Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUVs make up more than 40% of new cars sold in the UK – while fully electric vehicles account for less than 2%

There's one left-turn junction on my route which is fine for a normal car, but too narrow for SUVs if another car is turning out.. Kind of shows how stupid these things are, as they have to wait for both lanes to be clear now to use the road. :facepalm:

Countless examples of this. Lots of the major urban roads here are habitually double-parked leaving just enough space for two normal cars to pass in between, but not enough for two SUVs. And of course if the parked cars are wider, even less space on the actual road.

And I know I'm not the only driver who will only wait to let another motorist out of a junction if they're not driving some ridiculous tank.

I'm planning to get a small SUV hybrid. I'm finding it increasingly uncomfortable to get into and out of low slung cars. I expect it will become more difficult as time goes by.

I'm getting a hybrid because range on pure electric is not going to meet my needs. The problem is that claimed range on EV is compromised by using lights, heater/ac, wipers etc and by going up and down hills. Given that many of my journeys are about 300miles each way ICE is still better for my needs. So for local journeys EV works, but for all my other journeys I need ICE. Charge times will improve range, but will make journey times very long.

Travelling to Sevilla means that an easy two day journey will double.

It's difficult, but the best compromise for me.

I'm planning to get a small SUV hybrid. I'm finding it increasingly uncomfortable to get into and out of low slung cars. I expect it will become more difficult as time goes by.

I'm getting a hybrid because range on pure electric is not going to meet my needs. The problem is that claimed range on EV is compromised by using lights, heater/ac, wipers etc and by going up and down hills. Given that many of my journeys are about 300miles each way ICE is still better for my needs. So for local journeys EV works, but for all my other journeys I need ICE. Charge times will improve range, but will make journey times very long.

I don't think anyone's going to tear one off of you for something reasonable sized. The smaller crossovers aren't particularly larger/heavier than the vehicles they replace in the lineup, albeit taller. We moved up a size class recently to deal with needing to take more "kit" with us on hols since my mum's getting to need a walker and other things, and I'm quite astounded that what we got is still classed as a "small" SUV. But a lot of it is styling. It isn't hugely bigger than the class B car it replaced, it just has a longer boot and a bit more space across the shoulders in the back for when we've got 3 across. Much, much larger vehicles are available, and it's a struggle to see why they're needed unless you need a 7-seater. Though I think the funny thing is that the mrs looked at a proper van at one point, which would've been bigger in every direction and heavier but no-one here would've batted an eyelid at because not-an-SUV.

I don't think anyone's going to tear one off of you for something reasonable sized. The smaller crossovers aren't particularly larger/heavier than the vehicles they replace in the lineup, albeit taller. We moved up a size class recently to deal with needing to take more "kit" with us on hols since my mum's getting to need a walker and other things, and I'm quite astounded that what we got is still classed as a "small" SUV. But a lot of it is styling. It isn't hugely bigger than the class B car it replaced, it just has a longer boot and a bit more space across the shoulders in the back for when we've got 3 across. Much, much larger vehicles are available, and it's a struggle to see why they're needed unless you need a 7-seater. Though I think the funny thing is that the mrs looked at a proper van at one point, which would've been bigger in every direction and heavier but no-one here would've batted an eyelid at because not-an-SUV.
I recently was looking at a Mitsibushi Outlander PHEV parked alongside a RR Evoque. The Evoque would be heavily criticised for being a 4x4, the Outlander less so because it's PHEV. Size-wise the Evoque is smaller though. People seem increasingly to see a badge and say its too big and shouldn't be allowed, they don't see other vehicles, which can be bigger and heavier, as the same problem.

But still be totally shit for the environment and for people living near roads and for people killed/injured by cars.
A near-future world as unchanged and saturated with cars as the second image suggests would undoubtedly be not good news for the planet, but the point remains that the author of that composite has not just completely missed the purpose of electric cars, but sought to demonise something that it would bring a significant benefit to the planet and which anyone remotely concerned about environmental issues would welcome as a positive step forward however small.

Not that we’re sadly likely to see within our lifetimes a point whereby most of the cars in the world have become electric, anyway.

A near-future world as unchanged and saturated with cars as the second image suggests would undoubtedly be not good news for the planet, but the point remains that the author of that composite has not just completely missed the purpose of electric cars, but sought to demonise something that it would bring a significant benefit to the planet and which anyone remotely concerned about environmental issues would welcome as a positive step forward however small.

Not that we’re sadly likely to see within our lifetimes a point whereby most of the cars in the world have become electric, anyway.
Car culture needs to be challenged and the use of vehicles reduced.

Electric cars are an improvement on petrol ones, but those gains are in danger of being cancelled out by the growth of larger and heavier vehicles. And all that electricity stil has to be generated somewhere and it's not always from green sources/

So no, I'm not going to be cheering on roads rammed full of big electric 4x4s. I'll start clapping when they're taxed off the city streets.

Countless examples of this. Lots of the major urban roads here are habitually double-parked leaving just enough space for two normal cars to pass in between, but not enough for two SUVs. And of course if the parked cars are wider, even less space on the actual road.

