Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations - 2024

Because the first half wasn't very good I went for a take-away. While there I started to watch a bit of the 2nd half. I really should have stayed at home to watch it all.

ah did not mean it that way..

meant i always felt that with the lack of sexton in the irish team

a big game clash with france as a starter had a great chance of leading to a red card

as one team would be trying to make a statement win

should of place a bet for a red card in a opening six nations game would of gotten good odds

Teams are being named for the weekends matches.

Great stack of games for Saturday.

Scotland v France @ 1415. This is being talked up by the media as a Scotland win as France are potentially gone cold with no Dupont (who had an amazing game for Toulouse last week - at Fly half - apparently). Just a couple of changes for each team, largely injury related for Scotland. France have picked a speedy winger who has looked good when I’ve seen him play, and the impressive Cameron Woki is at lock with Willemse suspended.

You would think that Scotland’s fairly settled team would win, but I expect a big French fightback. After that second half in Cardiff both teams have something to prove.

England v Wales @ 1645. England have an unchanged team, the first time since 2019 World Cup apparently. I think Borthwick is good for giving the new caps another go. I hope the new players on the bench get a bit longer this week. I didn’t see much of the England game last week but I understand that their new defensive system is rather like Exeter’s (and also the South African one as their old defence coach is Englands), with an aggressive blitz, that can be countered if the ball gets out wide quickly (as happened a few times v Italy).

Wales have made 7 changes which sounds like a lot but 3 are for injuries, 2 are for players who would usually start but weren’t fully fit last week, so really it’s a change at scrum half and one at hooker. George North returns at 13, and eyes will be on Ioan Lloyd at 10 to conjure the spirit of Barry John. Gatland backing the youth, North has 25% of the starting teams caps.

Stat of the day is that Wales have never led at half time at Twickenham in the 6 nations, and have scored 18 tries at HQ v England in 6 nations games, but only 1 in the first half.

Two intriguing games. I hope both are close contests, though if Wales have a bad first half again it could get ugly. I reckon a close win for Scotland by the margin of a kick, but can’t realistically see anything but a fairly comfortable home win for England, given Wales’s recent record at Twickenham.

Of course making predictions is part of the fun, and while I did speculate that 3 away wins were possible last weekend (and as it turned out was right), 3 home wins this weekend - with Ireland playing Italy in Dublin on Sunday - would be far less of a surprise.

Last edited:
I’m gonna lsay I think France will pump Scotland (that Netflix shows that Finn Russell is just as in love with self as you thought he would be, which backs the assertion they are not as good as they think they are) as all those talk from the camp is about putting right what went wrong so we can expect a less passive ruck from France.

Can’t call England wales both have something to prove but fuck it I predict England with a narrow win.

We should see off Italy but if I could see more of Mellencello play, I’ll be happy. I think he’s the best centre in the comp.

Edited to add: written after a load of night nurse to get over a cold.

Last edited:
Agree, every time Scotland get talked up after a win, they then have to deal with being favourites and fold, England games of late excepted

I watched a few episodes of the Netflix doc last night. The episodes on the French team are the best. Particularly liked the profile of Gael Fickou, have you seen it fucthest8 ?

I'm going France and Wales to win today. France got outplayed by a better team but they're not shit. And they'll have a point to prove now. I'm less sure about the second game. England were meh last week. Wales dug deep and that can go either way the next game. We'll either see confidence or exhaustion imo.

Wales still a team in big transition. One good half does not make a team, especially after one appalling bad half. England will win fairly comfortably. Having said that I was backing France soooooo....

Wales still a team in big transition. One good half does not make a team, especially after one appalling bad half. England will win fairly comfortably. Having said that I was backing France soooooo....
Tend to agree..(apart from the France bit).plus playing at millennium gave them an extra man....Twickenham this week....gel and learn no expectations beyond that

Back
Top Bottom