Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

There's a thread on Quora that discusses this subject, including a contribution from me.

But just to cite three points, of the many, many concerns about colonising Mars:

1) Gravity. Mars is 38% of Earth-normal gravity. Living in zero-G is terribly unhealthy, but there is no data about the health implications of living in low gravity. Sending hundreds of thousands of people off to Mars depends on things just happily working out OK

2) Who would go ? When people emigrated to North America in the 1700s, life was no worse, and in some ways (more land) better, with the same technology, and same jobs. Living on Mars, would be grim: like being sealed in a nuclear submarine. Very restricted vegetarian diet, no open spaces, no greenery, none of the diversions or variety of human civilisation on Earth. I wouldn't mind a gap year on Mars, but living there indefinitely would make a prison sentence on Earth seem agreeable by comparison.

3) Governance. It seems to me that politics is going to be a showstopper. How is Mars run, accounting for the fact that every person who puts their mind to it will be able to commit mass casualty events through sabotage, or just letting the external environment inside ? To guard against these risks, a police state with extreme surveillance powers will be needed.

3) Governance. It seems to me that politics is going to be a showstopper. How is Mars run, accounting for the fact that every person who puts their mind to it will be able to commit mass casualty events through sabotage, or just letting the external environment inside ? To guard against these risks, a police state with extreme surveillance powers will be needed.
That's easy. Musk will be the Imperator Imperator meaning as Elon Musk changes Twitter bio to "Imperator of Mars" and it will be self governing and people signing up to starlink must recognise Mars as having "no Earth-based government has authority or sovereignty over Martian activities."
SpaceX Starlink: User terms of service declare Mars as ‘free planet’ .

How much of this is serious in Musk's mind, and how much he is having a joke isn't clear.

There's a thread on Quora that discusses this subject, including a contribution from me.

But just to cite three points, of the many, many concerns about colonising Mars:

1) Gravity. Mars is 38% of Earth-normal gravity. Living in zero-G is terribly unhealthy, but there is no data about the health implications of living in low gravity. Sending hundreds of thousands of people off to Mars depends on things just happily working out OK

2) Who would go ? When people emigrated to North America in the 1700s, life was no worse, and in some ways (more land) better, with the same technology, and same jobs. Living on Mars, would be grim: like being sealed in a nuclear submarine. Very restricted vegetarian diet, no open spaces, no greenery, none of the diversions or variety of human civilisation on Earth. I wouldn't mind a gap year on Mars, but living there indefinitely would make a prison sentence on Earth seem agreeable by comparison.

There was an experiment where volunteers spent 520 days in warehouse near Moscow, to simulate a trip to mars,

Future astronauts going to Mars could have trouble sleeping, become lethargic, and have problems with mental tasks over the course of a long mission.

interview with one of the volunteers

to my mind it would be better to build self sustaining cities in deserts where people would want to live (i.e. recycle nearly all the water and waste, get all the energy from the sun, rather than something like Dubai)

"At no cost to the government" - how does that work?
Jared Isaacman wants to pay for it. The Polaris Programme is his private space programme, with the Inspiration 4 mission last year being a dry run. Polaris 1 will feature the first spacewalk from Dragon.

A F9 punted a new generation (Navstar) GPS satellite to transfer orbit two days ago. The upper stage passivisation dump produced a nice spiral in the sky above Hawaii.
Falcon 9 upper stage passivisation fuel dump.
It seems the entire upper stage final disposal sequence was visible quite clearly (starts about 24 seconds in): burn, engine cut-off, reorientation, fuel dump.

A F9 punted a new generation (Navstar) GPS satellite to transfer orbit two days ago. The upper stage passivisation dump produced a nice spiral in the sky above Hawaii.
Falcon 9 upper stage passivisation fuel dump.
It seems the entire upper stage final disposal sequence was visible quite clearly (starts about 24 seconds in): burn, engine cut-off, reorientation, fuel dump.

Spent ages looking for it then realised that wasn't a logo I was ignoring.

They're going to test all 33 engines on the starship booster today. If all goes well, it will be the most powerful rocket firing ever. More than twice as much thrust as the Saturn V. Peak power output of ~125GW which is equal to about 1/4 the average electricity consumption for the whole USA

Last edited:
Hi USM what do you mean by:
This is a SpaceX thread. Stoke is not SpaceX. But it is in the same business. So, figuratively, it could be said to be adjacent. Hope that clarifies things. Do let me know if you would like to discuss further.

Last edited:
They're going to test all 33 engines on the starship booster today. If all goes well, it will be the most powerful rocket firing ever. More than twice as much thrust as the Saturn V. Peak power output of ~125GW which is equal to about 1/4 the average electricity consumption for the whole USA
Fueling is well underway. NSF are streaming:

Fully fueled. Could be any minute now, but there's usually a 10 minute warning siren...

31 out of 33 engines fired (one deliberately turned off by controllers, the other turned itself off at ignition)
Still a new record, and very heartening to see everything standing intact afterwards!

It looks like the first SpaceX Starship orbital test flight could be on - they've just filed NOTAMs for launch and recovery for attempts covering 6-12 April, 1355-1810BST each day. These might just be full test dress rehearsals as a shakedown for a date later in the month (Musk has previously hinted at 20 April as a target date), but could possibly include an option to switch to a live launch if everything behaves and all other factors (weather, range safety, other operational constraints) are favourable.
Starship Super Heavy launch and first stage return NOTAM hazard boxes.
Super Heavy first stage trajectory - launch with partial return leading to oceanic ditching.
Starship entry/landing NOTAM hazard boxes.
Starship re-entry and powered soft oceanic landing trajectory about 90 minutes after launch.
e2a: Targeting a sub-orbital trajectory that is approximately 50x500km at just under 26.4° inclination (doesn't quite complete one orbit).

Last edited:
It looks like the first SpaceX Starship orbital test flight could be on - they've just filed NOTAMs for launch and recovery for attempts covering 6-12 April, 1355-1810BST each day. These might just be full test dress rehearsals as a shakedown for a date later in the month (Musk has previously hinted at 20 April as a target date), but could possibly include an option to switch to a live launch if everything behaves and all other factors (weather, range safety, other operational constraints) are favourable.
This will, as they say, be FUCKING HYPE

In the meantime, a pretty nifty CGI animation of a Starship orbital flight test - here a LEO mission profile with Starlink deploy:

Back
Top Bottom