Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snacks from your youth that the PC Health and Safety Clean Eating Brigade now stamp down on

My nan use to fry bread in the lard bacon had been cooked in and sprinkle sugar on it....It was lovely :oops:
That sentence is wrong on so many levels :D

As a treat she'd bring pork scratchings back from the pub, mmm gnawing away on salted fried pig skin watching the Hammer horror double bill on BBC2, highlight of my week :D...I loved going to my nans!

I think oxo cubes would make me gag.... surely they are too salty to digest without retching.

white bread, thickly sliced, toasted to cancer-related shades of burntness and spread thickly with the dripping+jelly from a beef or lamb roast. Food of the gods and good value, too, because you can still taste it when licking the congealed fat off the inner surfaces of your teeth several hours later. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Chocolate yoghurt - not seen that in going on forty years.

Viscount biscuits - only ever had them at my gran's.

Snacks was generally Breville sandwich toaster inventions until it got fucked by all the caramelised sweet things and attempts to 'clean' with a knife.

I don't think the OP banana/cream/sugar thing is too unhealthy in small doses.

My personal favourite was spreading loads of butter and honey (or, Golden Syrup) on a couple of slices and toasting under the grill until it started going crispy. Or, just butter with a generous sprinkling of soft brown sugar. Brown sugar sandwiches untoasted if feeling lazy.

Think they were called candy or chocolate sticks when i was a kid - but the candy ones still had a red tip to look like a lit cigarette, and they were still in a box - so we all new they were cigarettes but not quite as blatent as those boxes.

I definitely remember the candy cigarettes having an end with a red tip as though they were lit. Thats the one. you're right the box was quite low key.

I used to love milk jelly :D. My mum had a really creepy rabbit jelly mould.

We had a rabbit jelly mould too, I loved it. Orange jelly rabbit on a bed of lime jelly grass :)

I can't stand jelly now, but maybe I would like it if it was rabbit-shaped.

Biscuits. All the biscuits. Occasionally a sugar mouse or pick and mix, sweets AKA swizzers according to my dad. Jam sandwiches.

Last edited:
A banana sliced down the middle, loaded up with chocolate chips and marshallows then microwaved to c. 400 degrees.

I still like deep fried bread, with a deep fried egg on it. Nowadays I prefer either whole grain mustard or soy sauce on it.

Back
Top Bottom