Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rushcroft Road - is it too posh? Maybe we need another riot?

The general environment of my primary school (Loughborough) was great, but it had really poor SATs results. My secondary school (Stockwell Park) was a sink school and fucking awful in all areas.

I think that seems to be the way in Lambeth in general, the Primary schools are pretty adequate, some of the church schools very very good.

The problems come at Secondary level.

I'm another ex "Stockwell Parker", the school was shit when I went back in the early 90's, I hear it's still pretty ropey now even though big investments have been made.

There was a right bunch of braying toffs in Honest Foods this afternoon, probably planning the next wave of gentrification.

I'm sure you'll say you had your tongue firmly planted in cheek Ed but that's probably the least savoury post I've seen of yours.

I've just read Small Island and that chimes horribly with the bigotry in the book bestowed on "non-locals" simply by virtue of their manner and the sound of their voice without any subjective investigation. A far greater bigotry, but a bigotry all the same. Brixton is inclusive, not exclusive and we'd all do well to bear that in mind. It's what makes it fucking great.

Anyway, as for the topic under discussion I lived on Rushcroft Road for a couple of years, around 2005. Generally it was a friendly, if noisy, and messy street. We had a problem with unwelcome visitors, but we'd lived in Brixton long enough to anticipate an impact from CHL. The mansion blocks are extremely attractive places to live, it's no surprise that they're sought after. I'd just hope that any change occurs on the inside and the general landscape stays the same.

There are plenty of poor families who send their kids to private schools. I know of at least two struggling families on this estate doing just that....I'm sure there are more...

It's foolish to underestimate the sacrifices that some parents will make for their children's education. I'm fairly certain that my parents would have near impoverished themselves (and probably relatives) had I wanted to go to a private school. I actually remember just being immensely relieved that I managed to sneak the 11-plus and didn't have to put them through it. It's slightly depressing that had so little faith in the local schools even then.

I'd love it if the middle classes in and around Brixton were committed to supporting and improving local schools, by sending their own kids there. No doubt that a good balance of class, culture and ethnicity makes for a great school, especially when the middle classes become governors, fund-raisers, etc. Pimlico school was very much like this back in the 90's and it was really quite a special place. Unfortunately, the more well-heeled residents of Brickie Hill will fight tooth and nail to avoid sending their offspring to some of our less fortunate schools. The campaign to build a new secondary school in Brixton some years ago was dominated by trendy professionals who nearly fell over when they heard that it would be built on Shakespeare Road.

Tell me about it shygirl! They completely alienated local families by calling us a crime-ridden area and saying Brixton Hill would be much safer and more suitable. :mad:

Obviously don't remember the 81 or 85 riots, but good post.

OP, I know (hope) this thread was started in semi jest, but think about it ffs.
You might feel quite the badman telling your friends where you live and how low your rent is (or are you squatting a much needed council flat?) but how does keeping Brixton scummy help it's residents?

MIDDLE CLASS PEOPLE: Come! Come and enjoy our good transport links, lovely houses and vibrant community! But while you're here push for decent schools, decent doctors surgeries, police that actually give a shit, and any kind of leisure facilities. Write those well worded letters! People actually listen to you!

i agree with pip!

I do too, to a certain degree. However, what I'd be scared about is Brixton becoming a place where I couldn't afford to live. Like nick h, if rents rose by a little bit more I'd be pushed out. There's nowhere else in London I want to live, and I'd hate to become priced out by the popularity of an area I love and actually want to participate in.

but rents are outrageous in london where ever you are really!

also nick h if you say your rent is low then if it went up even a fraction then you would go out and work a bit more. it is actually as easy as that.
i disagree with overly inflated rents too. but you get those in say deptford as well.

i know because i have lived in a squat once for a while and one always adjusts to a low rent. when my rent went up afterwards i suddenly worked a bit more.

i do know at least 1 person in rushcroft road squatting and others at housing cooperatives who actually earn nice salaries and yet have to pay no rent. so i do feel a bit bitter about that.

Eh, as someone who owns a flat omn Rushcroft Road and until recently owned an Audi, I feel perfectly qualified not to comment on this thread at all.

there is something going on with that road as a few squats were served eviction papers very recently..some of the Chelsea tractor owners looking to buy up some cheap council property perhaps..hmmm

More like the council desperate for money I think - they lost something like 100m worth of property in the 1980s/1990s.

The general environment of my primary school (Loughborough) was great, but it had really poor SATs results. My secondary school (Stockwell Park) was a sink school and fucking awful in all areas.

Hopefully the new Evelyn Grace is a ray of light on local secondary schools. A mate (urbanite who I won't out) who works there says that first signs are that it's really really good. :)

Hopefully the new Evelyn Grace is a ray of light on local secondary schools. A mate (urbanite who I won't out) who works there says that first signs are that it's really really good. :)

I hope so. How many students are there? Maybe the key is smaller schools where the teachers actually get to know their pupils and, hopefully, care about how well they do.

I hope so. How many students are there? Maybe the key is smaller schools where the teachers actually get to know their pupils and, hopefully, care about how well they do.

Can't remember - not very large now since it only has the first year's intake.

But I do know that it's split into two mini schools (Evelyn & Grace) so that it works more like a Harry Potter style house system.

Back
Top Bottom