Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUVs make up more than 40% of new cars sold in the UK – while fully electric vehicles account for less than 2%

fair point

EDIT: though given my largest client is a large corporation that provides services to other large corporations perhaps it might better to think of me as an unpaid tax inspector rather than an unpaid tax collector.

No, it’s still collection. But it’s one for the business owners and managers sofa, which one day someone will set up in K&S, to the benefit of all of Urban’s accidental entrepreneurs, and the likely fury of its creaking class warriors.

The worse crime is the one scumbags such as Philip Green love to go in for, saying that he pays X Millions in tax when he's talking about the income tax and NI paid by his employees.

Whereas you are only too happy to detail all your various tax dodges on what used to be a lefty forum.

fair point

EDIT: though given my largest client is a large corporation that provides services to other large corporations perhaps it might better to think of me as an unpaid tax inspector rather than an unpaid tax collector.

For someone unpaid you don't half love to suck your own dick about how much you get paid.

People driving around in three ton 'cars' is a big part of the reason why so many roads are in such a state.
How long ago were the roads built and what was the heaviest vehicle around at the time? How many times have the roads been dug up since being laid for repairs, especially burst water mains, not to mention being dug up for the laying of new services including cable. Then of course when being refilled after the works, if done properly, the surface would be weakened. Most repairs are carried out very badly.

Workers don't get to choose. That's what happens when the law is written by carpetbaggers, for carpetbaggers.

I don't get to choose either, if I pay less than the law mandates I go to prison. If I pay more, HMRC would often notice and rebate it, or I lose that money. The only difference is I have to work out how much tax is correct, whereas you expect others to do that for you. Those people should have a right to expect something better to do with their time than wiping your arse for you because you're too fucking idle to do it yourself.

I think that (oddly, back on topic) this specific tax dodge dig relates to the incentives used to get small and large businesses to buy electric vehicles, with the intention of flooding the second hand market with less-polluting and heavily depreciated options a few years hence. A ploy that worked both on me and on the bucket shop man.

A perfectly sound piece of statist, incentive-led policy making that no left winger or environmentalist could object to, likely sneaked past Grant Shapps at the DfT by sensible officials who distracted him with an exciting aviation press release.

I don't get to choose either, if I pay less than the law mandates I go to prison. If I pay more, HMRC would often notice and rebate it, or I lose that money. The only difference is I have to work out how much tax is correct, whereas you expect others to do that for you. Those people should have a right to expect something better to do with their time than wiping your arse for you because you're too fucking idle to do it yourself.

Oh, come now. It’s much more silly than anything Spooky has said to accuse people of laziness because their employer uses PAYE, which is a far easier system for everyone, especially HMRC, than self assessment or the horrors of RTI.

Oh, come now. It’s much more silly than anything Spooky has said to accuse people of laziness because their employer uses PAYE, which is a far easier system for everyone, especially HMRC, than self assessment or the horrors of RTI.

I have to sort PAYE out for myself and my staff too, as well as tax returns etc. All Frank has to do is show up, bore some kids witless and slope off home again to dream of being a pilot, so yeah, he's lazy.

Last edited:
I have to sort PAYE out for myself and my staff too, as well as tax returns etc. All Frank has to do is show up, bore some kids witless and slope off home again to dream of when he claimed to be a pilot, so yeah, he's lazy.
And you get paid handsomely for it so what the fuck are you whining about?

For someone unpaid you don't half love to suck your own dick about how much you get paid.
Sadly Frank I don't get to keep any VAT I collect, HMRC bless them know to the penny how much I collect on their behalf and demand I hand it over to them on a quarterly basis. Nice if I did but they need it to pay the likes of you so you can afford to moan about me moaning how I have to collect it for them.

Anyone on the flat rate VAT scheme is probably going to decide that discretion is the better part of valour and keep quiet about it on this thread.

And what's that got to do with the selfish wankers choking up city streets with their ridiculous SUVs?

The strange but true answer is that kebabking saw a sausage roll being delivered to a residential address, and declared that barbarians were at the gates. This segued into a discussion of click and collect, to widespread confusion all round.

The strange but true answer is that kebabking saw a sausage roll being delivered to a residential address, and declared that barbarians were at the gates. This segued into a discussion of click and collect, to widespread confusion all round.
It's the Urban Way

Reactions: Chz
Cycling into work for the first time in a while I yet again found myself shaking my head at the size of some cars on the road in such off-road rural areas as Balham and Chelsea. Stating the obvious but they literally take up all the lane at times so there’s no room for bikes. So often - I’m going to say it - driven by yummy mummys who also seem to have crap spatial awareness to add to the potential for death.

There was zero chance of it not passing, as it excludes Parisians from the statute. It could have been "triple the parking charge for all non-Parisians" and it would have passed.

The focus on this really takes attention away from all the other things that Paris has done to make the city more inviting for pedestrians and cyclists. Almost all of which matter more than this sideshow.

ETA: 5.7% turnout is pretty woeful. :(
the vote also highlighted the sharp wets/east rich/poor(er) divide in the town
the barbarians are at the gate
now let me in pretty please

Those ludicrous double-cab monster truck things will lose their VAT loophole soon, and will be taxed as cars rather than vans. On the perfectly reasonable grounds that they carry fuck all actual payload.

Cycling into work for the first time in a while I yet again found myself shaking my head at the size of some cars on the road in such off-road rural areas as Balham and Chelsea. Stating the obvious but they literally take up all the lane at times so there’s no room for bikes.

There's one left-turn junction on my route which is fine for a normal car, but too narrow for SUVs if another car is turning out.. Kind of shows how stupid these things are, as they have to wait for both lanes to be clear now to use the road. :facepalm:

Perhaps I’ve misinterpreted the intended meaning of that picture, but EVs were never intended to reduce car use but to drastically cut down the harmful and environmentally damaging emissions produced by ICE vehicles.

So if the bottom image is supposed to suggest a world in the near future in which the same number of cars around the world remain on the road, but now they are all electric, that would be a a bloody revolution and no mistake, and a colossal improvement on the current state of affairs.

Perhaps I’ve misinterpreted the intended meaning of that picture, but EVs were never intended to reduce car use but to drastically cut down the harmful and environmentally damaging emissions produced by ICE vehicles.

So if the bottom image is supposed to suggest a world in the near future in which the same number of cars around the world remain on the road, but now they are all electric, that would be a a bloody revolution and no mistake, and a colossal improvement on the current state of affairs.
But still be totally shit for the environment and for people living near roads and for people killed/injured by cars.

Back
Top Bottom