Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

John Lewis cleaners on strike on London again on Friday. Solidarity pickets are requested outside there other stores at midday. Just turn up - or, more wisely - check if your local IWW branch is organising anything

Make this if you can.

“We are going to jam up the fuel system, we’re going to mount a campaign of direct action. The only way to get the government to take notice is to threaten them…
This time the protest will be treated as a picket line, so other union members will not cross it…

We’re fighting for our community, for the jobs of our members. We can’t let it go without a fight.”

a fuel crisis would make the PCS Borders Agency strike look like a walk in the park. They'd shit it straight away.

there are contending pressures on him - clearly ahead of the olympics he'll be sensitive to how strikes are demonised in the media and won't want to court their opprobrium. At the same time, he's been the first leader in 25? years to speak at the Durham miner gala. He needs the affiliated unions with him, but wants to curb their militancy. A similar kind of politics to the TUC.

I'm not underestimating what a potentially damaging role this might see him play. At the same time he faces certain pressures that simply don't exist for out-and-out neoliberal parties.

Can you not see how media led you are in the bubble? Go on give him a narrative, i'm sure that's enough to undermine a century of structure and interest. All you've said there is that miliband has the option of playing left and this somehow is a victory.

(no this is not a victory, it shows that the pressures that exist mean we can rally a pole blah blah- vote and join labour, the scabs party, up the strikers)

Can you not see how media led you are in the bubble? Go on give him a narrative, i'm sure that's enough to undermine a century of structure and interest. All you've said there is that miliband has the option of playing left and this somehow is a victory.

(no this is not a victory, it shows that the pressures that exist mean we can rally a pole blah blah- vote and join labour, the scabs party, up the strikers)
scabs party? Really? Fuck off with that. I'm talking about a century of structure - structural links to the working class mediated by the trade unions. Is this problematic. Yes. Does it count for nothing at all?

It counts in the same way the tory party does. I note that you, as ever, ignore the content of the post questioning what your internal challenge (that you can't get off the ground) could ever mean today.

It counts in the same way the tory party does. I note that you, as ever, ignore the content of the post questioning what your internal challenge (that you can't get off the ground) could ever mean today.
Anyone who still thinks there's no difference can't see what's staring them in the face.
As for internal challenges that remains to be seen. But a stronger left inside and outside can only help

Anyone who still thinks there's no difference can't see what's staring them in the face.
As for internal challenges that remains to be seen. But a stronger left inside and outside can only help
Who said there was no difference? I said the difference counts in the same way.

Inside/outside/for/against - just vote labour, join labour and campaign for labour, which has no effect on other Inside/outside/for/against stuff at all, nor suggests a labour party centred solution (one constructed though pluralist debate no doubt).

just vote labour, join labour and campaign for labour, which has no effect on other Inside/outside/for/against stuff at all, nor suggests a labour party centred solution (one constructed though pluralist debate no doubt).

I've never reduced politics to "vote/join/campaign for labour" - people will do this or not as they see fit. None of that is central. It's you that seems to think that any involvement whatever with Labour reduces issues to this.

I've never reduced politics to "vote/join/campaign for labour" - people will do this or not as they see fit. None of that is central. It's you that seems to think that any involvement whatever with Labour reduces issues to this.
Your membership does this. There is nothing but vote labour. What else is there for my mum?

why do you think left wing people should join a reactionary party like the labour party? frankly you've got more chance of moving the conservative & unionist party to the left.

No it doesn't. Your mum? Where does she work, is she a pensioner, does she use NHS services, etc? Lots of ways to be involved that are in no way dependent on LP membership.

why do you think left wing people should join a reactionary party like the labour party? frankly you've got more chance of moving a party to the left by becoming a member of the conservative and unionist party.
tiresome. The c&up does not have a historic and structural link to the w/c. I don;t say people who don't join Labour are wrong/stupid. There are good reasons to be sceptical. But ultimately I think that an engagement (qualified, tactical) with Labour will be more productive than destructive of a left alternative.

tiresome. The c&up does not have a historic and structural link to the w/c. I don;t say people who don't join Labour are wrong/stupid. There are good reasons to be sceptical. But ultimately I think that an engagement (qualified, tactical) with Labour will be more productive than destructive of a left alternative.
given left-wingers have been whinging about moving the labour party to the left since at least 1930, and better people than you have tried and failed, don't you think you should be doing something more productive with your time?

given left-wingers have been whinging about moving the labour party to the left since at least 1930, and better people than you have tried and failed, don't you think you should be doing something more productive with your time?
very little of my time is spent directly in Labour work. But that doesn't mean all engagement with Labour could be profitably abandoned

Tory you say VP, you are the one supporting the relatively well off taking money off the poor.

Only by your strange logic of levelling the majority downward (the usual Tory tactic, you Welsh Tory cunt!), rather than levelling the minority upward.

You're a fucking disgrace.

Back
Top Bottom