Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUVs make up more than 40% of new cars sold in the UK – while fully electric vehicles account for less than 2%

Resist privatisation, re-invest in public services eg the post office.

Re-vitalise the high street by opposing landlordism and high rents.

Re-build communities.

Make local shopping a viable alternative to internet shopping.

Oppose gig-economy.

Defend workers rights and sustainable employment.

Oppose globalisation.

Make sustainability and climate change a priority in politics.

Re-think transport infrastructure.

Act now.

Heavily penalise dodgy parking.

Etc etc.

Act now.

This very day, in Worcester, I watched a just eat delivery bloke walk into a Greggs, pick up an order, walk out, cross the road, ring the bell of a flat above a shop, and deliver it.

Probably 60 yards door-to-door, Sunday lunchtime, on one of the main shopping streets in a pleasant, small city.

I don't live a place where just eat and the like are a thing, so I don't know how prevailant this kind of stuff is, but that's not capitalism, or parking, or congestion - it's just being an idle fucker.

Being an idle fucker is a part of this stuff, and it's an attitude that needs addressing in the same way as buying a ridiculously big car that won't fit on your drive, or parking on the zig-zag lines outside school.

There's plenty of them in this country, I've parked in double lined car parks (ie a marked space between each car bay) in Derby and Leicester. Loads better than having to do a limbo dance to get in and out of your car.

This very day, in Worcester, I watched a just eat delivery bloke walk into a Greggs, pick up an order, walk out, cross the road, ring the bell of a flat above a shop, and deliver it.

Probably 60 yards door-to-door, Sunday lunchtime, on one of the main shopping streets in a pleasant, small city.

I don't live a place where just eat and the like are a thing, so I don't know how prevailant this kind of stuff is, but that's not capitalism, or parking, or congestion - it's just being an idle fucker.

Being an idle fucker is a part of this stuff, and it's an attitude that needs addressing in the same way as buying a ridiculously big car that won't fit on your drive, or parking on the zig-zag lines outside school.
That's awesome the recipient would have had to pay extra for someone else to carry that bag across the road for him.

Possibly an idle fucker. Possibly ill or disabled. There are people for whom the bottom of the stairs is just about doable and 60 yards in public is absolutely out.

Weird digression for a transport thread.

It's the problem with calling these things out. I detest our students in my day job who take the lift one floor. But I'd never say a word about it, because you know it would be the one fucking time that it's someone with a hidden disability. Though if all the fuckers that did it had one, we'd have the most disabled student body in the country.

Not really! Not even a digression

The sausage roll courier walked, right? As Kebabking thinks the unknown recipient should have. So there wasn’t any modal substitution involved in the decision to order rather than to go to Greggs. Ergo, not a transport issue.

The sausage roll courier walked, right? As Kebabking thinks the unknown recipient should have. So there wasn’t any modal substitution involved in the decision to order rather than to go to Greggs. Ergo, not a transport issue.
It’s a transport issue - a delivery driver didn’t need to use his vehicle to make a delivery.
And people’s laziness/desire for convenience is extremely relevant to this thread

It's the problem with calling these things out. I detest our students in my day job who take the lift one floor. But I'd never say a word about it, because you know it would be the one fucking time that it's someone with a hidden disability. Though if all the fuckers that did it had one, we'd have the most disabled student body in the country.
Why do you object to someone using the lift to go one floor even when it's down to pure laziness? It would be better for them if they take the stairs but if they wish to remain unfit surely that's a personal choice?

Are you tripping? How is not a transport issue?

Because either the customer or the delivery person would have walked. If a person’s shopping journey is replaced by that of a delivery person using the same transport mode as the shopper would have otherwise chosen, the event is irrelevant to emissions or congestion or any other transport problem.

As you would see, plainly, if you were in your right mind.

Because either the customer or the delivery person would have walked. If a person’s shopping journey is replaced by that of a delivery person using the same transport mode as the shopper would have otherwise chosen, the event is irrelevant to emissions or congestion or any other transport problem.

As you would see, plainly, if you were in your right mind.
Of course it’s relevant. Not using fossil fuel transport is as relevant to climate change as using it.
And the customer’s lack of consideration for others and for the environment is extremely relevant.

Of course it’s relevant. Not using fossil fuel transport is as relevant to climate change as using it.
And the customer’s lack of consideration for others and for the environment is extremely relevant.

Are you okay? Honestly, I’m slightly worried about you by this point and wonder whether you might benefit from a lie down,

Ah - unless you are assuming that the Just Eat person drove to the Greggs prior to walking to the customer’s flat. But this is a busy high street, from what Kebabking said, so the overwhelming likelihood is that he was strategically positioned on foot between a few nearby foot outlets and his moped.

You’re being very patronising and weird.
I’ve just explained myself.
All forms of transport are part of the conversation.
You can’t direct conversations unnaturally anyway

Why do you object to someone using the lift to go one floor even when it's down to pure laziness? It would be better for them if they take the stairs but if they wish to remain unfit surely that's a personal choice?
To drag it, kicking and screaming, back on topic, what is it anyone's business if I buy a Land Rover Disco as my next car? It affects other people, but you know... fuck them. An extreme analogy, but stopping a lift at every fucking floor because you're lazy does affect others. In a more immediate way than my neighbour buying a Canyonero would.

Ah - unless you are assuming that the Just Eat person drove to the Greggs prior to walking to the customer’s flat. But this is a busy high street, from what Kebabking said, so the overwhelming likelihood is that he was strategically positioned on foot between a few nearby foot outlets and his moped.
Am I the only person here who is baffled by the direction this has gone?
How is either people being willing to expect someone else to drive their meal a matter of yards away or a delivery driver deciding not to use their vehicle to make a delivery not relevant to this thread?
And why does it matter so much that Silas Loom decided to intervene and divert an organically proceeding conversation?

To be fair, it's this sort of pointless diversion that makes urban so much more fun than other places. If a wee bit frustrating at times.

A societal/cultural issue - people thinking they can/should have whatever they fancy for lunch - is a transport issue because it clogs up the roads with an endless number of back and forth journeys.

Do you believe that when the (late 20's?) person who opened the door decides to leave the city centre and move out to St Johns, or Hallow, or Claines, they will cast off their taste for delivered food and only do a once-a-week shop - or is it likely they'll continue with it, just with a 3 mile car/motorbike journey instead of a 60m amble?

I have been in a number of large cities over the past week and the amount of delivery bikes I saw was insane. Don’t people cook their own dinner or make sarnies for lunch anymore?
Not all of them are delivering takeaways though (though still the majority). Express grocery deliveries are the next big thing and have exploded in the last year or two. Gorillas and various other independents, and now various supermarkets are offering their own express delivery services.

But yes, since Covid the amount of delivery bikes in London has grown to an insane amount. Yesterday I was in Beckenham and there were now fewer than 15-20 delivery bikers parked next to each other on the high street by the restaurants, chatting and waiting for the next job to blip on their app.

Same point, why are people not going to buy their own loaf of bread and pint of milk?

Some people may have health reasons for not being able to go the local shop, but I don’t believe that can be more than 10% so must of these deliveries must be due to laziness. Or is it a time is money thing?

At the older end of it, it's probably Too Much Money, but it's a thing with the young'uns too and I wonder how much it relates to never being able to save for property. So why bother? It's only money. It's literally there to make your life better, so if you have zero prospect of saving up for something then spend it now and be happy.

I certainly noticed some class / race dynamics on display when looking at the delivery drivers vs those being delivered to.
A lot of deliveries seemed to be going to those private university blocks of flats that seem to be everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom