Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rushcroft Road - is it too posh? Maybe we need another riot?

Hmm. I don't share your optimism. The housing stock in Brixton is so grand and the transport is so good that gentrification will just keep going. The recession will slow it down for a while, but one day Brixton will do a Notting Hill. How can it be stopped? Private landlords want to poshify it, and the council is helping them. Nobody else seems to have much influence.

I do kind of agree with you, but speaking as someone who was born, bred, and raised in Brixton I welcome gentrification with open arms.

Isn't this topic a bit 2003 anyway? :confused:

Work more on staggering around the town centre in a drunken haze, haranguing passers-by.

That's a fair point. The alkies under the tree in front of the Ritzy probably have more influence over property prices than anybody else. But I've given up drink. Anyway, I have no idea how I could afford enough cider to keep me that messed up 24/7. I'd love to know where they get the money.

That's a fair point. The alkies under the tree in front of the Ritzy probably have more influence over property prices than anybody else. But I've given up drink. Anyway, I have no idea how I could afford enough cider to keep me that messed up 24/7. I'd love to know where they get the money.
It's all about knowing your enemy, you see. Direct threats to the gentry will just get you improved security. But no yuppie mum wants a beery comment right in her face as she pushes her off-road pram down the street.

I do kind of agree with you, but speaking as someone who was born, bred, and raised in Brixton I welcome gentrification with open arms.

Isn't this topic a bit 2003 anyway? :confused:

It's been a while definitely, since anyone has claimed to be the only white person allowed to live in Brixton.

Funnily enough the gentrification arguments seemed to stop about the same time as I moved in.

It's been a while definitely, since anyone has claimed to be the only white person allowed to live in Brixton.

Funnily enough the gentrification arguments seemed to stop about the same time as I moved in.

Yeah I remember that, property prices plummeted. You did a good job of halting it :cool:

There was a right bunch of braying toffs in Honest Foods this afternoon, probably planning the next wave of gentrification.

Talking of which, I loved this cartoon in today's Guardian:

Claremain1802.jpg

ROFl. That was the thing about the gentrification arguments on here - the most vitriolic posts generally came from well meaning, often public school educated folks who had already moved here from the suburbs and now wanted to pull the drawbridge up after them

Rushcroft Road's a strange old place. I can't say, even allowing for the mates in squats on the road, that it's the most welcoming place. In a perfect world they give the road a spruce up and continue to have a high proportion of social housing, but the reality is that they'll end up turfing out numerous needy people in favour of some overpriced townhouse apartments. And they're almost guaranteed to be filled by people who can't understand why such a costly purchase is surrounded by less savoury elements.

It's all relative, of course. From where I stand, Clapham High Street is a hive of scum and villainy.

It's all relative, of course. From where I stand, Clapham High Street is a hive of scum and villainy.

Whereas we just see it as a nondescript stretch of chain pubs and braying accountants. Clapham High Road is just so disappointing.

Nobody should be allowed in this forum unless they live in Coldharbour Ward. All outsiders who post here will have their cars torched.

Nobody should be allowed in this forum unless they live in Coldharbour Ward. All outsiders who post here will have their cars torched.
I've only just realised that I'm in the Brixton forum. That's the problem with using "New Posts". How frightful!

So, you're gentrifying this forum by trying to make it exclusive to a smaller amount of people.

Well done :D

No, he's just trying to keep the Suburban bumpkins out, from the wastelands of Streatham to beyond. I salute him.

Furthermore, Coldharbour Ward residents will lose their posting privileges here if:

- they have a car
- they buy fruit from M&S
- they wear shoes I do not like

Actually you do have to be exceptionally stupid (or very lazy) to pick up fruit from M&S, or their overpriced spuds for that matter. Unless they're on special of course, which makes them almost normal price.

I have to confess - and this is not a troll - I would love to know what the long term effects of a riot would be. Nobody hurt, just flash cars torched and estate agents' windows put in. Would gentrification be put back much?

Insurance premiums will go up for the normal people living there maybe, making it harder for them to afford it and then moving out of the area. Allowing the landlords to claim, gentrify and expand.

Just like what happened last time.

I have to confess - and this is not a troll - I would love to know what the long term effects of a riot would be. Nobody hurt, just flash cars torched and estate agents' windows put in. Would gentrification be put back much?

Not that I particularly want to defend estate agents... but what would be the point of targeting them? They also sell and let the cheaper properties that whoever falls within your definition of acceptable wealth need to live in.

Furthermore, Coldharbour Ward residents will lose their posting privileges here if:

- they have a car
- they buy fruit from M&S
- they wear shoes I do not like

I've owened a car while living in Brixton, I've bought fruit from M&S and I probably wear shoes you don't like. :)

Actually you do have to be exceptionally stupid (or very lazy) to pick up fruit from M&S, or their overpriced spuds for that matter. Unless they're on special of course, which makes them almost normal price.

Lazy and wealthy with mortgage smaller than the rent on my spare room. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom