Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tamsin Omond to stand against Green Party’s Bea Campbell Labour’s Glenda Jackson

coming from you JHE!!!... :D

Do you imagine that I go around calling people I disagree with "scum"? I don't, you know. In particular, it never occurs to me to call feminists, social democrats or greenies "scum". (Bea Campbell is certainly a feminist, is apparently in the Greens now and I suppose can reasonably be called a social democrat of some sort.)

I don't call Trots, Narchs or Tankies "scum" either - not even Dhimmi-Trots, though I will admit to despising them.

Do you imagine that I go around calling people I disagree with "scum"? I don't, you know. In particular, it never occurs to me to call feminists, social democrats or greenies "scum". (Bea Campbell is certainly a feminist, is apparently in the Greens now and I suppose can reasonably be called a social democrat of some sort.)

I don't call Trots, Narchs or Tankies "scum" either - not even Dhimmi-Trots, though I will admit to despising them.

I've taken to calling swivel-eyed SNP fanatics "nash," in on-line arguments - they don't much like it! I first came across the tern "fash" here and adapted it for domestic use. But I wouldn't ever call them scum, even if they call people like me "traitors" or "quislings." Internet politics are a bit different in Scotland.

I'm not a particular fan of Bea Campbell, who for many many years was in the Communist Party, despite not being a Communist of any recognisable sort, but your little comment on her reminded me of what a nasty, silly, spiteful little place the British left can be.

Were you at one time a Tanky member of the CP or is your spitting hostility to the 'Euro' Campbell passed on to you in the Labour Party by other people who were on the Tanky wing of the CP?

The second option is a bit closer than the second, but neither's entirely accurate.

And I'd rather be a nasty, silly, spiteful little lefty than a Euro.

Those of us running our Parliamentary campaigns on a shoestring might be depressed by her apparent immediate ability to get a shopfront and lots of other expensive stuff for her campaign. Hmph.

Matt

Money dictates parliamentary politics - we should leave parliament to money, the strength - which doesn't need so much money - is industrial organisation.

IIRC, Plane Stupid have released a statement saying Tamsin is not welcome at any of their protests following comments she made in the press.

Now she seems to be winding up an entirely different part of the environment movement.

i had the "pleasure" of meeting her on a train at the weekend. She was spaced out like she was on something. The kindest thing I can say about her was she was mildly less annoying than her entourage of Trustafarians in ponchos and designer shades.

Apparently her campaign is being run by Brunswick PR agency, who suggested they teamed up with the Tories on the ground. Even Tamsin could see that was a bad idea.

No it wasn't first class :p - must not have had one, it was a shitty FCC commuter train from London to Brighton

I was meaning more that 'on a train' was a euphemism for an interview, Anyway, i hope you've got a good reason for not chucking her out the window - have you?

Apparently her campaign is being run by Brunswick PR agency, who suggested they teamed up with the Tories on the ground. Even Tamsin could see that was a bad idea.

But she was on a train down to Brighton last weekend??
:hmm:

IIRC, Plane Stupid have released a statement saying Tamsin is not welcome at any of their protests following comments she made in the press.

Now she seems to be winding up an entirely different part of the environment movement.
Reported here.

Anti-airport expansion group Plane Stupid admitted she is no longer active with them. Insiders said some protesters are unhappy over comments she has made about the green movement.

It is claimed Miss Omond, 25, was shunned by other activists after a series of rows at recent climate change meetings. One source said: "She has alienated many members of Plane Stupid and will not be welcomed or invited to events."

Miss Omond, granddaughter of baronet Sir Thomas Lees, was arrested last year after climbing on to the Palace of Westminster roof and unfurling a Plane Stupid protest banner.

She once chained herself to the gates of Biggin Hill airport. But she recently said: "I know the green brand is unwashed, unshaven and up a tree. That doesn't represent me." She told activists to grow up.

Miss Omond set up her own group, Climate Rush, after failing to get a full-time job as Plane Stupid's national coordinator.

She's retweeting the Tory Party candidate's tweets:

chrisphilp4mp
Just seen Boy George in the audience at the Lady Gaga gig!!!
8:58 PM Feb 27th via txt
Retweeted by tamsinomond

Perhaps she will be asked about it at this event:
‘Women and Activism’
with Maya Evans and Tamsin Omond
Wednesday 24th March - 7pm to 8.30pm
Activists Maya Evans and Tamsin Omond will be discussing womens’ roles in contemporary peace and environmental movements.
Maya and Tamsin will be discussing the roles played by women in contemporary peace and green movements, and examining questions of gender and class identity in activism.

So what do we reckon here media career will be?

Indy/Guardian pull out columnist
Main news op-ed feature writer, possibly taking over the role of Bennett or Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Late Review/Newsnight appearances as a talking head
Own TV show on 'How to be Rich and Green'
Some kind of scandal involving an everyday household appliance, a towel and a phillipino housemaid
Rehab via Hello!/OK! and a regular gardening column like Kim Wilde's or a 'Green Your Home' by line like that Guardian writer with the batshit name.

So what do we reckon here media career will be?

Indy/Guardian pull out columnist
Main news op-ed feature writer, possibly taking over the role of Bennett or Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Late Review/Newsnight appearances as a talking head
Own TV show on 'How to be Rich and Green'
Some kind of scandal involving an everyday household appliance, a towel and a phillipino housemaid
Rehab via Hello!/OK! and a regular gardening column like Kim Wilde's or a 'Green Your Home' by line like that Guardian writer with the batshit name.

Talking head/columnist, probably, unless she can pull enough strings and scratch enough backs to wangle herself a safe seat with one of the main parties.

She doesn't have much in the way of writing ability as far as I'm aware (not that that would rule out some paid gig as a 'celebrity' columnist) and I don't see her as having the literary ability for writing green books, so I'd say she'll try and sneak onto the mainstream political radar first and, if that doesn't work, go down the talking/occasional columnist/'celebrity green' route.

Given her manic self-publicising streak and rightward trajectory, I think she might have a plausible chance of sneaking into a safe seat for one of the main parties at some future point. She's successfully used the Green movement to give herself a position on the foothills of public awareness of her, so give it a few years and she may well be in Westminster in one of the major parties, doing regular talking head spots and still claiming to be a genuine green campaigner while dismissing her supposed Green activism as merely the impetuosity of her misguided youth, or some other pathetic excuse for crawling her way up the greasy pole.

The genuine green movement are increasingly wanting rid of her, it seems, and once she's climbed far enough up the mainstream media/political ladder (largely, it seems, by standing on the shoulders of others) she'll only look down at her former comrades to see who it is she's stepping on.

Omond looks like a children's telly program presenter. Maybe they're missing her in the Night Garden.

Back
Top Bottom