Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scotland and the EU: what next?

Nicola Sturgeon challenges Theresa May with second independence referendum bill
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...endence-snp-conference?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

On the one hand I think it's too soon for indyref2, but in the other, actually let's get this done. Vague talk and pussyfooting for years will only diminish the impact. So if it's going to happen, bring it on.
Bit surprised as I think it's too soon too. However I do know a few no voters who'd now vote yes because of Brexit so who knows.

Bit surprised as I think it's too soon too. However I do know a few no voters who'd now vote yes because of Brexit so who knows.
I think it's too soon, ideally. I don't think Brexit has made much of a difference. But like I say, it feels like a starting pistol was fired already, and whether we like it or not, the talk of a second referendum is in the air. If we let it mumble on, like an empty threat circumstances are daring us to make, then I think it'll slip away from us forever. So, hopefully we're not talking sooner than September 2019, but if it's happening let's stop the prevarication and just state that's what's happening.

What we need this time is better currency policy presentation (the options were correct, the signals were mishandled). The assumed preferred option should not be currency union.

And we need to be bolder: change is what we're after.

As it stands the Tories are currently playing into the pro-indepndence hands.

Lots of loose talk about lists of foreigners, hardline control over immigration, clammy palmed and weird obsession with expelling foreign students, hard Brexits, and so on will play badly with many formerly diehard No voters. Sure, voters will wait to see what the latest independence prospectus is, and how it matches against the new extreme-right normal south of the border.

No won last time because it played the uncertainty and currency union cards again and again and again, and built a loose coalition of opportunist shitebags ( a.k.a. the "I'm alright Jack / What's in it for me and mine? demographic) and old folk worried about their pensions.

Those cards (uncertainty- we have it in spades now and its not pleasant) and currency union (with a pound tanking badly and being bet against on the global markets) can't be played in round two. Only misty eyed appeals to a common future now as remote as the Battle of Britain remain.

However, Sturgeon is playing a careful hand. She has said enough to encourage the fundamnetalist wing of the grassroots membership, people who, let's be honest, haven't another political idea in their head other than Scottish independence for its own sake. They are a much smaller minority in the SNP than was the case 20-25 years ago. Secondly, she has animated the more pragmatically minded, who are already generating terabytes of data on alternative media about what a second referendum campaingn might look like.

But Sturgeon also, even though she can't publically say it, would accept some strange UK-specific deal that lets Scotland's EU membership /access to the single market continue, whilst also remaining part of the UK. This sort of strange post-Brexit devo-max is, I suspect, her preferred option. The numbers on support for independence still don't add up, even if they are moving very slowly in the right direction, and do so with every Farage-lite utterance from the PM.

The trouble for this strategy? EU opinion is hardening and they will quite happily make Scotland a casualty to inflict the maximum punishment on the UK as a whole, taking what Tusk and Hollande have said this week. The voices of German car manufacturers are fading. In these circumstances, a second independence referendum- if a "special status" for Scotland is shot down by hardline EU negotiators- is inevitable. A queston of when, rather than if.

Lots in play and far too complex for the 24h news media to grasp fully /cover properly.

the fundamnetalist wing of the grassroots membership, people who, let's be honest, haven't another political idea in their head other than Scottish independence for its own sake. They are a much smaller minority in the SNP than was the case 20-25 ago
Is that last sentence correct? It's not how it feels to look at social media. My sense is that it's got much worse and they have even less politics. Not sure if they're all SNP members, but there's a huge fundamentalist presence which is miles away from what the SNP leadership says.

They appear louder *because* of social media which is a tiny sliver of opinion.

If you looked at my social media timeline you'd believe the UK was being run by a Corbyn-Sturgeon coalition.

In the period immediately after the EU vote, I found that many people I spoke to here in London were taking it pretty much for granted that Scotland would now have a second independence referendum, and that people would vote in favour. But it was quite noticeable that when I was actually in Scotland a couple of weeks later, it didn't feel like there was very much appetite for it at all - or at least, not amongst those previous "no" voters who might now have been swung towards yes by Brexit.

Of course, my samples in both places will not have been in any way accurately representative of broader opinion.

