Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sports Personality of the Year 2015

I'd vote for Lewis Hamilton or Chris Froome personally, but I suspect that is more of a reflection of the sports I'm interested in rather than who is the best.

Team of the year should be the Norn Ireland Euros squad though.

I'd vote for Lewis Hamilton or Chris Froome personally, but I suspect that is more of a reflection of the sports I'm interested in rather than who is the best.

Team of the year should be the Norn Ireland Euros squad though.
I hope Froome doesn't win it given he isn't British and has no personality.

I'd say Ennis-Hill, what she has done is remarkable in terms of conditioning, but I reckon she'll get overlooked yet again.

Mo Farah is under a bit of a cloud at the moment with his involvement with Salazar (fair or not, there's less goodwill towards him recently as a result), otherwise his achievements would also deserve it.

Fury can sod off, he won the Heavyweight Championship in it's weakest era with a 'just-good-enough' performance that would make proper boxers piss themselves laughing. Plus he's a cunt.

Hamilton is a boring, petulant arse in the world's most boring 'sport', yawn.

Luzy Bronze won't get a sniff but should be right up there, if an England player from the men's team had performed like she had in a tournament in which we reached the Semi's it'd be wanked over like nobody's business.

Murray will probably win it to be honest, unless they go for the Davis Cup team as Team of the Year, in which case Jess might sneak the solo award.

No cricketers as usual. Jimmy Anderson and Joe Root have been outstanding this year.I guess winning the Ashes has become routine...

The list is always biased towards athletics.

No cricketers as usual. Jimmy Anderson and Joe Root have been outstanding this year.I guess winning the Ashes has become routine...

The list is always biased towards athletics.
Ya I was thinking Joe Root was unlucky not to be picked. I guess it wasn't really a vintage ashes so that's why he missed out.

Ya I was thinking Joe Root was unlucky not to be picked. I guess it wasn't really a vintage ashes so that's why he missed out.
I think it's more than that, unfortunately. It's another sign that fewer people see or care about cricket than was the case pre-Sky. Last time cricket hit the national consciousness in a big way was 2005, which was not coincidentally also the last time cricket was shown live on free-to-air tv. It'll soon be about as relevant as Rugby League.

I think it's more than that, unfortunately. It's another sign that fewer people see or care about cricket than was the case pre-Sky. Last time cricket hit the national consciousness in a big way was 2005, which was not coincidentally also the last time cricket was shown live on free-to-air tv. It'll soon be about as relevant as Rugby League.
Pity if it goes that way.

Really hope Kevin Sinfield gets it. Typical Rugby League bloke, hard nosed and as skilled as they come and a decent bloke. Even though I'm a lightweight league fan(Warrington is my team at a push) I still recognise he's quality.

Tyson Fury or Murray will probably get it though.

Hamilton isn't British anymore, having emigrated first to Switzerland and then Monaco. I seem to remember last year him saying how proud he was "to represent my country", the lying little cunt.

He's sadly not nominated, but my vote would go to Nigel Owens:

Half-decent ref he may be, but I can't stand officials who make it all about them.

Just ref the game, nobody cares about your witty little bon mots :rolleyes:

I was quite surprised to look at the winners of the last ten years. Of these, only four have been English. This is in stark contrast to previous decades, where the winner has, with the odd single exception, been almost invariably English, even at times when other Celtic sportsmen, e.g. Gareth Edwards, Alan Wells were at the absolute pinnacle of their chosen sport globally.

No attempt to make any particular point with that but was wondering whether it's either a reflection of a greater sense of 'Britishness' in relation to sports leading to an increased willingness to acknowledge excellence regardless of country of origin, or a reflection of a golden age of 'Celtic' sport, or a bit of both.

I was quite surprised to look at the winners of the last ten years. Of these, only four have been English. This is in stark contrast to previous decades, where the winner has, with the odd single exception, been almost invariably English, even at times when other Celtic sportsmen, e.g. Gareth Edwards, Alan Wells were at the absolute pinnacle of their chosen sport globally.

No attempt to make any particular point with that but was wondering whether it's either a reflection of a greater sense of 'Britishness' in relation to sports leading to an increased willingness to acknowledge excellence regardless of country of origin, or a reflection of a golden age of 'Celtic' sport, or a bit of both.
Or random variation, tbf.

There's also a massive bias towards Olympic sports and individual sports in general - these might get more attention in Scotland, perhaps. Plus for some reason, car drivers always do well. Hardly any cricketers or footballers or rugby players.

There have definitely been weak years, too. 1975 is a weird one. David Steele??? Of all the cricketers who should have got it... :D 1997 Greg Rusedski - for getting to a final. 2006 Zara Phillips - for being royal.

Last edited:
Or random variation, tbf.

Maybe. I've got a hunch that it's not, though.

There's also a massive bias towards Olympic sports and individual sports in general - these might get more attention in Scotland, perhaps. Plus for some reason, car drivers always do well. Hardly any cricketers or footballers or rugby players.

Yeah, this is very true. Even being absolutely exceptional at any of those team sports doesn't guarantee you the win.

There have definitely been weak years, too. 1975 is a weird one. David Steele??? Of all the cricketers who should have got it... :D 1997 Greg Rusedski - for getting to a final. 2006 Zara Phillips - for being royal

BBC's weakest SPOTY winners: in pictures. Brendan Foster in 1974, the year the 'Indomitables' Lions touring side went to South Africa and won every single game they played*. Not one candidate from that side??? I also seem to recall a rather excellent Zara Phillips SPOTY bunfight thread a while back :)

*E2A - though they did win team of the year

Last edited:
*Team Max here*

WC team silver (to top his/their Olympic team bronze). Individual gold for the first time ever, even if I thought he was a bit of a cheeky bastard for overtaking Louis Smith (he could have won gold next time) :p And he's so lovely, in contrast to some of the miserable, bigotted, tax-dodging cunts on the list :cool:

h4qI89X.gif

It's fundamentally a silly competition, but if someone has to win it should be one of the people who have actually achieved something of major significance in their sport in the last year.

Straight away that rules out Murray. He might be among the favourites but he won nothing of any importance. Oddly enough it doesn't instantaneously rule out anyone else, which means it's an unusually strong field. You can make a reasonably argument that it shouldn't be any of the people in sports that are all about the Olympics who won a World Championships medal. That would be pretty good in a lot of fields but, this year there are a lot of people listed who did something a bit more important than that in their own sport. Still though, the only one on the list who doesn't belong there at all is Murray - one of the best British athletes across all sports, but he won nothing that matters at all in the last year. Any of the rest of them you can make some sort of case for.

That said, I'd vote for Lizzy Armitstead who hasn't the slightest chance of winning so what do I know?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom