Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Send Mation to the Moon!

Is there some sort of equation that would describe the amount of time and number of misunderstandings likely before eventual realisation per head of population? Because I'm not sure we could get this sorted before the sun engulfs the planet, if we've got to go through it with everyone who can see the moon...

Is there some sort of equation that would describe the amount of time and number of misunderstandings likely before eventual realisation per head of population? Because I'm not sure we could get this sorted before the sun engulfs the planet, if we've got to go through it with everyone who can see the moon...
It's a declaration which can't be argued with as it's on the moon.

Don't destroy it!

Think of the

View attachment 257655
It's taken me a while to parse this, even though it now seems glaringly obvious :facepalm:

To be clear: I do not want to destroy the moon.

Very hard to type as I'm laughing so much 😂😂😂

Psytrance. It's psytrance that must be restored. But not at the expense of the moon 😂😂😂

DESTROYED!!! Not restored!! Fucking autocorrect!!

Mation we've had a whip round and we've got enough to send you to the top of Blackpool Tower. Which puts you approximately 0.00004% closer to the moon than you are now. Unless you live on a hill in which case it could actually be further from the moon.

You will have to make your own way to Blackpool however.

Turns out Blackpool Tower is in fact slightly higher than the moon...

157671616_4055294487834129_9145742657046599316_o.jpg

Just to keep you posted, I have now received an email with details of what I have to do for the initial screening process.

These are: to provide:
  • basic details (name, age, gender, optional job title)
  • photos (one at a minimum, but preferably more)
  • ~300-word answers to two questions, on what I'm 'passionate about', and how that thing, in conjunction with GOING TO THE FUCKING MOON, will 'contribute to society.'
With apologies, I cannot tell you my (under construction) responses, as they will be highly identifying.

However, (polite) suggestions from the hive mind for ways in which me going on a trip round the moon will benefit society are most welcome. :cool:

Everyone is always banging on about how good it is and how inventing it was such a big step for mankind but it's just not all that.

If it blew up noone would actually care.
If there were no moon there would be no more high and low tides. :(

The National Ocean Service says:

Predicting tides has always been important to people who look to the sea for their livelihood.

Navigating ships through shallow water ports, intracoastal waterways and estuaries requires knowledge of the time and height of the tides as well as the speed and direction of the tidal currents.

---

Coastal zone engineering projects, including the construction of bridges, docks, etc., require engineers to monitor fluctuating tide levels.

Scientists are concerned with tides, water levels and tidal currents as well. Ecologists may focus on the tidal mixing of near-shore waters, where pollutants are removed and nutrients are recirculated. Tidal currents also move floating animals and plants to and from breeding areas in estuaries to deeper waters. Oceanographers or atmospheric scientists may study tidal fluctuations to better understand the circulation of the ocean and its relationship to world climatic changes.

Being anywhere for too long with no amenities
Many, if not most places, yes. But super-duper science fiction turned fact, in reality? Well, maybe in some situational instances yes, but overall no. There'd be too much to do and think about, and too much that is intrinsically important to me to stop being super engaged for long.

That's because of my personal interests, though. (As in things I find interesting; not financial stakes, of which I have none.)

I’d be worried about getting there, having a look around and realising that’s all there is to see and what now but to return
Oh, me too. But I'd be even more worried that I'd missed a chance to do something I found spectacular.

That doesn't apply across the board to all things that are outside of my usual. But it would for some.

I’d be worried about getting there, having a look around and realising that’s all there is to see and what now but to return
I don't think you'd have to worry about returning. You've surely upset a lot of people in your life. Joke authors, café patrons, civil engineers to name a few. No, I think there's bound to be a former Nazi rocket scientist amongst the disgruntled and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went in for a little bit of kosmischmondgerechtigkeit.

However, (polite) suggestions from the hive mind for ways in which me going on a trip round the moon will benefit society are most welcome.
Tell them you want to meet the Clangers and learn about their technology - particularly the Soup Dragon - to benefit humanity on your return to Earth. And you also want study their physiology to work out how they can breathe in a vacuum or near vacuum. That'll put your application to the top of the pile.

We could easily replace tides with regularly passing powerboats, or dropping a large bomb in the river every couple of hours.
Underwater nukes twice a day might do it - probably need to do it in the middle of the ocean to avoid unpleasant side effects.

Back
Top Bottom