Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Smart meters for energy

nPower haven't bothered me about deadly killer meters since November, but I just noticed there was an option to text STOP to shut them up. :thumbs:

I have'nt read the full thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

I do a little work in the utilities sector and the general word is..wait as long as possible, these are first generation meters still going into homes..wait for them to iron out any unforseen issues and go for the second generation.
I'll be getting my door through before i have mine done.

Why are they still issuing first generation ones. It's been known for ages these are basically useless when you want to switch.

The same with radios, why are old AM/FM radios still on sale? Or, even plain DAB/FM radios?

The future is DAB+, so FM & DAB radios will be totally useless in around 5 years.

Long Wave.

You try getting an FM or DAB signal in the middle of somewhere remote.

In Europe AM, both LW & MW, are being switched off.

My main point is, why the hell have sales of plain DAB and/or DAB/FM radios not been banned, when DAB+ is where things are going, hence why DAB+ or DAB+/FM radios are the only ones with the 'digital tick' mark, yet well over 50%, around 80% in my local Tesco, being sold don't have the 'digital tick' mark. :facepalm:

Why are they still issuing first generation ones. It's been known for ages these are basically useless when you want to switch.
That isn't quite the case. There's a list on this page of Smets1 meters which are going to be migrated to the Smets2 system. How much that has started actually happening I'm not sure, but it does say they stopped rolling out new Smets1 meters last December.

So how does it work. I mean do they have to be physically installed in your house by an engineer? What happens when I move house?

upload_2019-2-4_16-51-15.png

The aspect of this I find most interesting is that realtime data will be available, rather than granulated history- readings once or twice per hour at most. That's necessary for the smart grid of the future, but it's the first time I've seen it seen it suggested as practical reality.

Smart Tariffs are starting to be rolled out, charging a different price in half-hour chunks, so that consumers can take advantage of cheap periods for eg washing machines. Smart appliances (or perhaps smart sockets and fairly stupid appliances) will, at some point in the future, be able to negotiate with the grid to maximise overall efficiency. As we collectively move towards electric vehicles, with huge batteries, we'll all be buying and selling electricity, using the national collection of batteries to cover eg all the kettles during the cup final half time. That's a way down the line, but it's not possible if all that meters can do is report what happened in half hour chunks. Realtime matters for that, just as it matters for reporting the activities of people with dementia.

Fecking nPower.
I texted "NO" to cancel the thread of smart meter texts and they cynically slip it into a text and an email related to meter readings.
I was about to send a nasty comment to them - threatening to switch suppliers, but instead I found the general "marketing preferences" bit on their website and will reserve tearing them off a strip for escalation if they continue to take the urine.

They actually LIED about my last bill being estimated...

I'm with good energy and have actually asked for one. I want a monthly accurate bill without fucking around with meter readings. I can't actually see any downsides.

They are taking ages over it though as will be doing the second gen ones.

From now on I think I will deliberately not read my meter - since I can't earn interest on any credit and it keeps the meter readers in work.

What I mean is there is no significant interest to be earned in any bank.
Perhaps I'll start sending them crazy readings :D

What I have had a bonkers number of is "gas meter safety inspections" - and loads of unpleasant threats of court action when I didn't respond quickly enough.
Next time they visit, they'll see that I have now cut off the lead pipe on my side of the meter and peened the end over.

Now you mention that. Haven’t had one of those for at least 4 years now either. Before last time I changed supplier it had literally just been done months before. They wanted to do it. Said it had been done. And haven’t heard a dickie since. Despite changing supplier again during that time.

Just had an advertising text from Lowri Beck - the bastards who sent me threatening letters about meter inspections - currently trying to find how to opt out ...

Back
Top Bottom