Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Takeaway prices during UK lockdown

A lot of food doesn't work as takeaway stuff as it doesn't travel well but is still popular. All of the Middle Eastern/Turkish grilled meat affairs, including kebabs, need to be eaten hot off the grill, not after being stuck on the back of a bike for 15 minutes. I actually think that pizza is pretty shite unless you live within 2 minutes of where it's being cooked but it's probably the most popular delivery food on the planet. I was always pretty certain only to get Indian or Chinese food delivered as reheating doesn't really fuck it up, but recently we've been getting pasta dishes from a nearby Italian, which are ace.
We’re lucky cos there’s a lovey independent pizza place + a cpl of Turkish places a cpl of mins away so the food turns up piping hot.

London has some really great places, especially North London.

There are decent Turkish restaurants in all cities and most/do takeaway.

I live in a small Hertfordshire town and we have two very good options.
I think I was spoiled when I lived in Sudan and there were some really good ones. There were a lot of Turks living there at the time, and their food was excellent.

My local McDonalds are charging 3.99 delivery fee to keep the place surrounded by willing Uber eats riders. They are all doing v well by all accounts. Good luck to these essential workers.

I almost wish I wasn't overweight and intolerant of coffee not made in a specific way ... there are lots of eateries in my area doing takeaways from the door up my street on the way to the park - several with vegan options ...

Almost as if delivery riders had to be paid or something.

Point of order: Deliveroo charge to reimburse the drivers - that is the delivery fee (£2-£5 on top of your order). The point is that the menu prices are different on deliveroo (obvs to cover Deliveroo's fee, but it's not explicitly detailed, and the implication (from Deliveroo) is that the menu price 'should' be the same)

Almost as if the delivery fee couldn’t be charged separately or taken from the restaurant side of the deal.
It is taken from the restaurant side of the deal who then pass the cost along to the customer, that's kind of how capitalism works. I remember the last time minimum wage was raised not too long ago just before civilization collapsed that restaurant chains were whinging they would have to absorb the cost due to competition being so cut throat, clearly that is no longer the case.
With our favourite chinese takeaway we now have a simple choice pay a bit extra for delivery or sod off somewhere else, there is however a sound reason it has become our favourite.

It is taken from the restaurant side of the deal who then pass the cost along to the customer, that's kind of how capitalism works.
It can be but by no means always is. Plenty of restaurants offer free delivery based on their standard menu prices. Some will require a minimum spend for free delivery but many will deliver at no charge in order to increase turnover at a slightly reduced profit. That’s how capitalism works.

Some will require a minimum spend for free delivery but many will deliver at no charge in order to increase turnover at a slightly reduced profit. That’s how capitalism works.
Or rather they spread the cost across non delivered food as well. Even if their profit is 'reduced' this is what's happened anyway if the prices are the same.

It can be but by no means always is. Plenty of restaurants offer free delivery based on their standard menu prices. Some will require a minimum spend for free delivery but many will deliver at no charge in order to increase turnover at a slightly reduced profit. That’s how capitalism works.
Get free delivery and pay for it with AMEX, just to really piss on everyone else.

Ok - Turns out that the minimum order of £15 is kind of hard for one person to hit if you only fancy a sandwich or a small breakfast... So now I am having a look at the whole new world that is UberEats. Apparently, I can place an order from the Londis in Forest Hill! In case I needed a can of beans and some bin bags. It;'s a whole new world!

Ok - Turns out that the minimum order of £15 is kind of hard for one person to hit if you only fancy a sandwich or a small breakfast... So now I am having a look at the whole new world that is UberEats. Apparently, I can place an order from the Londis in Forest Hill! In case I needed a can of beans and some bin bags. It;'s a whole new world!
Check out Deliveroo. They do M&S Food, Nisa, and Co-op!

Back
Top Bottom