Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spain vs Poland

There was definitely some proper 'bodies on the line' stuff at points.
Other top teams facing lesser sides with a thoroughly defensive set up don’t seem to have as much of a problem breaking through them.

it’s difficult and frustrating to play against a shamelessly defensive ‘park the bus’ formation, but Spain is nowhere near as good as they were ten years ago, so small opposition teams nowadays are doing it because they know it works rather than out of desperation. Or at least, if they do it routinely against all top teams, the likes of France, Belgium, Italy or Germany don’t seem to struggle much.

Other top teams facing lesser sides with a thoroughly defensive set up don’t seem to have as much of a problem breaking through them.

it’s difficult and frustrating to play against a shamelessly defensive ‘park the bus’ formation, but Spain is nowhere near as good as they were ten years ago, so small opposition teams nowadays are doing it because they know it works rather than out of desperation. Or at least, if they do it routinely against all top teams, the likes of France, Belgium, Italy or Germany don’t seem to struggle much.
Football tactics come in waves, don't they - idea–counter-idea? Teams have definitely worked out tiki-taka, not panicked or phased by not having the ball. You will have most of the possession, but that doesn't win you the game on its own. Ironically one of the best teams I've seen to counter that style is a Spanish team - Atlético Madrid.

Football tactics come in waves, don't they - idea–counter-idea? Teams have definitely worked out tiki-taka, not panicked or phased by not having the ball. You will have most of the possession, but that doesn't win you the game on its own. Ironically one of the best teams I've seen to counter that style is a Spanish team - Atlético Madrid.

I think there's some truth in that but also to a large degree the teams that exemplify particular tactics are often dependent on a small number of players that just fit with it. If this Spain team had peak Xavi and Iniesta in it I think they'd be right up there.

Last edited:
I think there's some truth in that but also to a large degree the teams that exemplify particular tactics are often dependent on a small number of players that just fit with it. If this Spain team had peak Xavi and Iniesta in it I think they'd be right up there.
There's that as well, although Spain declined markedly with Iniesta still in the team. How much was that Iniesta being past peak and how much teams working out how to play against t-t? I remember watching a few games when Iniesta basically passed sideways the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom