Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUBTITLES we have KNOWN and LOVED

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
Watching Jesse V Johnson's turgid straight-to-streaming ‘espionage thriller’ Chief Of Station. Great it is not.

There's a bit where our ageing renegade spook-under-pressure Aaron Eckhart calls his Mr Exposition - CIA tech Desmond Jackson (Jonathan Ajayi) - for no real reason, expecting him to be at Agency headquarters in Langley. But no! He is unexpectedly (and with no impact on the plot) in the UK. How do we know this? Well...

Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 09.24.12.jpg

He is filmed in the same room as an earlier Virginia-set scene, but this time shot at a slightly different angle, blinds drawn, photo of Piccadilly Circus and Union Jack tourist flag on the wall, BECAUSE LONDON
Is that a yes or a no? Sorry, I’m confused by this thread

'Subtitle' is the name we give to a caption displayed at the bottom of a cinema or television screen that translates or transcribes the dialogue or narrative.

I get that!
But is that subtitle different from what’s spoken? Otherwise, I’m struggling to grasp the thrust of this thread.
You're not the only one.

But I'm willing to go with it.

Apparently the English subtitles for Ghost in the Machine are a deliberately incorrect translation, 'cause "relying on technology can lead you astray" or something.

Dropout's subtitles are genuinely, joyfully descriptive. For example...

hvsb5lhklbhb1.jpg

i-love-watching-dropout-with-subtitles-theres-always-some-v0-bgap45x4yboa1.jpg

t3ins8h9onha1.jpg

Apparently the English subtitles for Ghost in the Machine are a deliberately incorrect translation, 'cause "relying on technology can lead you astray" or something.
Whoah, are you talking about a different Ghost In The Machine? You must be as the one I saw is in English. Mad co-incidence either way!

Former Shin Bet director Avraham Shalom in 2012's The Gatekeepers - making a point, but not one I'm sure I'm getting right now

SUBDOMthegatekeepers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom