Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Say hello to Barratt Homes' 'Brixton Square' on Coldharbour Lane (old Cooltan site)

I have not had time to post them up individually but the figures for Lambeth even at 60% of market rent are high.

Its states but the spreadsheet is useful info on the effect of these housing "reforms"

I have not had time to post them up individually but the figures for Lambeth even at 60% of market rent are high.

Its states but the spreadsheet is useful info on the effect of these housing "reforms"

can you explain? which figures are too high?

can you explain? which figures are too high?

Its the link to the Spreadsheet in my #449

Lambeth is number 148 on list. The first columns show the salary required if the "affordable" rent was set at 80% ( the maximum) the last columns if it set at 60% of market rent. The spreadsheet also shows the shortfall (in case of Lambeth) based on the current ( end of 2011 in this article) average gross median annual income of social housing households in England, before receipt of housing benefit, of £13,000 a year.

So the salary needed for a one bed flat in Lambeth at 80% of market rent is £34 114. The next column shows that the shortfall from medium income (£13 000) is therefore £21 114.

Scroll along spreadsheet to see the figures for 60% of market rent. (Which I think the Council is trying to get providers to do). Then the salary required for a one bed flat is £25 586. The shortfall from medium income of £13 000 is therefore £12 586.

So for Lambeth even if "affordable" rents are set at 60% the salary requires a salary that is higher than a lot of people.

The map here that gives the 80% of market value is more understandable. You can zoom in to specific parts of London. The different colours show the income needed to afford to rent a room at the "affordable" housing level . See table at bottom of map. You can zoom into London and click on boroughs to see what salaries are needed for one bed flats and studio flats at 80% "affordable" level.

As map shows large parts of London are red and black compared with outside London. Meaning higher income is needed. So the effect of reforms will be to push people out of central London.

Thanks. Interesting.

Is it a more extreme version of the familiar story of private renters or owners who leave for affordability reasons?

Its a political policy to destroy all that has been built up since the end of WW2 to provide decent affordable housing.

Private renters have had there rights reduced over the last thirty years. So that they are at the mercy of "market forces".

And 100% and interest only mortgages have gone the way of the dodo (not a bad thing as they drove the btl profiteering)
Wow wow wow have just come across this blog by chance, I have bought one of the two bed apartments in BRIXTON SQUARE, the first phase is already sold out. It may not be the most pleasing block to the eye, but location, price, high spec, it is far superior than most of the apartments I have seen in this price bracket, can't wait till October when I can move in. I am not a stockbroker if I was I would have bought the penthouse .

Wow wow wow have just come across this blog by chance, I have bought one of the two bed apartments in BRIXTON SQUARE, the first phase is already sold out. It may not be the most pleasing block to the eye, but location, price, high spec, it is far superior than most of the apartments I have seen in this price bracket, can't wait till October when I can move in. I am not a stockbroker if I was I would have bought the penthouse .
Wealth always feels relative, but if you can afford one of these flats, you are rich. Don't try and deny it :D

You have overpaid I'm afraid fella. Still, you can save money by shopping local (i.e. not in Tesco or Sainsbury) and getting involved in the local community. Welcome to Brixton.

What attracted you here?

I have my suspicions ur not a real poster.

This sounds like advertising blurb to me.

Could be this post is a wind up.

After all if u google Brixton Square the Barratts website come first and the Urban thread second. So its not hard to find.

Fucking hell I just looked at the prices! And the cheeky cunts calling them stuff like Windrush to try and appeal to Brixton history.

I have my suspicions ur not a real poster.

This sounds like advertising blurb to me.

Could be this post is a wind up.

After all if u google Brixton Square the Barratts website come first and the Urban thread second. So its not hard to find.

Agreed - it does look like a wind-up.

The prices may seem high but are probably lower than many other areas of London, including some that have only recently become popular such as East Dulwich and Balham.

Average London salary is about £30k. That gets you a mortgage of £120k. Those flats start at £339k. Unless you are releasing equity from selling a flat you'd need to be on about £80k to buy one of these, nearly 3 times the average London salary. And that's the average salary. Many, many people who are not 'poor' earn a lot less than that.

Hi folks, I previously looked at a flat in Clapham, Wingate Square about the same size £625,000 could not afford it but was just Interested in what that sort of money could buy in Clapham, and the answer was NOT A LOT. I know the Brixton Square apartment sound a lot but in comparison it sounds good value for money for a London Location. Not advertising blurb, I have just seen. Lot of rubbish for not. Lot less.
cheers for the welcome BRIXTON HATTER, is Marks and Spencer's ok to shop in lol

And yet quite bad value compared to the 30 2 bed flats I just found on a property search in Brixton for £100k less than the price of a Brixton Square flat. That's a lot of money for any modernisation and fancy fixtures and fittings one might want.

At £100k less than Brixton Square, £230k is still much more than someone on an average salary can afford. You don't sound like a very astute purchaser to be frank if that's the best you can do when bargain hunting.

And yet quite bad value compared to the 30 2 bed flats I just found on a property search in Brixton for £100k less than the price of a Brixton Square flat. That's a lot of money for any modernisation and fancy fixtures and fittings one might want.

At £100k less than Brixton Square, £230k is still much more than someone on an average salary can afford. You don't sound like a very astute purchaser to be frank if that's the best you can do when bargain hunting.

True.

But the point obtains ... Brixton Square is cheaper than equivalent properties in Clapham and so may sell well.

Not yet. But that debate and those concerns are of little concern to buyers.
I think the area they're moving into is pretty high of the list of things to be concerned about when people are spending over a quarter of a million on a flat, you know.

What I meant was that they do not share your concerns about Brixton turning into Clapham. In fact they probably would welcome such an outcome. And, since Claphamisation seems to be happening, £330,000 may not be that overpriced.

What I meant was that they do not share your concerns about Brixton turning into Clapham. In fact they probably would welcome such an outcome. And, since Claphamisation seems to be happening, £330,000 may not be that overpriced.
Well, yes. I don't imagine many of the people buying property in Brixton Square have much of a particular interest in the Brixton I know and love. But then, most of the buyers seem to be buy to let profit-seekers, so I don't imagine their here-today gone-tomorrow tenants are going to get much of a chance to contribute to Brixton's character.

Sorry if my punctuation is not up to scratch, I am doing the best I can with the tools I have. I really don't understand leandermans comment about me being an astute purchaser, I like the location,I like the size and spec of the property, and I can afford the price. It ticks all my boxes and I am very content thank you very much.one mans meat etc.
I do agree with the comments regarding the buy to let's as I know one investor has purchased 5 apartments, if he has that much cash I reckon he is probably more astute than you.

I do agree with the comments regarding the buy to let's as I know one investor has purchased 5 apartments, if he has that much cash I reckon he is probably more astute than you.
Is he really? Could you explain your reasoning behind that personal slur, bearing in mind you know fuck all about my circumstances. Thanks.

Seeing as we'll soon be close neighbours, I can see you're already doing your bit to blend in with the existing community. I hope the rest aren't like you.

:facepalm:

Younger Claphamites can't afford to buy in Clapham, hence the prices in Brixton/Streatham going up as they seek affordable properties close by. Claphamites be expanding....

Back
Top Bottom