Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sun hats for men

won't get sun burnt in this one

57dce2ae94dbe218c4654c5f-large.jpg

Bob Mortimer has a very nice hat in that Going Fishing series. I forget where it’s from but I’ll try and remember later. You may be able to find it on google before I get a chance.

I’ve become accustomed to a Pork Pie - works for my big fat round head too.

Good choice :)

I can't really do hats, my head is small and every item of headwear both looks ridiculous and slips down over my eyes. It isn't just the size of my head, the shape is odd, like I have no forehead to speak of.

I've got some great news for you here: unless you're donning something really outlandish like a top hat or a tricorn, no-one will give a shit what hat you wear, so the only real obstacle you have to get past is your own self-doubt.

Not quite true:. I have a strong irrational hatred of the beret, whether it's the classic Frank Spencer, the activist 'Citizen Smith'/ Richard Thompson style, or 1970s giant floppy 'hovis' beret beloved of Elton John/Mick Jagger/John Lennon.

Although I don't think hats suit me, when I think about it I used to wear them all the time and had quite a good selection. I think hats must have been generally quite "in" during that period of my life. Woollen hats for winter, South American type things with mutlicoloured woven fabric bands, army style caps, Lenin caps, I had a few very practical sunhats for when I was on digs too (I go from white to burnt in approximately a minute so covering up when working outdoors is essential).

Not quite true:. I have a strong irrational hatred of the beret, whether it's the classic Frank Spencer, the activist 'Citizen Smith'/ Richard Thompson style, or 1970s giant floppy 'hovis' beret beloved of Elton John/Mick Jagger/John Lennon.
A beret is definitely a more difficult hat to wear, no doubt about it. It's hard to get away from looking like you're in costume.

I've wondered why Frank Spencer wore one. I wasn't alive in the 70s but would a real-life character like him reasonably have worn one or was it some sort of clown-label from the costume department?

View attachment 278035
I think there was a wider range of hats about then, but mostly among older generations so a young man wearing a beret would probably have seemed a bit weird and anachronistic, so yeah I think it's a costume department clown label.

I think there was a wider range of hats about then, but mostly among older generations so a young man wearing a beret would probably have seemed a bit weird and anachronistic, so yeah I think it's a costume department clown label.
Yeah, hatlessness was one of the early victories of the counter culture. People Frank’s age wouldn’t have worn a hat.

Do still see the farmers round here in proper stereotypical big old conical straw hats like Tintin in China might have. Might be a push in Leeds!
Get a woven grass rain cloak too and go the whole hog:
1626023861764.png

The other sensible one is those Canadian Tilley hats, supposed to be hard wearing and good quality, bit of a fisherman look.

I bought a tiger stripe boonie hat from Silverman's in the mid-90s which I lost whilst reading comics on a bench near Neal Street during a shopping expedition mere weeks after getting it ( :( ) but I've just had a look at their website and it's still selling for the same price 25+ years on :eek:

Back
Top Bottom