Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stunning pictures of the North

fire-in-the-sky-mam-tor-ridge.jpg

WOW! :O

Added to my list of must visit at some point. :)

Sounds perfect to me!

Urban outing in the spring? :)
We've tried to organise a walk for ages but it never gets off the ground! But I'd be up for it - knees permitting. I've not done a proper walk for a few years because of dodgy skeleton, so might need to put mountain rescue on speed dial. :oops:

Thanks for those, guess where we are aiming to be next weekend:)

Guess who didn't manage a ridge stroll this weekend, had to change a burst radiator on Saturday morning, then decided to put the tree and stuff up.
Worked yesterday:(
Will try again between Christmas and the New Year.

Peel Crags

Posting here as everyone complains when I put stuff like this on the mundane thread :D

Actually, Peel Crags appears to be part of Hadrians Wall, so is likely to be part of the Great Whin Sill. The Whin Sill is an incredibly mundane rock as it underpins around 1,500 square miles of the North East, so your naysayers would be wrong. ;)

Admittedly, it is a beautiful example of a very hard dolerite, but that's by the by. :)

Yep, the wall goes straight over the top. There was quite a gale blowing up there, so I didn't hang about too long :D

I think I've only been to the wall once, on a school fieldtrip to Hexham back in the 80s. It was summer I think, so OK ish weather. :)

Vindolanda and Houseteads were the places we went to, if memory serves. I thought they were boring at the time. :D

I think I've only been to the wall once, on a school fieldtrip to Hexham back in the 80s. It was summer I think, so OK ish weather. :)

Vindolanda and Houseteads were the places we went to, if memory serves. I thought they were boring at the time. :D
You probably passed here then. Vindolanda is about half a mile behind the wall here and Housesteads is a couples of miles further east.

You probably passed here then. Vindolanda is about half a mile behind the wall here and Housesteads is a couples of miles further east.

Possibly - oddly, I have no memory of the surrounding area but remember quite clearly one of the Roman forts for some reason, and walking around and sitting down on some wall bored out of my mind. I would have been 14/15 at the time which would explain that attitude :D

Back
Top Bottom