Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Smart TV.

xsunnysuex

Life is a horizontal fall.
Does this come under tech??
I'm probably going to sound really stupid now.
I want to upgrade my old bog standard Samsung TV to a new smart TV. How do I connect my Freeview recorder? Do I need an aerial?
I have absolutely no idea where to start. (Be kind 🫣🤣🤣)

You don't need an aerial or free view box as the tv connects via WiFi.

I just plugged mine in and set it to my WiFi, like you would do your phone. Its kind of like a giant mobile phone cus you can watch you tube and get on the Internet.

Can you get VPNs for them? A mate has just discovered the miracle of a cracked firestick and is watching loads of stuff but doesn't seem to realize that it's illegal.

You don't need an aerial or free view box as the tv connects via WiFi.

I just plugged mine in and set it to my WiFi, like you would do your phone. Its kind of like a giant mobile phone cus you can watch you tube and get on the Internet.
Thanks. It's the recorder box I need to connect.

You will be able to plug your Freeview recorder into your new TV using the existing lead with a round connection on the end. The smart TV will still have a bog standard TV socket on the back.

Can you get VPNs for them? A mate has just discovered the miracle of a cracked firestick and is watching loads of stuff but doesn't seem to realize that it's illegal.
Depends on the nature of the illegality.

To answer your question - yes, you can get VPNs on to (at least some) smart TVs, and you can also sideload 3rd party stuff onto Firestick if you're talking about filestreaming illegality.

But if the illegality you're referring to is watching TV without a licence, then the likelihood of the TV licensing bastards going to the lengths of checking your ISP's logs are vanishingly minimal - if it's this that concerns your mate, then he probably needs to skill up on how to deal with the letters and (possible) enforcement visits, which will be a much better return on his investment of time and effort.

Depends on the nature of the illegality.

To answer your question - yes, you can get VPNs on to (at least some) smart TVs, and you can also sideload 3rd party stuff onto Firestick if you're talking about filestreaming illegality.

But if the illegality you're referring to is watching TV without a licence, then the likelihood of the TV licensing bastards going to the lengths of checking your ISP's logs are vanishingly minimal - if it's this that concerns your mate, then he probably needs to skill up on how to deal with the letters and (possible) enforcement visits, which will be a much better return on his investment of time and effort.
No I think he's got a licence, he's watching stuff like sports on Sky etc etc etc, which I could see being enforced sometime soon.

Will I have to buy the cable with the round end? What would I look for? Thank you.

Yes
You should have one already connecting the Freeview recorder to the current TV looks like this :-

Alternatively you might currently have your Freeview recorder plugged into the TV with an HDMI cable which looks like this :-

If so you can use that equally as well since your Smart TV will most likely have several HDMI ports (mine has four) If your new Smart TV is a samsung use port HDMI 2 rather than HDMI 1
HDMI 1 on Samsung TV's is meant for things like soundbars since the TV can then turn them on remotely.
Your Freeview box will still work plugged into HDMI 1 but you will find that if turn the TV off when it is still set to HDMI 1 as input it will automatically turn your Freeview box back on which may or may not get annoying.

No I think he's got a licence, he's watching stuff like sports on Sky etc etc etc, which I could see being enforced sometime soon.
Ah, fair enough. I don't have a licence, but then neither do I watch live TV. Which doesn't stop the twunts spamming me with threatening letters. It pays to be careful - I am pretty inspection-proof, but it's not hard to misstep and find them going full Stasi on you.

You should have one already connecting the Freeview recorder to the current TV looks like this :-

Alternatively you might currently have your Freeview recorder plugged into the TV with an HDMI cable which looks like this :-

If so you can use that equally as well since your Smart TV will most likely have several HDMI ports (mine has four) If your new Smart TV is a samsung use port HDMI 2 rather than HDMI 1
HDMI 1 on Samsung TV's is meant for things like soundbars since the TV can then turn them on remotely.
Your Freeview box will still work plugged into HDMI 1 but you will find that if turn the TV off when it is still set to HDMI 1 as input it will automatically turn your Freeview box back on which may or may not get annoying.
Thank you.

The bad news is that you're probably looking at a new recorder. The good news is that with streaming TV, the need for a recorder is vastly reduced, as much more stuff is available on demand now.

This is probably the best advice. With all the streaming services, recording TV seems a bit archaic.

This is probably the best advice. With all the streaming services, recording TV seems a bit archaic.
We have a Freeview HDD recorder/Blu-Ray player and still use it to record TV. Despite her constant vows to stop watching it, Mrs Q has been unable to wean herself off Coronation St and can sometimes run up a fair backlog which she then binges.

Does this come under tech??
I'm probably going to sound really stupid now.
I want to upgrade my old bog standard Samsung TV to a new smart TV. How do I connect my Freeview recorder? Do I need an aerial?
I have absolutely no idea where to start. (Be kind 🫣🤣🤣)

Doing this for m parents just now. You probably don’t really need the freebies box. But, if you want it ( my mum loves old detective stuff some of which is only on Alibi). Looks like your recorder is just SCART, you can buy an adapter, I’ve not tried it yet but for £12 it’s probably worth a go before you buy a new recorder.

The picture below shows the adapter the small end is HDMI and the large end SCART.

IMG_1590.jpeg

BTW I have a free view recorder ( HDMI) connected. I use it 95% of the time for BBC news as I player is rubbish for both the National and local bulletins. 4% of the time for live rugby. As nothing worse than your internet droping out at a critical point. Plus every now and again I stick a film or David Attenborough thing on it so I’ve got stuff to watch if the internet is down for the evening (about three times since I’ve had it))…

The main VPN providers have VPN apps for Smart TVs and for Firesticks. Cracked Firesticks are simply Firesticks where you allow unknown apps on the settings and load them. Most people who use Firesticks with sideloaded apps don't use VPNs. If the smart TV operating system is Google Android you can sideload apps straight on to the TV and don't need a Firestick. Without wanting to open up a hornets nest its normally providers of the apps or IPTV that are liable for prosecution not somebody who has watched Barbie before it was released at the cinema

Back
Top Bottom