loch on my way to Loch an Leathhaid Rainich and out of nowhere appeared these two gorgeous black Labradors followed by Simon himself. He's a Crieff man who builds rods and I was busy telling him how I'd just lost a good fish at the net when he shared his set up and the concept of drift on dry fly over cast and the unsatisfactory arm ache of retrieving wets. Anyway he was right as from then on I hit fish on every Loch I visited and I continued this on my fishing on the Hill Lochs of Sutherland the following week. All on my own hedgehogs I might add. :D

View attachment 145804

After a week in Assynt we all headed cross country to Brora and stayed in a lovely gaff there and found fossils on the beach and tucked into some nice Haggis from the Golspie butcher's.

I fished Loch Horn, Buidhe and Loch Brora again and had my best day with 6 netted on Horn including these lovely fish..
View attachment 145806

View attachment 145807

All catch and release currently so nothing in the pan.

We watched the Salmon pooling at The Mound for 3 nights. The rivers are really low and you can see fish jumping in the sea at Helmsdale, Brora and Fleet trying to get to their spawning grounds just waiting for some rain. Even the Lochs were noticeably low.

Sadly this seems to be currently being exploited by a few folk who are netting fish in the dark of night at various spots. all a bit sad really.

Anyway. Assynt is the place if you like to fish on the fly :cool:
what about if you want fish on the grill?

Back in Assynt just now - weather is challenging/all types in one day and there is still a tiny bit of snow clinging to the corries of some of the higher hills - apparently they got a short lived dusting just last week!

Deer have wandered past me unconcerned, birdlife is varied and vocal, people are few and far between and fish have been caught.

So all-in, a good trip!
One of my favourite places on the planet now. Tight lines chief :thumbs:

what about if you want fish on the grill?

You catch'em on the fly first ;)

Went to Assynt last month, as part of the NC500. The Pie Shop wasn't open :( It was fucking glorious weather though.

The roads were getting fucking mad tho, full of massive campers on tiny roads, often driven by people who didn't really know how to use passing points. Must be hell once schools have broken up.

Never heard of Assynt until now. Sounds like a shit software suite for running call centres.

Back
Top Bottom