Maybe it sounds mean
But I really don't think so
You asked for the truth, and I told you

Through their own words
They will be exposed
They've got a severe case of the emperor's new clothes

:D

'This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey.'

that's a remarkably stupid thing to say.

go on, make the case for it being a form of mental illness.
I guess I see things differently. Believing in an imaginary father figure in the sky and whatever other supernatural forces that are supposed to exist (but don't) is atleast similar to a mental illness in my view. Why is that not the case?

And even if I didn't suspect that it was a mental illness, the statement that it can be considered one is not inaccurate because there are people who consider it to be so.

I guess I see things differently. Believing in an imaginary father figure in the sky and whatever other supernatural forces that are supposed to exist (but don't) is atleast similar to a mental illness in my view. Why is that not the case?
perhaps you could expand on the 'mental illness in your view' bit.

according to your brief post everyone who has not understood scientific forces and believed them to be supernatural, is mentally ill. that's rather a sweeping statement.

Why? Because it's not included in a manual about mental health? Explain please.
Given the broad sweep of history and the diversity of societies and the place of religion therein no explanation should be necessary to anyone who gives the question even cursory consideration.

And even if I didn't suspect that it was a mental illness, the statement that it can be considered one is not inaccurate because there are people who consider it to be so.
yeh. so you say. but you're reluctant to share with us WHY some people consider it so and what reasons there might be to give their opinion any weight.

''Mentally Ill'' here would also include anyone who has taken their vast ignorance about the cosmos and filled it with imaginary creatures instead of nothing at all.Which IMO is not an unreasonable thing to do - in fact 9/10 our culture(s) come(s) from doing exactly that, so...

Belief isn't the issue. Behaviour is the issue.

/cliches

make the case for it being a form of mental illness, not post up some ill-considered blather

make the case for it being a form of mental illness, not post up some ill-considered blather

An inability to sit with uncertainty.
Lacking capacity for critical thinking
Belief in something not proven or tangible
Magic thinking
Blind faith
Murder and war in the name of 'god'
Delusional even....

I think if someone holds these ideas about something other than religion it is usually deemed a mental illness. People do need faith, not denying that, but I do think it's better to be based in fact. Faith that the sun will come up again tomorrow, that summer follows spring, that love exsists, that babies are born....

An inability to sit with uncertainty.
Lacking capacity for critical thinking
Belief in something not proven or tangible
Magic thinking
Blind faith
Murder and war in the name of 'god'
Delusional even....

I think if someone holds these beliefs about something other than religion it is usually deemed a mental illness. People do need faith, not denying that, but I do think it's better to be based in fact. Faith that the sun will come up again tomorrow, that summer follows spring, that love exsists, that babies are born....
yeh right. perhaps if you're thinking of certain religions, these may be true. but lacking capacity for critical thinking? like newton, you mean, or aquinas? belief in something not proven or tangible? like so many scientists perhaps?

if people are born and brought up in a religious society where you're told, this is the way things are - does that make them mentally ill? yet what you here claim is a mental illness cannot be cured by medicine, not even addressed by it, doctors know of no way to ameliorate it through the wonders of science, yet it can be dealt with by demonstrations of reason. where then is the illness situated? or are you simply thinking how superior and healthier you are?

that's a remarkably stupid thing to say.

go on, make the case for it being a form of mental illness.
'The defining characteristic of mental illness is that someone is isolated in their belief system.' Alan Stone wrote sth very similar to that* (I think in the context of Soviet political psychiatry), and it certainly got me thinking.

What makes religion non-insane is that lots of people believe the same set of batshit ideas, and have believed them for a very long time. If it was only Frank, shouting about it on a street corner in the Atheist Paradise of SomewhereElseville, Frank would bloody obviously be mad.

*I don't have the book to hand, or I'd check. That's close to verbatim tho!

perhaps you could expand on the 'mental illness in your view' bit.

according to your brief post everyone who has not understood scientific forces and believed them to be supernatural, is mentally ill. that's rather a sweeping statement.
I'd say that not being up to date on science and believing so much in a load of supernatural crap that is not actually real are two different things.

'The defining characteristic of mental illness is that someone is isolated in their belief system.' Alan Stone wrote sth very similar to that* (I think in the context of Soviet political psychiatry), and it certainly got me thinking.

What makes religion non-insane is that lots of people believe the same set of batshit ideas, and have believed them for a very long time. If it was only Frank, shouting about it on a street corner in the Atheist Paradise of SomewhereElseville, Frank would bloody obviously be mad.

*I don't have the book to hand, or I'd check. That's close to verbatim tho!
And why is something any less mad just because alot of people believe in it? Religion can be seen as a sort of collective or group madness or insanity surely?

Back
Top Bottom