• Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Jordan Henderson

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

stavros

It's not 'til a week on Sunday, but the nominations are known and the voting will take place on the night. Who should win of the nominees?

No one stands out for me. Henderson and O'Sullivan are the only ones who play sports I watch, and so I'd have to go for the latter. He plays a solo sport, after all. Then again, if he was going to get it it should've been in 2013, when he retained the WCs after a year off.

I was tempted to leave Hamilton off the list, given he's a Monégasque tax-dodger and has been for many years. The likes of him, Button and Wiggins made their choice to financially abandon the UK during their years of highest income.

I was a bit surprised Tao Geoghegan Hart didn't make it. Adam Peaty also broke another two world records.

I would be very surprised if Hamilton doesn't win it.

Many don't share urban's distaste for tax-dodging (indeed, many admire and applaud it), and he's just become the most successful person in the history of his sport.

Only thing that might count against him is many of those same people who admire him for his tax-dodging might look less fondly on him speaking out on race and other issues.

But, if I were a betting man, that's where my money'd go.

And then I'd report my winnings to HRMC, obviously ;)

Can't believe Jonathan Rea isn't in the mix. He's just won his sixth successive championship, making him the most succesful World SBK rider ever. A sport that requires incredbile physical and mental strength, skill, courage, and character.

No Marcus Rashford ? :(

Yes, Rashford ought to walk it, but I think the Beeb, mindful of their charter and him having made the government look like arseholes, have deliberately kept him out of the running. I think he's getting some kind of services-to-sport gong.

Fury asked to be taken off the shortlist, so watching him accept the award, or not, should be fun.

Tadej Pogačar ought to get the overseas gong for the final TdF time trial. But he won't, because these are the nominees.

Yes, Rashford ought to walk it, but I think the Beeb, mindful of their charter and him having made the government look like arseholes, have deliberately kept him out of the running. I think he's getting some kind of services-to-sport gong.
Irony being that the whole bally point has been his services outside of sport.

The government made themselves look like arseholes, by being arseholes. And arseholes they remain. Not to take anything away from Rashford, quite the opposite. His aim was not to show up the government, only to get hungry kids fed.

Whoever wins, I hope they hand their gong over to Rashford. That would be beautiful.

He's been no slouch on the pitch either mind you. Meanwhile Lewis Hamilton has merely sat in the correct car, and Hollie Whatserface has merely sat on the correct horse.
No, I've always really rated Rashford on the pitch (before it was 'cool' to like him :mad: :p ), but even so there's plenty of others operating at a similar level in that regard; it'd be his off-the-pitch stuff he should be recognised for.

Jordan Henderson is average when he doesn’t have Virgil behind him, telling him where to go and covering up for his lack of tactical nous. He’s a good runner with a half decent knock on him. Bollocks him being in the list. Media Darlings LFC tm

Rashford should get a knighthood rather than a sports award

not sure how you could not giving it to the most successful British sportsman who has in his own way spent the year trying to spread a political message
in a sport where their is very little diversity

Rashford should get a knighthood rather than a sports award

not sure how you could not giving it to the most successful British sportsman who has in his own way spent the year trying to spread a political message
in a sport where their is very little diversity

he shouldn’t have taken the MBE though, and it’s diverse alright, just not at a management or boardroom level. That itself being an obvious wider reflection of society in general.

I'm not even sure Henderson was the best British player at Liverpool over the last year; you could make a very good case for either Alexander-Arnold or Robertson over him.

white, England captain, wins the first league title for what is probably the UKs most supported team for the first time in 3 decades.

they’ve made contact with isolated tribes in the Amazon and found Bruce Grobbelar (cheat bastard) jerseys, Jan Molby nutritional plans, and Jamie Redknapp fitness books.

SPOTY the programme has some daft bits nowadays, where the BBC don't have the rights to show footage of certain sports, so we just get stills. It's less a criticism of the Beeb than of sports rights in general; how does anyone lose out if a Freeview channel broadcasts footage from something that took place months ago?

I like most sports, but motor racing, horse racing and boxing are three that I don't bother with.

Henderson would be kind of worthy, I suppose, but without being spectacular. Captain in a football team isn't such a big deal, really, and he's got it mainly for being captain, I suspect. O'Sullivan would be a bit of a lifetime achievement award. They do do that sometimes, don't they?

In terms of just this calendar year's achievement, Stuart Broad would be a pretty worthy winner. Won three series out of three in 2020, including in South Africa, which is a very good away win. Took lots of wickets at a ridiculous average and even scored a few swashbuckling runs. Perhaps like O'Sullivan, it would be a bit of a lifetime achievement recognition, but I don't mind that.

Anyway, regardless of what I think, Hamilton is going to win, no?

Hamilton made my skin crawl, with his pontificating about kids getting the chance in their education. If only there were a way he could help that situation...

It would've been good if they'd contrasted Rashford's campaign with the amount of tax Hamilton has dodged this year.

I was surprised he didn't make the shortlist, and even more so at how little time they gave to Tao Geoghegan Hart's success at the Giro.

Back
Top Bottom