Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

lots of people? All I've seen is a lot of people laughing at Pier Morgan, who probably got paid to slag it off.

There does seem to be a lot going on tbh. Not just the sausage roll nonsense. Because of veganuary, I'm getting a lot of recipe suggestions, and things like vegan box deliveries etc. on my fb feed. I've only seen the comments section of one of these posts that hasn't contained comments from ranty meat eaters, some of them quite abusive.

One of my friends has a vegan sticker on her car (just says 'vegan' nothing particularly inflammatory). Today she was parked in an underground carpark and came back to find 'cunt' written in the dirt underneath it!

As a fan of non-meat meat substitute products, I approve of this. I struggle to get Quorn in our local Tesco metro, let alone any of the range of meat substitute products like jack fruit, soy burgers, etc. without either going to an expensive health food store, or a large supermarket.

When I'm on my way to work there are two options, McDonalds and Greggs. And to be honest their non-meat products kind of suck. It's either a hash brown, a crap dry beanburger thing, or greggs cheese and onion pastry. If I'm ever going to go proper veggie, I need more things like this.

lots of people? All I've seen is a lot of people laughing at Pier Morgan, who probably got paid to slag it off.
When I say lots, I mean I have seen about four or five people being quite angry about it. To be fair, of my Facebook 'friends' these are generally the brexiters or usual suspects who come out to moan about liberal snowflakes. I like to keep them around so that I'm not living in my fake liberal punk utopia.

I miss the cheap veggie cafe that briefly existed in Leeds right next to my work about 15 years ago and sold veggie pasties that basically tasted like genuine Cornish pasties but with some kind of meat substitute replacing the meat. Served with chips and beans too. So much better than cheese and onion standard. They were closed one week to do a stall at Glastonbury and never reopened (and not the only business I know to have done this). Still missing them.

I am a fan in general of all things Greggs. Reasonably priced and a better spread of options compared to coffee shops and other lunch places.
Looking forward to trying the new sausage roll

yep-far better value than the pret and eat outlets- and their coffee is not bad either. One of the greggs dynasty got banged up for a career of predatory noncing last year. not that this is relevant to the vegan roll.

Even Berlin offers vegan wurst at the wurst stands these days

I'm seeing lots of people on Facebook and Twitter getting really angry about this. Lots of unbritishness, and we should be a proud nation of meat eaters. It just doesn't make sense. I can't get my head around someone not eating meat annoying someone else.
They'll find something else to be the focus of their rage and existential angst soon enough...

My daughter bought several of these yesterday and we all had them for our dinner. Although my son-almostin-law ate his on the way home.

The 6 year old grandson liked it. So did all the adults. The two year old didn’t like it, but she’s a two year old.

It reminded me of the veggie sausage rolls I used to get at Victoria station from one of those pasty places.

Although they were a bit pale. The woman in the shop said that’s because they couldn’t use the egg wash on the pastry.

Last edited:
Me and my two daughters tried them today. Very nice warm not so good when cool. Taste a fair bit like the meat ones but a lot less greasy. No 4 for 3 deal like with the meat ones though. Are they only for January?

An old housemate from Bury used to have ‘pie butties’ and was mercilessly teased for it.
I've actually vaguely heard of that, but nice to have it confirmed that people really do it. You'd have a hard time convincing me that pastry and bread are not an either/or, morally speaking. But at least a pie is the right shape for it. Plus, you can top a pie, whereas it seems to make sense that the shell of a pasty is its logical outer limit. Wrapping it in anything else edible just seems way too decadent.

Mind you, I'm now seriously considering a pitch to Preston Council. They must feel a bit outdone, so I reckon there's a good chance I can get a development grant for sausage roll on toast.

Desperate Brits travel from town to town to get their hands on Greggs' new vegan sausage roll after the controversial pastry SELLS OUT in dozens of stores (and one woman says her son was left in tears)

None of Barrow's three branches of Greggs are selling them, and our two McDonalds will not be stocking the newfangled vegan liberalMcFairycake Mexican immigrant wrap, presumably because we're manly shipyard men :thumbs:

As has been said, the Pound Bakery has been making these for years, though we don't have one of those, for whatever reason :mad:

Three branches!? You'll be getting a post office next.
I've got five all about half a miles distance from my house. Now that my daughter and I out and about more together, it's become a regular stop for a snack stop. Before that I hadn't been in over ten years, and even then maybe only once or twice in my life.
I can only manage one steak slice before I'm fully larded up though.
Slowly returning to vegetarianism though now I have retaken over all home cooking duties. We will see what young suplex thinks of the vegan sausage roll later today.

Back
Top Bottom