Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roger Waters self indulgent twat / not self indulgent twat

Water's is...

• Total voters
I briefly met that Laetitia Sadier many years ago when I saw McCarthy supporting The Chills, she was doing a stall with the band after the gig. She was a right stuck up po-faced miserable git, but the band were all genuinely lovely people. So there's that i suppose.

once saw them at the Lexington and there was a very tall guy in front of me who later spilled his beer on my new converse. horrible band.
Why do tall people always gravitate to the front?

Have some manners tall people. Have some manners.

Lewis Capaldi always seems like a nice, funny chap. Perhaps we could adopt him as Urban's fave popular music entertainer?

saw her last week. She sang a Morrisey song and said Angela Eagle would be the best PM for Britain.
That would take quite a bit of plotting on political compass.

'I hear you're a centrist racist now father'.

I briefly met that Laetitia Sadier many years ago when I saw McCarthy supporting The Chills, she was doing a stall with the band after the gig. She was a right stuck up po-faced miserable git, but the band were all genuinely lovely people. So there's that i suppose.
I've worked with her quite a bit over the years, and she has always been wonderful to work with, creative, funny, knowledgable, engaging and nothing but a joy to be around. Great woman.

I've worked with her quite a bit over the years, and she has always been wonderful to work with, creative, funny, knowledgable, engaging and nothing but a joy to be around. Great woman.
Funnily enough the worst opinions people have of "celebrities" tend to come from people who don't actually know them, or people who had one awkward/misinterpreted encounter x years ago at such and such event, or people who form opinions via third part gossip/hearsay... That's one aspect of humans I deplore.

Also, so much of what people say is taken out of context, I tend to take everything with a pinch of salt.

Followed by a retraction:

I have to say, I've met her briefly and know people who know her, and it's all positive. I get the impression, though, that she likes to get to the point and doesn't mess around.

When Syd Barrett died there was a letter in Viz, "I was saddened that before he died Syd Barrett wasn't reduced in circumstances enough to have to resort to cleaning shoes at train stations for a living, so we could get a photo of him in the papers with the headline, 'Shine on you crazy diamond.'"

I can't believe Urban collectively can't dig out something dodgy that Cyndi Lauper allegedly said in the 80s.
I used to go out with Cyndi in the early 90's. She was great fun and she cooked a mean lasagne.
I moved in with her after a couple of months and things were really looking like wedding bells.
After a fortnight though I left and we split up, I just couldn't stand that phone ringing in the middle of the night all the time.

Followed by a retraction:

I have to say, I've met her briefly and know people who know her, and it's all positive. I get the impression, though, that she likes to get to the point and doesn't mess around.
I did know that and accept I was being a bit cruel. Couldn't resist tho

let's face it, if we stopped listening to music made by total cunts then we'd be fucking bored senseless listening to Cyndi Lauper albums on repeat

The political leanings of musicians doesn’t bother me too much unless they’re out and out right wing and it’s overtly in the music. There are bands whose politics I’d broadly agree with but the music is so fucking awful that it’s not getting on my play list anytime soon (E.g. Crass, Manic Street Preachers, about 80% of Punk, etc.). Good tunes well played are important and righteous lyrics do not redeem lack of melody. Bob Dylan for one, has the words but where the fuck are his tunes?

Egocentrism, narcissism, tortured geniuses. Popular music has been full of them since the beginning of time. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Musicians/rock stars almost always come unstuck when they start addressing issues directly. I always thought Springsteen, for example, sat more comfortably when his politics were implied in his empathetic depictions of blue collar working class life. Since he started speaking out directly he seems to have alienated many of those, especially in his homeland, who are the very people he writes about but who can't stomach the smug, elitist liberalism he has, whatever his true views might be, made himself synonymous with by his overt support for Obama and Hilary.

Sting, Bono, Peter Gabriel etc etc, however well-meaning they might be in their public declarations, always leave themselves open to being viewed as ultra-wealthy members of the semi-mythical liberal establishment.

Waters, meanwhile, seems to be ploughing his own furrow.

Last edited:
Singers (& lead guitarists) just have to be egotistical to do their job. Otherwise you're a Nick Drake, Ian Curtis, Kurt Cobain. There's no grounding you, nothing to stop you being one step away (or less) from a conspiraloon.

You need the Party more than it needs you.

Back
Top Bottom