Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should I bother with this?

kalidarkone

Bringing YOU round.....
I just got a email from a solicitors, looking to file a claim against a local authority- regarding the subsidence damage done to late ma's house. This is on behalf the insurance company.

I've written back asking what the benefit to me would be, aside from 10% of any settlement which according to them I would be entitled to.

Any thoughts or experience regarding this would be gratefully received.

Seems odd, are they suggesting the local authority were somehow responsible for the subsidence to privately owned property?

I just got a email from a solicitors, looking to file a claim against a local authority- regarding the subsidence damage done to late ma's house. This is on behalf the insurance company.

I've written back asking what the benefit to me would be, aside from 10% of any settlement which according to them I would be entitled to.

Any thoughts or experience regarding this would be gratefully received.
I guess it depends on the size of the claim.

I take this is the insurance on your mother's house? Are you likely to want to make any more claims off them? If you are then you wouldn't want to give them an excuse to be difficult since it's a condition of most policies you co-operate fully with them.
If the above isn't true then the question is it going to cost you anything win or lose?
If not then why not if it costs you nothing win or lose, if they lose you've lost nothing and you might gain some cash.
Bit odd they're claiming the local council is responsible for subsidence. seems like a bit of arm chancing.

Seems odd, are they suggesting the local authority were somehow responsible for the subsidence to privately owned property?
Yes.
There was a pear tree outside the house - now removed. The roots grew under the house reaching for the water source from the broken underground pipe at the back of the house.

I think it's the Insurance company trying to claw their money back. I'm tempted to not comply because they have been so horrendous in this whole shit show.

Yes.
There was a pear tree outside the house - now removed. The roots grew under the house reaching for the water source from the broken underground pipe at the back of the house.

I think it's the Insurance company trying to claw their money back. I'm tempted to not comply because they have been so horrendous in this whole shit show.

OK, that makes sense.

I am now assuming the excess on the policy was 10% for the subsidence claim, hence you would only get 10%, is that correct?

My initial thought would be that it's either going to be free money, or no money - so no loss to you if they crack on.

If the house has been sold on as part of the estate, you could do what you like, but if it hasn't, and you (as far as they are concerned) stiff the ins company, they could cancel your insurance, which can make getting new insurance very difficult.

I'd talk to them, get it in writing that you're not on the hook for the legal costs if it doesn't work out - and as long as that's clear, crack on.

OK, that makes sense.

I am now assuming the excess on the policy was 10% for the subsidence claim, hence you would only get 10%, is that correct?
I have no idea but the excess was £1000.

Here is an excerpt:

Our Charges and Disbursements
In order to recover our charges from the other party we are required by the relevant rules to inform
you of the circumstances in which, in theory, you may be liable to pay costs and disbursements such
as search fees, court fees and experts’ fees, which are likely to be incurred in pursuing the claim.
As we have mentioned and subject to our comments under the heading “Additional Claims” below
your insurers will pay all legal costs of the claim and will be responsible for any liability for costs
which might arise.
If, as the matter progresses, it appears that the executors may have a costs liability then we will
contact you before this happens and explain any potential costs liability to you.
Additional Claims
We may be able to include, at no expense to the executors, Additional Claims for:
(1) the policy excess;
(2) a claim for what is known as “general damages” for any distress or inconvenience that your
late mother may have suffered as a result of the subsidence damage;
(3) subject to their nature and extent, any uninsured losses
You should be aware that any general damages that might be recovered are likely to be small.
We may not be able to deal with an Additional Claim if it is large or complex, or a conflict of interest
between the executors’ claims and that of your Insurers arises, and it may be necessary for the
executors to instruct their own solicitors. If we are able to deal with the uninsured loss claim on the
executors’ behalf, we may ask them to meet the legal costs associated with making that claim but we
can discuss this with you should the situation arise.
Please let us know about any Additional Claims the executors wish to make on behalf of your late
mother’s estate.
Settlement of claims
It is very common in claims such as this to receive offers of settlement from the other party that are
not broken down between the different heads of claim. For that reason it may not possible to see
what is offered for the insured losses and what is offered for any Additional Claims. It is also likely
that any such offer will be less than the total sums claimed. If this happens, by asking us to act in
pursuing the Additional Claims the executors would be agreeing to accept in settlement a portion of
the sum accepted in settlement. That portion will be calculated on the basis of the amount that the
Additional Claims represent of the total sums claimed. For example, if the total amount claimed is
£100 and £10 of that is an Additional Claim for uninsured losses, the executors’ portion will be 10%.
If the total sum accepted in settlement is £80, the executors will receive 10% of that which is £8.

My initial thought would be that it's either going to be free money, or no money - so no loss to you if they crack on.

If the house has been sold on as part of the estate, you could do what you like, but if it hasn't, and you (as far as they are concerned) stiff the ins company, they could cancel your insurance, which can make getting new insurance very difficult.

I'd talk to them, get it in writing that you're not on the hook for the legal costs if it doesn't work out - and as long as that's clear, crack on.
I'm just about to renew the insurance anyway and not with them.

My concern is that it sounds like possible costs to me could be incurred.

Also although I am currently still wading through a load of bureaucratic shit, I can just about see an end in site (I'm ever the optimist...but its waning) I really don't want more.

IIRC the subsidence has been dealt with and paid for, and the place is basically ready to sell.

In which case, I don't think I would risk having to pay out anything if the solicitors are unsuccessful, my gut feeling is the insurance company should carry all of that risk if they think they have a good chance of winning.

You mentioned the tree roots grew under the house reaching for the water source from the broken underground pipe at the back of the house, assuming that pipe is on private property, that would be be the property owners responsibly, so I think the council has a reasonable defence that was the cause of the roots growing in that direction.

It sounds very messy to me, and I would be inclined to avoid risking costs & more stress.

IIRC the subsidence has been dealt with and paid for, and the place is basically ready to sell.

In which case, I don't think I would risk having to pay out anything if the solicitors are unsuccessful, my gut feeling is the insurance company should carry all of that risk if they think they have a good chance of winning.

You mentioned the tree roots grew under the house reaching for the water source from the broken underground pipe at the back of the house, assuming that pipe is on private property, that would be be the property owners responsibly, so I think the council has a reasonable defence that was the cause of the roots growing in that direction.

It sounds very messy to me, and I would be inclined to avoid risking costs & more s
That was the pipe in late ma's back yard.

might be worth having a look at the tree policy for the council for that area, as roots encroaching on private property are usually responsibility of property owner
good luck either way!

That was the pipe in late ma's back yard.

The council could argue the burst pipe leaking water was the cause of the subsidence and/or caused the tree roots to grow more in that direction than they could have expected, so therefore they are not liable.

As I said before, all sounds very messy.

I would be inclined to speak to the insurance company and basically ask them to put in writing that you will not have to pay a single penny if they go ahead and lose, because it could be some free money, otherwise walk away.

Is it worth testing to see how serious they are.
Maybe reply saying for a fee of £10k up front plus a higher % say 35% you might be interested.
Also you would want a full indemnity against any and all costs plus a fee for your solicitor to check paperwork etc etc

Forgot to say just make sure they know you're not agreeing to anything just investigating their offer

They aren't saying you'd get 10%. That's an example if you included an "additional claim" (i.e. for uninsured losses). Did you suffer any losses that weren't insured?

Absolutely ask them what the benefit and possible losses might be to you before you say yes to anything. I'm not really clear about who this is for?

It's hard to tell from just that bit you've posted, but are they going to go ahead anyway? They might just be informing you that they are going to sue the council, that you might be liable for some of the "disbursements" like court searches as part of that, but that they can also include some (small) claims as part of their main claim. However, they are also saying that anything big would need to be done by you independently, paying your own costs.

So interesting but convoluted turn of events....

This insurance company really wants my assistance in settling this claim....however....recently I paid them £429.92 so that as part of the repairs and decoration (that I'd been waiting for since March 2021) the back elevation could be painted.

Along with a lot of other things and huge mess left it was not done and I put a big complaint in.

I went to London and the managing director of the repair and decoration company contracted to the insurance company....came to late ma's house to see first hand what I was hollering about. Very nice guy and it went well and I am satisfied with the outcome and reparation made. However..... what I learnt was that the £429.92 that I paid was not paid to them. He agreed to verify that the work had not been carried out.

I have emailed the insurance company asking to be reimbursed and also informing them that if they want my assistance in settling their claim with the
LA then I will need to be fully reimbursed first. I have let them know about my meeting with the CEO of the repair company and copied them in.

Otherwise they can go and fuck themselves.

Councils are facing lots of claims from insurance companies that are forcing them to fell healthy trees for no reason, for example when the insurance company doesn't want to pay for underpinning inadequate foundations, they will pressure the council or other neighbouring property owners into destroying all the nearby trees instead. Despite these claims being spurious in many cases, the risks of losing and incurring legal costs leads to people rolling over and agreeing to insurer demands.

In your case it appears the proximate cause of your subsidence was your broken drain, so it seems somewhat sad to assist the insurers in claiming from the council, as that will incentivise councils in the future to proactively remove trees from near properties to ward off further such claims, despite the fact the trees wouldn't have caused damage if the property had been sufficiently constructed and/or maintained in the first place.

Don't bother platinumsage I still have you on ignore and will continue to do so. I suggest you do one.

I don't keep a list of people who have declared they are ignoring me that I check carefully before posting, so sometimes ignorers are just gonna have to see my posts on their threads if for some reason they are viewing ignored content.

Back
Top Bottom