Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Silliest names in the Olympics

I was watching a britsh sports presenter interviewing Usain Bolt. All of a sudden, the presenter started singing 'Everything's Gonna Be Alright' by Bob Marley, getting Bolt to sing along. I mean, What The Fuck?

It's like a white british person wins something, and the sportscaster goads them into a chorus of "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" :facepalm:

I was watching a britsh sports presenter interviewing Usain Bolt. All of a sudden, the presenter started singing 'Everything's Gonna Be Alright' by Bob Marley, getting Bolt to sing along. I mean, What The Fuck?

It's like a white british person wins something, and the sportscaster goads them into a chorus of "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" :facepalm:

You don't even know the title to the song :facepalm:

Even so: did you catch what I was talking about?

Yes I know what you're trying to get at, but I think most Jamaicans would know Bob Marley and the song. I have no idea who sang I've Got a Lovely Bunch and I wouldn't know the words, so it would be pretty pointless :p

Maybe the presenter was just trying to be down with the yoot and helping him celebrate Jamaican independence ;)

Yes I know what you're trying to get at, but I think most Jamaicans would know Bob Marley and the song. I have no idea who sang I've Got a Lovely Bunch and I wouldn't know the words, so it would be pretty pointless :p

Maybe the presenter was just trying to be down with the yoot and helping him celebrate Jamaican independence ;)

I'm sure lots of people know the song. But what's the point of getting Bolt to sing a song from three decades ago?

Me? I heard it tons when it came out and I bought the albums. Nowadays, maybe as much as I hear the Rolling Stones or Journey when I'm out in public.

Well bearing in mind it was the 50th anniversary of Jamaican independence, I'm surprised you've not heard more

are you saying I'm too thick to hang around with nerds? :mad:

Anyway, here's Katerina Thompson Johnson (or the other way around)

Katarina-Johnson-Thompson-008.jpg

As an aside I was more entertained by her lovely Liverpudlian accent. I don't hear them much.

You do have a point here Johnny IMO. It is cringeworthy at best.

When I was travelling in Jamaica it was painful to watch tourists do this too. :facepalm:

Same as anyone putting on accents or trying to act cool. Presenter probably lives in a nice rich white part of London

Katharina Molitor - German javelin lady. MOLITOR.

On a related note, there's a Dutch footballer called Sjoerd Ars playing for Chinese side Tianjin Teda.

I heard some pundits talking about a British sailing competitor called Bart Simpson.

I've just looked him up and he's actually Andrew Simpson and Bart is his nickname. :(

As others have pointed out, the name I started this thread with is a GB athlete with a fairly common UK set of names - just in a combination that I found amusing. Not in a nasty sneering way, just in a silly giggling way. The same way that you might make fun of a friend's name, if you knew they wouldn't take offence at it.

So it's not about "laughing at foreigners' names" at all.

But even if it was, is that actually such a heinous crime when it's not accompanied by any other subtext?

If my name translated into "flacid willy" in Russian, would there be anything wrong with a Russian giggling at it? I don't think so, and I'd not be upset if they did - as long as it was in a friendly way, not a nasty sneering way.

Back
Top Bottom