Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sun hats for men

Bob Mortimer has a very nice hat in that Going Fishing series. I forget where it’s from but I’ll try and remember later. You may be able to find it on google before I get a chance.

May well be a website over here. I like it.

May well be a website over here. I like it.

Very similar. Both the hat design and the website

I've got two trilby type hats one blue, one straw coloured; one black bucket for fishing; a baker's boy; a No8Do Sevilla baseball hat; and my Yachtmaster baseball hat.

They're all good for different purposes. I mainly wear the baseball caps because of the peak size. They really help keep the sun out of my eyes.

Does anyone know what these hats are called? They have a big peak which can seemingly be worn jauntily without any regard to where the sun is coming from, but which might actually be useful if for example you're walking a winding path with the sun alternately behind or to one side of you.

Photo is from the Victorian period in Norfolk.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 132320.png

Does anyone know what these hats are called? They have a big peak which can seemingly be worn jauntily without any regard to where the sun is coming from, but which might actually be useful if for example you're walking a winding path with the sun alternately behind or to one side of you.

View attachment 385778
They’re just old school oil cloth sou’westers, aren’t they?

Aren't they sou'westers ?

On another "sun hats for men" related matter - perhaps a campaign hat could work even while dressed very casually?

Campaign hats have excellent brimmage and a strap worn at the back so good in the wind too, but obviously they have state trooper and drill sergeant connotations, although surely there's no reason they couldn't be worn with e.g. t-shirt and jeans or whatever.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 140306.png

Last edited:
On another sun hats for me related matter - perhaps a campaign hat could work even while dressed very casually?

Campaign hats have excellent brimmage and a strap worn at the back so good in the wind too, but obviously they have state trooper and drill sergeant connotations, although surely there's no reason they couldn't be worn with e.g. t-shirt and jeans or whatever.

View attachment 385785
Are the squirrel epaulettes part of 'the look'?

I've had a genuine "the coppers are getting younger" moment with that bloke, he looks like a boy scout come along for a try-out.

I respect Jeremy Corbyn's Breton fisherman's cap as a sound choice, but I wouldn't trust myself to carry it off as a look until I'm a senior pensioner.

I respect Jeremy Corbyn's Breton fisherman's cap as a sound choice, but I wouldn't trust myself to carry it off as a look until I'm a senior pensioner.
I will be forever unable to wear one because I'm actually hoping to live in Brittany and sail a small boat :(

Hat ID help

IMG_20230805_114152.jpg

I found it in a friend's garage and he says it was there when they moved in.
It says Outback on it on a little badge and was made in the USA.
What I really like about it is that the material is hard, it's not a floppy hat, if you frisbied it at someone's head like Oddjob you could do some damage.
It feels good to wear and I'd take it but this one is a medium and too small

Can anyone point me to something similar?
I'm not even sure what to search for
The stiffness is important to me

Hat ID help

View attachment 385928

I found it in a friend's garage and he says it was there when they moved in.
It says Outback on it on a little badge and was made in the USA.
What I really like about it is that the material is hard, it's not a floppy hat, if you frisbied it at someone's head like Oddjob you could do some damage.
It feels good to wear and I'd take it but this one is a medium and too small

Can anyone point me to something similar?
I'm not even sure what to search for
The stiffness is important to me

Australian bush hat.

That's not a hat. This is a hat.

I have one and it is very stiff.

Back
Top Bottom