Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Say hello to Barratt Homes' 'Brixton Square' on Coldharbour Lane (old Cooltan site)

editor

hiraethified
Gotta dig the edgy font.

brixton-square-coldharbour-lane-02.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixton...harbour-lane-acquires-suitably-edgy-typeface/

Anyone seen any prices to buy "off plan"?
I asked the two building site workers closing up this afternoon when the sales office was opening and the younger Polish one keenly asked if I was interested to buy. When I said I didn't need to 'cos my house was allegedly worth £XXX,XXX and they'd better hurry up in case the London house market crashed the English guy raised his eyes to heaven "Another Brixton nutter here!"

Could they try any harder? As if the new glossy black walls and flags they put up weren't enough of give away.

I wonder if they're going to construct a private walkway to the arcade so the tenants don't have to leave their comfort zone but can still feel hip

This was the original Places for People application for the site. It must have been renewed as was agreed in 2007 with 3 years to implement.

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=J9JS1QBO71000
I heard Barratt Homes just bought that planning proposal, so it looks this hefty development is what we'll be getting:
06/04037/FUL | Redevelopment of the site involving demolition of the existing buildings and erection of part-five and part-seven storey building with a lower ground floor to provide 155 residential units comprising 54 x 1 bed, 90 x 2 bed, 6 x 3 bed and 5 x 4 bed and 923 sqm of commercial floorspace (Class A1, A2, and B1), together with provision of internal courtyard, with 2 disabled car parking spaces, cycle stores, refuse store, a roof garden at first floor level, landscaping and boundary treatment. (Town Planning and Conservation Area Consent applications received) | 368 To 372 Coldharbour Lane London
No mention of a public square then, so it looks like Brixton Square will in fact be Brixton GerrOffMyLand Square.

I heard Barratt Homes just bought that planning proposal, so it looks this hefty development is what we'll be getting:
No mention of a public square then, so it looks like Brixton Square will in fact be Brixton GerrOffMyLand Square.

If Places for People had made sure the planning permission was current it would have be part of the deal when the land was sold. Should mean they got better price for land.

It will be private square. Calling something a square seems to be latest thing. It sounds good to call it a square.

Barratt buys in Brixton
Barratt Homes has bought the land at 368-372 Coldharbour Lane in Brixton, SW9, for [pounds sterling]8.5m. The site has planning permission from Lambeth council for 155 homes across seven floors. The vendor, Places for People, was advised by Cluttons; Barratt Homes was unrepresented.

from
http://business.highbeam.com/410547/article-1G1-280071954/deals
If there are any further large developments like this we should make sure the planning permission is personal to the applicants or RISE UP!

If Places for People had made sure the planning permission was current it would have be part of the deal when the land was sold. Should mean they got better price for land.

It will be private square. Calling something a square seems to be latest thing. It sounds good to call it a square.
Will it be gated?

Is there a more miserable, soul-destroying phrase than 'gated community'?
Quite - and there's one round the corner at Loughborough Junction (above the former Warrior ph). I'm beginning to think that Lambeth Planning respond best to applications inspired by Fascist Italy (but without the design values).

"Gated community" means something like this:

640px-Saskatoon_gated_community.JPG

A whole area of streets and homes, with restricted access and probably private security.

When an apartment block has a gate to restrict access to its carpark/back yard, then it's not a gated community, it's just an apartment block.

Talking of back yards, it's incredible to see that the adjacent new build is still unfinished along its Valentia Place flank, with breeze block walls still exposed.

Actually maybe that's a better way to think about gated communities: that it's us - the rest of society - locking away them - undesirables - behind the gates.

(And Crispy - yes I take your point about the distinction: I don't object to gates wholesale...)

"Gated community" means something like this:
When an apartment block has a gate to restrict access to its carpark/back yard, then it's not a gated community, it's just an apartment block.
Maybe the Barratt thingy will qualify then. But you could hardly call the Warrior a concierge, could you. Just crap design IMHO.

Talking of back yards, it's incredible to see that the adjacent new build is still unfinished along its Valentia Place flank, with breeze block walls still exposed.
Remember they're still paying off their section 106 contribution at £13,000 a month. I expect they are watching their cash-flow.

Back
Top Bottom