I do think, though, that if I had a vote in an independence referendum, I could well be swung from "really don't know" to "actually maybe yes" by the whole Brexit situation.

So, Scotland has voted in firmly favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38% - with all 32 council areas backing Remain. UK-wide votes 52% to 48% to leave.

So what happens now?

Is there appetite for indyref2? Can we assume that enough No voters will be persuaded to change to Yes on the basis of their Remain sentiments?

Or will Sturgeon and the SNP leadership opt to negotiate for a devolved Scotland to remain in the EU while still part of a UK that is in the process of leaving? (The "Denmark option").

Will those in the SNP keen for indyref2 hold sway, or will a more cautious approach prevail?

Or what?

Here be the thread.
In the immediate post referendum period I did think that I would change my vote re independence, however, sanity returned.

Could be a situation where Scotland votes for independence and negotiates a re-entry (or possibly a 'never-really-left') into the EU, but keeps the pound. Its 'independence' would be interestingly constrained.
That demonstrated the lunacy of the SNP more than anything, yes, the pound will be our currency. As a new entrant, IIRC, the Euro would have been mandatory.

In the period immediately after the EU vote, I found that many people I spoke to here in London were taking it pretty much for granted that Scotland would now have a second independence referendum, and that people would vote in favour. But it was quite noticeable that when I was actually in Scotland a couple of weeks later, it didn't feel like there was very much appetite for it at all - or at least, not amongst those previous "no" voters who might now have been swung towards yes by Brexit.

Of course, my samples in both places will not have been in any way accurately representative of broader opinion.

I do think, though, that if I had a vote in an independence referendum, I could well be swung from "really don't know" to "actually maybe yes" by the whole Brexit situation.

It obviously does not occur to the mono-thought Sturgeon, that if she had her wish, Scotland would be under the aegis of a 'foreign court', which is one of the blood and soil nationalist's objections at the moment.

I think Sturgeon needs to seek professional help. Her delusions seem to have taken her over.

The UK is out of the EU. That includes Scotland.
No it isn't, it hasn't even officially started the leaving process yet.

A very strong majority of the Scottish electorate want to stay in the EU, why shouldn't she try to maintain Scotlands EU membership. Deluded is ranting on about the 'Scottish Nazi Party'

The results were very positive.

The beeb wasn't too happy, obviously, when the TD spoke glowingly.

irish-abuse-caption-300x172.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere
After this week’s supreme court ruling, Sturgeon said: “Is Scotland content for our future to be dictated by an increasingly rightwing Westminster government with just one MP here, or is it better that we take our future into our own hands?” However, so far, this argument has delivered only modest returns, with 12% of no/remain voters switching their vote towards independence.

So why has this small but notable shift not moved the headline numbers? The movement among this group has been offset by a much larger swing among those who voted yes to independence in 2014 but then voted to leave the EU last year. Despite only making up 14% of Scottish voters, 43% of these leave/yes voters have since abandoned their pro-independence position, with 28% now saying they would vote to stay in the union.
Quite interesting about the Leave+Yes voters, and where they might go in future (short term I can't see them moving from the SNP)

As far as I'm aware most of the polls were framed as 'do you want indyref 2 in 2017?'.

Only the yoons want that, most indy supporters don't. We're looking at late 2018/early2019. Another year and a half or so suits us just fine.

They know it's coming, they want to control the timing to give them an advantage but the timing belongs to us. We need that time. The 'official' line is we need to convince some more people. Most conversations are about how much more damage will be caused by BLiS, the tories, westminster in general and so on...we're quite happy letting them do our job for us just now.

Latest election results

SCOT goes POP!: Kalamity Kez Krushed in Kilmarnock as SNP win by-election on 9% swing

the result in 2012 was about as near as you can get to a dead heat (Labour trailed by only 0.7%), so the fact that the SNP are now almost 20% clear tells its own story.

It does a bit, funny though. :D
Did you find it funny? I thought you were posting it as a sign of how out of touch 'London' was from Scottish politics.
Its shit like this that just pushes people more to want Independence.
Id like to leave the UK after seeing that!

Back
Top Bottom