Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sound Engineering Declared Grumpiest Profession In The World

At one gig I was getting scowls from the audience because of all the feedback, and I kept trying to indicate by way of gestures and eye-rolls that it was the guitarist's fault for turning his amp up too high, and that I could kill his channel on the desk altogether and it wouldn't matter because all the feedback was coming straight from the fucking guitar amp. I can only assume that the guitarist himself couldn't hear the feedback because years of playing at full blast in small rooms had completely killed his hearing. There was certainly nothing in his playing which indicated to me that he possessed functioning ears. He also didn't hear me when I told him to turn his amp down.
When faced with a feedbacking fuckwit and a scowling crowd, I've been reduced to articulating my frustration with dramatic and flamboyant arm movements that indicate, "LOOK! The channel is set at zero! NOT MY FAULT!"

Whats that 80s UK dub 12 you've got ringo that you said you used to test the set with - its got a clean 80s production - possibly not produced by the usual UK suspects. I heard you play it at Castle once and asked you about it then...

Colourbox 12" on 4AD, can't remember if I played the vocal (Baby I Love You So) or more likely the the version (Looks Like We're Shy One Horse Shoot Out).

Vocal an update of Jacob Miller's Baby I Love You So for Augustus Pablo, the most famous dub of which was King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown.

Hmmm, I wonder how much it would cost to "audiophile" a stage :D

Let's assume an average sized band with 32 inputs. So we need 32 XLR cables, average length 5m each. I reckon we need to use these at £2858/m. So that's £457,280 worth of XLR cables.

It'll sound AMAZING.

Now we can all really learn something:

Perhaps the one of the strongest things the Tellurium Q cables have in their favour is their consistency, both vertically and horizontally. By that, I mean that the cables have a distinct and common sound, whether S/PDIF or USB, and they improve across the range in several important aspects, including inner detail retreival, dynamics, and solidity of instruments in the soundstage.

That rich, dark chocolate presentation gets richer and darker as you go up the lines too. It’s a consistency that is rare, and a sure sign the company behind the product is not simply ‘in it for the money’.
Tellurium Q cables. Price: £300-660, per meter.

We need a $269 stick.

Attaching a stick to very highly shielded cables like the coaxial Crystal Cable with its Kapton and Peek layers or the Nanotec interconnect with its robust copper foil should rationally allow for no such effect at least not of the sort we encountered now. Burke’s voice is that of a man of grand stature albeit with a slightly nasal top. Or so it was before the universal sticks entered the scene.
Attaching a stick to very highly shielded cables like the coaxial Crystal Cable with its Kapton and Peek layers or the Nanotec interconnect with its robust copper foil should rationally allow for no such effect at least not of the sort we encountered now. Burke’s voice is that of a man of grand stature albeit with a slightly nasal top. Or so it was before the universal sticks entered the scene.
http://wathifi.com/

Wow! Must save up for this:

shakti-hallograph-02.jpg

The Shakti Hallograph system is the result of over 10 years research into speaker/room interaction and room acoustics. The Hallograph consists of two triangular shaped arrays atop wooden stands. They are placed behind each speaker near the corners of the back wall. The array is engineered with proprietary technology (patent pending) and made with exotic hardwoods, consisting of staggered activated panels that are mounted on an elegant base that beautifully blends into any style room environment.
http://www.tweekgeek.com/shakti-hallograph/

Remember: This is more than just a triangular shaped acoustic diffuser. Much more.

Now we're hitting the serious shit for proper sound aficionados.

shaktiStone__44866.1423780262.1280.1280.jpg

As good as today’s components are they all self generate EMI, which degrades signal transfer functions. No amount of power conditioning can eliminate this self generated EMI. Through an energy conversion process, the Shakti Stone uses an antenna-like circuit to absorb these fields and dissipate them as heat. The end result? A lower noise floor which improves resolutiion.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/shakti-stones/

More. Much more here: http://www.tweekgeek.com/

Back
Top Bottom