Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sound Engineering Declared Grumpiest Profession In The World

To ALL who are really contributing to this tread - thanks a load - it's fascinating - 2 distinct PoV's
From me too. I have nothing to contribute, save for the couple of knob-twiddlers* I know seem like decent chaps who do their best to make the acts sound as good as possible, but it's really interesting to listen in on people who know more about it.

*don't want to get in trouble for giving them the wrong title... ;)

The one thing that is constant if you're working as a sound man within earshot of the crowd: there's always at least one person who thinks they know better - and they'll tell invariably you so.

The one thing that is constant if you're working as a sound man within earshot of the crowd: there's always at least one person who thinks they know better - and they'll tell invariably you so.
thats cos teh bass isnt loud enough :thumbs:

Why not have something good though?
I imagine that, once you've put together a reasonable collection of tracks that exercise the PA nicely, you probably don't want to go to the trouble of continuing to seek out "good" tracks that do the same thing.

Anyway, I reckon that, if I were a sound engineer, I'd deliberately look for annoying tracks so as to make everyone else in the building as grumpy as me.

Hmm, I wonder if that crazy frog track would be any good...? ;)

Whats that 80s UK dub 12 you've got ringo that you said you used to test the set with - its got a clean 80s production - possibly not produced by the usual UK suspects. I heard you play it at Castle once and asked you about it then...

could you use an old electric cable to wire up speakers for an arena?
As long as it was 2.5mm cross section and had the right connectors on the ends (usually NL4 or EP5) then in theory yeah. The reality is that decent tour grade cable is designed to be easy to handle, be hard wearing, coil well etc so costs a lot more. But audio wise, yeah there would be no difference.

thats cos teh bass isnt loud enough :thumbs:
I usually make a point of saying hello to the soundperson when I go to smaller gigs and thanking them if they've done a good job because I know how thankless it is.

I've only ever once gone over to suggest that they change the sound, and that's when a band called Let's Wrestle were playing a local bar. The bass player had his amp so high you literally could barely hear anything else and it was horrible. Turned out the soundman was too shy to ask him to turn it down, so I did it for him, and a decent sound followed.

You've got to be quite bossy with bands in smaller venues because one egotistic volume monster can destroy the show - and clear the floor.

could you use an old electric cable to wire up speakers for an arena?
Probably if you knew the current carrying capacity and resistance of said cable.I'd go for the vastly over engineered option and use welding cables some of which are rated at ten thousand amps and have no voltage drop (of any significant value) over really long distances.But then I know fuck all about audio cables but a reasonable amount about high current high voltage cables.

I usually make a point of saying hello to the soundperson when I go to smaller gigs and thanking them if they've done a good job because I know how thankless it is.

I've only ever once gone over to suggest that they change the sound, and that's when a band called Let's Wrestle were playing a local bar. The bass player had his amp so high you literally could barely hear anything else and it was horrible. Turned out the soundman was too shy to ask him to turn it down, so I did it for him, and a decent sound followed.

You've got to be quite bossy with bands in smaller venues because one egotistic volume monster can destroy the show - and clear the floor.
actually with live bands I find piano players get the lowest level of sound - so much action going on with the keys and so often completely inaudible

Probably if you knew the current carrying capacity and resistance of said cable.I'd go for the vastly over engineered option and use welding cables some of which are rated at ten thousand amps and have no voltage drop (of any significant value) over really long distances.But then I know fuck all about audio cables but a reasonable amount about high current high voltage cables.
The main problem with stuff like cables is that they don't spend all that much of their life conducting electricity - mostly they're being rolled out/up, humped to and from some kind of storage, and being stored. You could use 25mm square copper busbars for the ultimate in electrical transmission, but they'd be a complete PITA to rig, derig and store.

I guess there's always some measure of compromise in the real world...

It's a trade off. Thicker cables would be better for certain things. But they are heavy. So almost impossible to handle, plus all that extra weight = higher trucking costs.

The big ones are at the generators. Trying to carry 25 meters of 125A three phase cable is a right bastard :D

The main problem with stuff like cables is that they don't spend all that much of their life conducting electricity - mostly they're being rolled out/up, humped to and from some kind of storage, and being stored. You could use 25mm square copper busbars for the ultimate in electrical transmission, but they'd be a complete PITA to rig, derig and store.

I guess there's always some measure of compromise in the real world...
It's a trade off. Thicker cables would be better for certain things. But they are heavy. So almost impossible to handle, plus all that extra weight = higher trucking costs.

The big ones are at the generators. Trying to carry 25 meters of 125A three phase cable is a right bastard :D

Yes I was joking,as I said I know fuck all about audio cable but do know a drum of welding cable needs a forklift to move it.

First step is usually a tone sweep that you analyse with something like Smaart to ensure the phase relationship between subs and tops. Then pink noise to get towards a flat response. Then music to check :)

And welcome to the Shipping Forecast - it's English, I understand each individual word but I haven't got a fucking clue what they mean when they're put together like this - I LOVE THIS THREAD

headexploding.jpg

At one gig I was getting scowls from the audience because of all the feedback, and I kept trying to indicate by way of gestures and eye-rolls that it was the guitarist's fault for turning his amp up too high, and that I could kill his channel on the desk altogether and it wouldn't matter because all the feedback was coming straight from the fucking guitar amp. I can only assume that the guitarist himself couldn't hear the feedback because years of playing at full blast in small rooms had completely killed his hearing. There was certainly nothing in his playing which indicated to me that he possessed functioning ears. He also didn't hear me when I told him to turn his amp down.

Back
Top Bottom