Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Signet rings - what are they about then?

I've been thinking of getting one for a while now . Just for nights out , it's never struck me as either posh or pretentious . I think it would look pretty snazzy alongside a packet of Dunhill international , if I could find a reliable supplier of the bloody things .
As body adornment for blokes goes its a lot less naff than most of those tattoos or bits of metal or whatever sticking out of your face . It's tasteful . But not a 20 quid job out of Argos . Don't fancy my skin turning green .

I've been thinking of getting one for a while now . Just for nights out , it's never struck me as either posh or pretentious . I think it would look pretty snazzy alongside a packet of Dunhill international , if I could find a reliable supplier of the bloody things .
As body adornment for blokes goes its a lot less naff than most of those tattoos or bits of metal or whatever sticking out of your face . It's tasteful . But not a 20 quid job out of Argos . Don't fancy my skin turning green .
better than your skin turning orange

Well I had no idea sovereign and signet rings were different things until I read this thread. Every day's a school day etc.)

(I mean in these post sealing wax times.)

My father used to wear a signet ring on his little finger. It was, in effect, his wedding ring. When asked about it, when we were kids, he just said that it was what men did - this was in the days when only women were given wedding rings.

It broke at one point, but he got fixed (eventually) and started wearing it again.

Then he lost it. He is very old, so has memory/cognitive problems, so maybe that is why.

Anyway, since then, he has been wearing my mother's wedding ring on his little finger, which I think is lovely.

I didn't think of it as a posh boy thing, although I suppose my father could be said to be a bit posh. His father was a bank manager.

ETA my parents married in 1955 - I really don't think men were given wedding rings in those days.

Last edited:
Its not a thing over here although some travellers wear them.

I knew someone whose mum acted a bit posh...but like Mrs Bucket. She made her husband and son wear one. The son got his caught in a door and nearly lost his little finger.

Most married men here wear a wedding ring on the wedding finger.
Sometimes its a Claddagh ring.

DSCN2500a_mans_gold_530x@2x.jpg

Posh people? They were always worn by white working class 'white van man' types round my way when I was growing up.
When I was about 12 all the nice, lower middle class, girls wore signet rings.
Some of them were in the Girl Guides, too.

My school had a few boxes of "historical oddities". One day me and some other kids were given a punishment of having to go through these boxes and cataloguing them. We figured out that no one knew what was in the boxes, so picked one item each.

I picked a roman signet ring/seal ring, apparently found in Pompeii.

I lost it at Knebworth - the Led Zeppelin gig in 1979.

I remain really, really pissed off about that.

My school had a few boxes of "historical oddities". One day me and some other kids were given a punishment of having to go through these boxes and cataloguing them. We figured out that no one knew what was in the boxes, so picked one item each.

I picked a roman signet ring/seal ring, apparently found in Pompeii.

I lost it at Knebworth - the Led Zeppelin gig in 1979.

I remain really, really pissed off about that.
I went to that gig. Didn't find your ring though :(

Weren’t they originally used to identify membership of a family or organisation?
And they still are now, except instead of being used to seal documents, they’re to identify who beat you up the night before.

Seen folk from all walks of life with the rings and things. Whatever it did used to signify, it doesn't anymore. On my hands are several rings, feel naked without them.

I could never wear a ring. Would find it unbearable.
Me too plus the health and safety angle. I'll never forget being told about industrial accidents. See also neckties.
Plus jewellery generally. Even my watch is cheap, lightweight understated and with a loose velcro strap.

I've a simple gold signet ring on my little finger. I've had it a long time. I like it but will remove it if I'm in a potentially hazardous situation.

I also have a titanium with black diamond ring which I was given by my wife for an anniversary some years ago.

The only other jewellery I wear is a silver mounted shark's tooth. I found the tooth when I used to swim with sharks. Had it re-mounted in Portugal and have worn it every day, more or less, for 25 years.

I have various watches, these I change according to what I'm doing. I'd no more wear a dress watch to the gym than I'd wear a chronograph to a formal dinner.

I've a simple gold signet ring on my little finger. I've had it a long time. I like it but will remove it if I'm in a potentially hazardous situation.

I also have a titanium with black diamond ring which I was given by my wife for an anniversary some years ago.

The only other jewellery I wear is a silver mounted shark's tooth. I found the tooth when I used to swim with sharks. Had it re-mounted in Portugal and have worn it every day, more or less, for 25 years.

I have various watches, these I change according to what I'm doing. I'd no more wear a dress watch to the gym than I'd wear a chronograph to a formal dinner.
Haven't worn a watch in years. Was given a nice one some time ago, but it gave me a rash for something reason.

I had a wedding ring for my first marriage - titanium and gold - but I never got used to wearing it on my finger and I'd take it off for doing anything like washing up or any physical task, I lost it endlessly, and in the end wore it on a bit of leather cord around my neck. Never got used to wearing it - I liked it, but it was never 'me', I had to think about putting it on, and I'd take it off at the drop of a hat. I think I lost it at my then sister-in-law's place one Christmas, but I don't really know.

I just about manage to wear a watch about half the time now, but it comes off with far greater enthusiasm than it goes on.

My dad has never worn a wedding - or any other type - ring, and I don't think he's ever owned a watch.

I threw my wedding ring into a lake a few years ago, a while after the marriage ended. Most satisfying.

Dont recall any married men of my dads and elder generation wearing a wedding ring.

Back
Top Bottom