Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Subversive Music - RATM, Lowkey, Akala, Slaves, Allflaws

One of the singers, Alessandro Danelli, died last week in a scooter accident. Anyway, here's a track off their 2005 album The music in the street.

And another...

And a bouncy version of A las barricades...

Last edited:
There's a nice back story to this.

When the band previously known as Slaves changed their name to Soft Play there was quite a backlash from some fans. That's what the words are about.

But if you really want to wind these "fans" up why not get Robbie Williams to guest on it.

And he does in the quiet bit towards the end.

Nice work Soft Play! 👍
Hahaha yes love the Robbie Williams bit. For me one of their best tracks

There's a nice back story to this.

When the band previously known as Slaves changed their name to Soft Play there was quite a backlash from some fans. That's what the words are about.

But if you really want to wind these "fans" up why not get Robbie Williams to guest on it.

And he does in the quiet bit towards the end.

Nice work Soft Play! 👍
I still don't really understand the reason for the name change. An American band who had the same name have changed theirs as well. I've done a couple of searches and can't easily find anyone saying they were offended or why? On the otherhand people should be offended by the concept and reality of slaves and slavery. Not sure that that offence is a reason to change the name. Obviously they can call themselves (if it wasn't the record company they signed the contract with piling pressure on) what they like but the new name is a bit shit.

Irish folk/drone band Lankum changed their name from Lynched. The original name was referring to the Lynch brothers in the band, but they acknowledged that it was problematic and renamed the band.

Irish folk/drone band Lankum changed their name from Lynched. The original name was referring to the Lynch brothers in the band, but they acknowledged that it was problematic and renamed the band.
What is the point? Commercial concerns or something else?

Lankum changed their name several years ago, before all the current culture wars. They know the score, they're on the ball and not afraid to do the right thing instead of doubling down.
What I am trying to get at is why is it the right thing? Lynchings, Slavery both fucking shit things but why is it unacceptable to reference them in band names?

Back
Top Bottom