And I know I'm not the only driver who will only wait to let another motorist out of a junction if they're not driving some ridiculous tank.

There was a queue of cars waiting to turn left as I cycled past yesterday... had a look and there were two SUVs maneuvering in the junction entrance trying to get past each other.. :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'd definitely recommend getting a hybrid, we're feeling all smug here in Chez Q having replaced both our cars with hybrids in the last 12 months. Mrs Q's Yaris returns 65mpg with a 1500cc petrol engine and my Lexus returned 55mpg on our recent trip to Southampton. It's a 2 litre petrol but returns better mpg than the 2 litre diesel it replaced.

I'd definitely recommend getting a hybrid, we're feeling all smug here in Chez Q having replaced both our cars with hybrids in the last 12 months. Mrs Q's Yaris returns 65mpg with a 1500cc petrol engine and my Lexus returned 55mpg on our recent trip to Southampton. It's a 2 litre petrol but returns better mpg than the 2 litre diesel it replaced.
That's interesting. My Golf GTD gives me an average of 49.6mpg including both motorway and town driving. It's 1969cc turbo.

That's interesting. My Golf GTD gives me an average of 49.6mpg including both motorway and town driving. It's 1969cc turbo.
The Yaris is used almost exclusively for town driving, on the very rare occasion that Mrs Q has used it for a longer drive it's economy has actually fallen. The Lexus tends to do about 48mpg around town but gets some more on long runs.
Clearly they have been optimised for their expected roles. The Lexus uses its battery over a much wider speed range than the Yaris, I've seen it switch over to the battery when cruising at 70 on the motorway if I'm maintaining a steady speed.
I had an Audi A6 2ltr diesel before the Lexus and that could get up to about 52mpg if I drove along at a steady 50-55mph whereas normally it tended to average mid-40's

Do remember that while a Euro 6 diesel is a lot better than older ones, it still spits out quite a bit more stuff that's bad for health than a petrol or petrol hybrid will. Diesels have their niche in high mileage use cases, but with the disadvantages no one who does under 20k miles a year should need one. Especially not if there's a lot of urban driving involved. At least in the sticks the NO2 and soot tends to dissipate before it gets to hazardous levels.

It is weird to see a switch inside of 20 years where the diesel used to be the dead reliable, high mileage option and now with all the emissions controls and whatnot it's the petrol that does 200k without missing a beat. Though speaking as someone with an asthmatic child, the less diesel the better.

An interesting newcomer to challenge the trend of ever-growing cars :D

And unlike the silly Citroen Ami, this does a reasonable 56 mph, which allows usage out of town.

I was all for it until I read the price tag at the bottom of the article. Twenty-two fucking grand :(

Reactions: Chz
Something like that at a reasonable price might sell, but the current setup is that almost all of these sorts of vehicle are bought as a second car for people who retain a more conventional one for other usage. I don't think the solution to congested cities is more cars, even if they are small and electric. They need to be of a reasonable build, speed, and range (and price!) to actually function as a primary vehicle.

Something like that at a reasonable price might sell, but the current setup is that almost all of these sorts of vehicle are bought as a second car for people who retain a more conventional one for other usage. I don't think the solution to congested cities is more cars, even if they are small and electric. They need to be of a reasonable build, speed, and range (and price!) to actually function as a primary vehicle.
I just went on the official website, and even they describe it as a 'second car' :facepalm:

Though it made me laugh when describing the interior capacity, they stated it can carry two adults plus three crates of beer :D

I just went on the official website, and even they describe it as a 'second car' :facepalm:

Though it made me laugh when describing the interior capacity, they stated it can carry two adults plus three crates of beer :D
I bet it's not comfortable car om a long journey

My father is getting a hybrid Toyota Corolla soon.
It's a big car.
I brought him to the Toyota showrooms and there was a HUGE all electric plug in car / suv called bZ4X . It was massive. High aswell.
images (14).jpeg

I don't get why cars are getting higher ... but this thing is a beast of a car. Sat in the back seat and could not see out the window. 😳

Last edited:
What's surprising is that the crossover between your own car and others seems to be about 1600kg. Which is still fairly porky. Most popular SUVs come in at that or lower.

Driving from Livingston to the South coast to visit cupid_stunt my 1368cc i30 got 56mpg. Mixed roads, mostly motorway
Yesterday, motorway from grimsby to Edinburgh, according to the car info I was getting just over 61mpg. It's great, isn't it?

Buying a hybrid with official figures less than this makes little sense, but if I want to go to places I need to go to I have very little alternative.

(Diesel at Scotch corner was £1,72 a litre, Grimsby I paid £1,39. Classic profiteering.)

Yesterday, motorway from grimsby to Edinburgh, according to the car info I was getting just over 61mpg. It's great, isn't it?

Buying a hybrid with official figures less than this makes little sense, but if I want to go to places I need to go to I have very little alternative.

(Diesel at Scotch corner was £1,72 a litre, Grimsby I paid £1,39. Classic profiteering.)
I filled yesterday at a local Shell, £1.37.9. Paid £1.78.9 on the motorway on my way to see CS.

Back
Top Bottom