Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sports Personality of the Year 2015

I think it's more than that, unfortunately. It's another sign that fewer people see or care about cricket than was the case pre-Sky. Last time cricket hit the national consciousness in a big way was 2005, which was not coincidentally also the last time cricket was shown live on free-to-air tv. It'll soon be about as relevant as Rugby League.
See also Yorkshire CC not even mentioned as a possibility for team of the year despite dominating the CC.

If it really is on achievement I have no idea why Mo hasn't won or got a knighthood, the lad's done things nobody else has, let alone any Brit

One of the most famous nominees in one of the most popular sports wins despite having accomplished the least in his sport over the last 12 months.

Apart from winning something not won for 79 years.
It's a bit secondary, though. The top players have kind of taken it in turns to take it seriously and win it - Djokovic one year, Nadal another, Federer another. Murray won't be doing it next year after the first match, or probably ever again.

Not knocking it too much - he did win 11 matches in a row - but it ranks just below winning a Slam, which all the top players commit to trying to win every year.

Something that doesn't matter in the sport not won for 79 years. There are four important competitions each year in professional tennis. The Davis Cup isn't one of them.
The premier team competition in tennis initiated in 1900; with 126 currently countries entering. This win moves the UK to third in the all-time winners list. :)

And he's not even British.

Born and Raised in Manchester.

The British tend to appropriate alot of our sporting & acting talent, as one of ours said

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quo...i-win-an-oscar-i-brenda-fricker-138-43-86.jpg

So in this case, no you can't pawn Tyson Fury back to us as he was never Irish in the first place.[/QUOTE]

"“I’m Irish,” Fury said. “I may not have been born here but it is what I feel. Ireland doesn’t seem to want me but I want what is my birthright, namely to represent my country."

“I’m not some politician trying to win a few votes by flying an Irish flag. I’m not a footballer wanting to get a passport so he can play for the international team. I’m a Fury, cousins of the musicians (The Furey’s and Davy Arthur) on my father’s side and cousins of Andy Lee’s family on my mother’s. How Irish are they?"

“I’m not doing this for profit because when you think about it, Britain has a population of 60 million people compared to the five million who live in Ireland. So from a business perspective, it would make sense to fly under a British flag. But that would be me denying who I am and where I came from."
Tyson Fury: Why Britain's gain is Ireland's heavyweight loss

Something that doesn't matter in the sport not won for 79 years. There are four important competitions each year in professional tennis. The Davis Cup isn't one of them.
How do you know? Are you a professional tennis player? It mattered to Murray enough for him to commit to it for the last 5 years, as it took that long to drag us up from almost the bottom level of world tennis. And you could see how much it mattered to Murray when we won it. Although I guess you weren't watching anyway.

I think the Davis Cup was a cracking team achievement given the paucity of talent we have outside of the Murray brothers and it is arguable that Murray put his own personal gain in some tournaments on the back burner to pull us through.

No problem with him winning at all, I think it put Tennis to a wider audience for various small bursts of time, not least in Scotland and get why people voted for him

Eta and as Dr. Furface says this has been a 5 year commitment, a 'project' in modern sporting parlance. Fair play.

How do I know that the Davis Cup is a sideshow? That's like asking how do you know that the Giro d'Italia is a more important race than the Giro di Toscana. It's not an important competition because the top players don't treat it like they treat Wimbledon, the US Open, the French Open, the Australian Open or even the biggest non Slam events like the ATP Tour Finals. If a competition is treated as a major goal by every top player every year, then it matters within the sport. If it isn't treated like that, it's of lesser importance. Instead, the Davis Cup is something that top players drift in and out of, occasionally going all out to win in a particular year, but mostly not.

There is no case to be made whatsoever that the Davis Cup is one of the four most important competitions in the sport each year. There's little case to be made that it's fifth or sixth, but let's for the sake of argument overrate it as much as we possibly can: In that case, Murray won the fifth most important event this year in his sport. Everybody else on the shortlist, with the solitary exception of Bronze, won the first or second most important thing in their sport.

How do I know that the Davis Cup is a sideshow? That's like asking how do you know that the Giro d'Italia is a more important race than the Giro di Toscana. It's not an important competition because the top players don't treat it like they treat Wimbledon, the US Open, the French Open, the Australian Open or even the biggest non Slam events like the ATP Tour Finals. If a competition is treated as a major goal by every top player every year, then it matters within the sport. If it isn't treated like that, it's of lesser importance. Instead, the Davis Cup is something that top players drift in and out of, occasionally going all out to win in a particular year, but mostly not..
Yep. Serbia went out in the quarter finals this year without Djokovic. Switzerland in the first round without Federer or Wawrinka. None of them was injured - they just had other priorities.

Yep. Serbia went out in the quarter finals this year without Djokovic. Switzerland in the first round without Federer or Wawrinka. None of them was injured - they just had other priorities.
They will play at some point tho, usually until their country wins it. They do want to win it, it rounds everything off, tho they might only do so until they win. Djokovich, Federer & Warwinka are all scheduled to play in next years (at the moment)

Why does it matter that the Davis cup isn't a significant trophy? Seems an odd thing to get hung up about.

Only in the sense that it's odd to have a strong opinion about the SPOTY competition, which is fundamentally a bit silly. If we are going to give the SPOTY enough significance to bother wasting our time squabbling on the internet about it, then it's worth pointing out that the winner achieved the least in his sport in the last 12 months of any of the nominees and won basically for being more famous than most in a sport that's more popular than most. The Davis Cup is the closest thing in Murray's year to a major achievement, so that fact that it isn't really that important in the world of tennis is of interest.

Back
Top Bottom