Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Smart meters for energy

Yup it's all a big waste of everyone's time. Basically you choose between remembering to waste a few hours of your life switching each year, and getting charged over the odds for not doing so.
Takes me 10 minutes a year at the end of March using Uswitch.

It’s a waste of the customers’ time, but it creates jobs for people. Creates value for some shareholders (not npower’s mind you).

ETA: not supporting any part of the industry btw

Last edited:
You know that setting up up a Supply company isn't just a case of registering a domain name and printing some letter headed paper. You do realise that, don't you?
The retailers don’t supply anything, they just buy a commodity that’s already flowing and bill it. The cheaper they can serve their customers the more money they make. That’s pretty much it.

ETA: depends on whether they own generation, which some of them do obviously. Was referring to the ‘anybody can set up an energy company’ bit.

Npower are fucked

npower (it's npower, not Npower or nPower or NPower) has been fucked for many years - pretty much ever since they were acquired by the German utility RWE in fact. The recently cancelled merger of their Retail division with the Retail division of SSE was their last opportunity to turn the business around. In my humble opinion, of course.

The retailers don’t supply anything, they just buy a commodity that’s already flowing and bill it. The cheaper they can serve their customers the more money they make. That’s pretty much it.

Retailers are called Supply companies. As opposed to a Generation or Distribution companies.

It was all set up during the 1997 deregulation of the energy market in the UK.

Retailers are called Supply companies. As opposed to a Generation or Distribution companies.

It was all set up during the 1997 deregulation of the energy market in the UK.
My point stands nonetheless.

They can disconnect, therefore can be called suppliers. But the company you interact with simply bills you. Unless they own generation, but that’s how those arms make their money.

My point stands nonetheless.

Well, it doesn't really stand.

The cheaper they can serve their customers the more money they make. That’s pretty much it.

a. that's a generalisation which can be applied to *any* business

b. "that's pretty much it" completely overlooks their trading/hedging activities which account for a significant part of their profit/loss. And when I say "significant" it can represent *all* a Supply company's profit.

ETA: depends on whether they own generation, which some of them do obviously. Was referring to the ‘anybody can set up an energy company’ bit.

Unless something's changed I do not believe that Supply companies can own generating assets. Parent companies, however (e.g. EoN, RWE, EDF, etc.) can own Supply and Generating businesses.

b. "that's pretty much it" completely overlooks their trading/hedging activities which account for a significant part of their profit/loss. And when I say "significant" it can represent *all* a Supply company's profit.

Unless something's changed I do not believe that Supply companies can own generating assets. Parent companies, however (e.g. EoN, RWE, EDF, etc.) can own Supply and Generating businesses.
That’s pretty much what I was saying. Maybe I didn’t make it clear. But we’re both right.

That’s pretty much what I was saying. Maybe I didn’t make it clear. But we’re both right.

OK, we may well both be right.

However the Supply industry is ludicrously complex which is the real reason most Supply companies fail IMO.

Generation and Distribution companies are governed by largely by laws of physics and mathematics; Supply companies by the whims of politicians and capitalists.

If you are interested in 'green' tariffs try Bulb.
Bulb ‘s customer service is good. All on line and it works, I just update my meter readings on line. They sell renewable and nuclear ie low carbon electricity- I am happy with the nuke element, others will have to make their own mind up.

I think I might have a code for them so if people sign up we both get £50 off our bill.

Bulb ‘s customer service is good. All on line and it works, I just update my meter readings on line. They sell renewable and nuclear ie low carbon electricity- I am happy with the nuke element, others will have to make their own mind up.

I think I might have a code for them so if people sign up we both get £50 off our bill.
Actually I think I do too.
My code is better than A380's, for anyone interested :mad:

I have a link, I've been with bulb for the best part of 2 years. Once I've moved I'll dig out the link and offer it up here...

I was going to go with bulb, but when I actually put in the numbers tonic could do it cheaper and there is no lock in fee.

Doesn't really leave you in the lurch though does it. Click bait headline.

Money Saving Experts article is more informative to customers.

I would just take screenshots of your bills and balance after each DD to ensure your credit is right, and let ofgem deal with it from there. I've used plenty of small providers and even the shit customer service ones if it comes up cheapest, I use it, them going bust is really of no concern to me other than to switch again once Ofgem have provided a SOLR.

The clean green energy thing though, it comes down the same pipes regardless of who you use, so how can you guarantee what it coming into your household is green fuel?

Economy Energy stops trading

I was watching the Martin Lewis Money Show last night on the telly and he was getting people to switch live, and Bulb came up twice. He said they're actually a medium size supplier so not likely to go bust anytime soon and he recommends them.

Googling the term 5G smart meters reveals there are a lot of wallopers out there who seem to believe the government is poisoning us all using radiation emitted from smart meters or something.

This was one of my favourites, they are feeling ill from the 5G smart meter they have had installed in their home for a while. Even though we do not have 5G in the UK yet.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 15.22.58.png

The clean green energy thing though, it comes down the same pipes regardless of who you use, so how can you guarantee what it coming into your household is green fuel?

It isn't green 'fuel'. It's all the same gas or electricity that comes down the pipes and wires, just generated from different sources. Energy suppliers are audited on how they generate.

The more people that opt for green energy, the greener the UK fuel mix. Supply and demand.

Had an argument about this with someone recently. Discussing how to minimise the carbon emissions for your own energy use. I was saying that it can make sense to use gas rather than electricity depending on the country-wide electricity mix. They were saying that if they are signed up to a 'green' tariff that uses zero fossil fuel generation then they should compare the carbon emissions on that basis (which automatically leads to deciding to use electricity instead of gas). In my view if you switch to a 'green tariff' you can maybe claim some responsibility for reducing the harm of your own energy use - but it shouldn't have any impact on deciding whether to use electricity vs gas. That decision should be made on the basis of the actual energy mix that goes into your supply.

It all gets a bit complicated now that we purchase electricity from continental Europe of course... so it's not as straightforward as just the UK National Grid generation mix.

Googling the term 5G smart meters reveals there are a lot of wallopers out there who seem to believe the government is poisoning us all using radiation emitted from smart meters or something.

This was one of my favourites, they are feeling ill from the 5G smart meter they have had installed in their home for a while. Even though we do not have 5G in the UK yet.

View attachment 158169

Fucking idiots. Where the hell do these serial bed-wetting types get such absurdly ignorant notions from?

The frequencies used by smart metres, Wi-Fi etc are NON-IONISING. That means that the individual photons do not have the energy required to break chemical bonds, which is what makes gamma rays, X-rays and UV light so harmful. The only way for non-ionising radiation to damage organisms is through sheer power, i.e. dumping enough of it to heat things up. Since the maximum legal transmission power of Wi-Fi equipment is 4 watts, or about half the power of a human turning a hand crank, I don't think anyone has any good reason to be concerned about thermal effects, which would be distinctly noticeable in any case.

The real issue with smart metres is not radiation, but privacy. These things are yet another "smart" device that hoovers up all kinds of data and ships it off to who-the-Hell-knows to do God-knows-what in order to make a profit.

Hence why if my supplier offers a smart metre, I'll be telling them to fuck off.

Back
Top Bottom